Last 4 Ever Tip Tool

mi1an0

Registered
Hello everyone, i need help in choosing which tip tool should i buy....will play with Pure HXT15 cue (with kamui 12.75 tip) and don't know which is better for me, dime or nickel radius? i'm not in USA so not familiar with coin curves

thanks

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, i need help in choosing which tip tool should i buy....will play with Pure HXT15 cue (with kamui 12.75 tip) and don't know which is better for me, dime or nickel radius? i'm not in USA so not familiar with coin curves

thanks
Basically, the "Dime" is a more rounded tip and the "Nickel" is a somewhat flatter tip

The Dime tool outsells the Nickel tool 2:1 if that helps

Joel

cluelesscuer

Ok, probably due more to I am klutz, I don't like this tool. What's there to prevent you (or at least the non handy types) from scratching up the ferrule and/or the top of the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cluelesscuer

Oh...I see with the first step. But does that really shape your tip well (like with a cue cube)?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I lay the shaft horizontally on my lap and work the tool up and down while I turn the shaft. Once I have the tip shaped, I lay the tool on the floor, curved side up, and place the tip in the middle of the groove. I place one foot on each side of the shaft to hold it in the groove, and palm the shaft, near the joint, between my two hands. I then quickly rotate it back and forth about a dozen times to get the tip perfectly round.
I've been doing this to all my shafts for over a year, including installing about 8-10 tips, all with the same tool. Other than discoloring from the various leather and chalk, the tool works like the first time I used it.
P.S. I use the dime shaped Pro model. I do not use it to fix mushrooming of the tips. That is another topic.

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shape

I just ran across this thread... thanks for all the kind words

Joel

One question. Is it better to shape the tip by starting at the top and moving down towards the sides, or start at the sides and move up toward the top? Thanks for your tool and your help.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One question. Is it better to shape the tip by starting at the top and moving down towards the sides, or start at the sides and move up toward the top? Thanks for your tool and your help.

When you use the Last 4 Ever tool as it's intended, it starts shaping at the edge of the tip, whether it's a new tip, rounded tip, or mushroomed tip. As you shape the tip, it equally works around the edge (ogive) and towards the middle.

Last 4 Ever.png

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you use the Last 4 Ever tool as it's intended, it starts shaping at the edge of the tip, whether it's a new tip, rounded tip, or mushroomed tip. As you shape the tip, it equally works around the edge (ogive) and towards the middle.

View attachment 461119

Oh, so the Last 4 ever tool and the tip of the cue should be perpendicular to each other? If so, I am using it incorrectly as I hold the Last 4 Ever at roughly a 30 to 45 degree angle to the tip.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I just spin it supported above and below the ferrule with my fingers... Takes a while but it's good enough for government work :)...

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just spin it supported above and below the ferrule with my fingers... Takes a while but it's good enough for government work :)...

Nice shape, now you need to use the burnisher side of the tool to shine up and strengthen the sides of your tip. ��

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Nice shape, now you need to use the burnisher side of the tool to shine up and strengthen the sides of your tip. ��

I did that after... This is a new "Precision" (Searing) tip, my first one, I did by hand and have since hit well over 500 balls and there's no deformation...Love it..

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did that after... This is a new "Precision" (Searing) tip, my first one, I did by hand and have since hit well over 500 balls and there's no deformation...Love it..
The best tip available no doubt

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add my :thumbup: for this tool. I picked up the 'dime' version, and found it very simple to operate and quickly effective for putting a perfect shape on my tips.

Having used a pretty wide assortment in the past (It's George, Willard, Brad, Cue Cube, Ultimate) I can easily say this is by far my preferred tool for shaping and scuffing (a couple of the others scuffed as well, but none better, and none of them shaped as well).

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add my :thumbup: for this tool. I picked up the 'dime' version, and found it very simple to operate and quickly effective for putting a perfect shape on my tips.

Having used a pretty wide assortment in the past (It's George, Willard, Brad, Cue Cube, Ultimate) I can easily say this is by far my preferred tool for shaping and scuffing (a couple of the others scuffed as well, but none better, and none of them shaped as well).

Yup. Make room in your case by getting rid of all of those tip tools. You have the only one you'll ever need.