Double thinking the new Predator.....

Rampage8408

Registered
Ok so I recently purchased the sneaky predator with a s tuned z2 shaft which means seyberts made it a pro taper but ever since ive got this cue ive shot horrible.....im usually a high 5 in apa and last session with old cue (Cuetec360) I was 15-2 and this last session with the predator i went 4-15.....and tonite i while me and a buddy were shootin i was jaggin shots like crazy so i decided to pull out the ol 360 and went lights out on him after tht....is it the diff in size since the 360 is 12.75 and the z2 is 11.75 or is it the cue itself......idk but im deff rethinkin my purchase.....any thoughts???

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably is the shaft itself. The visual difference between a 11.75mm vs a 12.75mm can throw you off as you sight down the shaft taper. Also, with significantly less deflection, your cue ball actually starts to curve in the opposite direction instead of deflecting as usual. That's why many people think the Z shaft is more "wild".

It's a misconception that many people think "oh, the Z shaft is for better players, so once I get good, then I can move up the ladder and use it instead of the 314". No. It's just a different shaft with a different playing characteristic. Either you like it, or you hate it.

I would say, stick with it for awhile (no pun intended). If you eventually decide that you don't like the missing deflection / extra curving of the cue ball / visually thin taper, then just sell it.

Rampage8408

Registered
ok well i just sold it to a buddy for 400 a lil less then wat i paid but i used it for a bit so now im lookin for new options and almost thinkin of a new Cuetec unless somthing else hits me eye for tht price

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss is a good option, or Mezz for more money.
I'm shooting with a Joss+Z2 and I'm happy with it.
I shoot wit a 2000$ Predator Thora, and I didn't like it at all.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually had a different "problem" w/the Z-2 shaft. I bought one and thought I played pretty sporty with it, but hated the looks of the tiny ferrule/tip. So, I bought a 314-2 and didn't play as well with it, so I had it turned down closer to the Z-2 (thinking that may be the issue) and STILL didn't play as well with it. So, I am kind of "stuck" between a shaft that I play really well with but hate the looks of cosmetically, or a shaft that is more pleasing to the eye, but I don't play as well with. I know it sounds silly, but it gets in my head a little.

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok well i just sold it to a buddy for 400 a lil less then wat i paid but i used it for a bit so now im lookin for new options and almost thinkin of a new Cuetec unless somthing else hits me eye for tht price

So fast! I thought you would maybe give the 314 a try before selling the butt.

I actually had a different "problem" w/the Z-2 shaft. I bought one and thought I played pretty sporty with it, but hated the looks of the tiny ferrule/tip. So, I bought a 314-2 and didn't play as well with it, so I had it turned down closer to the Z-2 (thinking that may be the issue) and STILL didn't play as well with it. So, I am kind of "stuck" between a shaft that I play really well with but hate the looks of cosmetically, or a shaft that is more pleasing to the eye, but I don't play as well with. I know it sounds silly, but it gets in my head a little.

I have a solution: shoot with the 314-2 until a shot that you know you gonna miss, and then switch to the Z-2 shaft and shoot with your eyes closed.

Rampage8408

Registered
haha yea I prolly wouldve waited a lil longer but my buddies cues broke last nite when we were playin and he offered to buy it so i said screw it its urs.....especially since I was shootin good again with the 360......just gonna order a new 360 and call it a day and go back to winning......I guess I do see why everyone changes so many cues before finding ur pearl caus I deff dnt think tht Predator was for me

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the matter with the 360 you already had? I have shot with those, shoot pretty good in my opinion. If I was shooting real good with it, I would stick with it.

Rampage8408

Registered
well the one i have is actually now my brothers i gave it to him when i got my new one......but he keeps it at my house caus I have a table in the garage and its the only place he shoots

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 360 is pretty soft imho, maybe he wanted a stiffer cue?! problem i had while looking for e new cue/shaft combo was that i liked conical tapers, but most of the shafts on the market didnt feel good to me... until mezz came with the wx900. that being said, its difficult to say if someone is going to like a cue/shaft, thats why you should maybe try out more cues if you have the possibility.
I was pretty sure that a Z shaft would suit me ideally, untill i played with one... saved me several hundred bucks. tried the mezz and liked it much more.
So maybe you should be looking for players with different equipments (maybe even on here) and try as many cues and shafts as possible (ob, mezz, tiger, etc....) to chose your final equipment. this "toys" aint cheap thats why maybe its your best option... on the other hand, ordering cues, shafts and all the wonderfull stuff to try out is a hobby for some people and they enjoy it ;)

tattooedkingpin

Registered
I have played with the Z-2 & Z-2, S-Tuned and it definitely takes awhile to get used to how it plays. It's not something that you can master in a couple hours. Personally, I think the OB Pro plus is superior to them both, but that's what works for me, you may hate it. No one person is the same, so if the Cuetec360 has you going 15-2, then I'd spend my money getting back-up shafts instead, unless you like trying new products like bender_lu mentioned above. Have you every shot with a custom cue?

Rampage8408

Registered
no never tried a custom....ive only shot with my 360 my predator my buddies dale perry and another buddies peachur with ob shaft and a couple diff mcdermotts one bein my buddies mcdermott hustler......but I still love the feel of my 360

Rampage8408

Registered
and I thought maybe i would get used to it.....but when i used to go so postive in league then i switch to the predator and shoot a whole session and ended up 4-16......so i dnt think its for me.....

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well if you liked the feel of the 360, maybe its the best idea to go back to one? their entire cues are not that expensive, if you sell the pred on here you even got some money left for your favorite tip etc....

since i found a cue a like ill not change anless it falls apart :p

jessel

The new 314-3 plays jam up with a Ki Tech medium on it. You're welcome

I agree. I just got a new 314 and I love it. I was shooting with a z2 shaft for a few months and loved but decided to try the new 314 because I got it as a steal and it's now my favorite.