My Variety Pack Of Josswest Cues Together Again For The First Time

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Here are all of my Joss/Josswest cues, in various sizes & colors.
Due to four of these cues being out to various shops for restoration projects, I'm happy this is the first time I've had all 16 together under one roof.
All 34 shafts have been fitted with new tips, mostly Precision medium, and Paul Drexler built 4-superb shafts with original yellow micarta ferrules, Moori Jewels.

Redoing the pics 5 at a time through AZ upload
No more free 3rd party hosting from Photobucket

003.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

045.jpg

039.jpg

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That's a hell of a collection! I ran across one at the pool hall today, I got to talk with the owner and he asked me the value as he wants to sell. Told him Josswest cues aren't my thing and have no idea the value... but I know where I could find out. Would you know an approximate value? PM me, if you would like. One shaft.
View attachment 463412

View attachment 463413

View attachment 463414

View attachment 463415

Not trying to hijack the tread, if you don't want the pic in your thread, let me know and I'll delete and move to the main.

That's a nice one
I would list it for around $1400-1500, with 2 decent shafts

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great collection. You've got all the joints covered. We talked in another thread about the 5/16x14 acme varying on your shafts.
Group 1 of your joints. #1 and #7 are acme screws and #7 looks like a smaller o.d. than #1.

Group #2. 8 thru 16
#15 looks like a smaller o.d. than #14.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great group shot of some terrific cues Ted.
Can you do a group shot of your Lucasi collection next?

nicksaint26

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love the 4th and 5th down from first set and the 2nd and 4th down from the second set. Beautiful collection thanks for sharing! Wow!!!

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spectacular.

The old Joss fits right in there nicely as well.

Certainly a good spectrum of examples of joints as well as lengths.

Thanks for showing off! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That all implex buttsleeve is quite unusual. And old school. Love it.

All the best,
WW

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Great collection. You've got all the joints covered. We talked in another thread about the 5/16x14 acme varying on your shafts.
Group 1 of your joints. #1 and #7 are acme screws and #7 looks like a smaller o.d. than #1.

Group #2. 8 thru 16
#15 looks like a smaller o.d. than #14.

Good eye there.
#1-7-14 are Acme thread, #7 is a tad smaller than 1&14.
#14 is a piloted ivory joint which I haven't seen before on Josswest cues.

Thanks

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I have seen ivory piloted from Stroud before, way back I think Wright had one or two. But that was a long time ago, and he pretty much had anything and everything.

Definitely a gem.

If I remember correctly I almost did a trade in deal for my Joss with him for a piloted ivory JW. I pulled back. Couldn't separate from my Joss. That was at leat 20 years ago. He offered me several deals on my Joss. I just couldn't do it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I have seen ivory piloted from Stroud before, way back I think Wright had one or two. But that was a long time ago, and he pretty much had anything and everything.

Definitely a gem.

If I remember correctly I almost did a trade in deal for my Joss with him for a piloted ivory JW. I pulled back. Couldn't separate from my Joss. That was at leat 20 years ago. He offered me several deals on my Joss. I just couldn't do it.

That's the best compliment any Cue maker could hope for. I remember John Wright. Had some very good conversations with him. Thanks for the memory.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That all implex buttsleeve is quite unusual. And old school. Love it.

All the best,
WW

It grows on you...:smile:
I didn't buy it at first but it grew on me, and I like the way the tan colored veneer matches the wrap.
Also it's a 59" cue 29.5 split, and original rarely played condition

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It grows on you...:smile:
I didn't buy it at first but it grew on me, and I like the way the tan colored veneer matches the wrap.
Also it's a 59" cue 29.5 split, and original rarely played condition

Great history that implex is. In the late 60s to mid 70s, Joss was king, and that was a combination of Joss and JossWest. Most of the window style Joss cues of that day had implex, and many had implex buttplates, to go along with the window buttsleeve motifs. In the mid Atlantic area, those Joss cues were owned by some of the best players in that era.

I also like the tan leather wrap on it, very old school.

I don't make too many posts, but this one is worth it. Great old school collection.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great history that implex is. In the late 60s to mid 70s, Joss was king, and that was a combination of Joss and JossWest. Most of the window style Joss cues of that day had implex, and many had implex buttplates, to go along with the window buttsleeve motifs. In the mid Atlantic area, those Joss cues were owned by some of the best players in that era.

I also like the tan leather wrap on it, very old school.

I don't make too many posts, but this one is worth it. Great old school collection.

All the best,
WW

Mid 80's a real good player from Jersey, Neptune Joe Frady was playing with a Joss.
He had Gus Szamboti make him a cue and he hated it.
Liked the Joss better.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Mid 80's a real good player from Jersey, Neptune Joe Frady was playing with a Joss.
Liked the Joss better.

That's why your attachment to Lucasi is so puzzling

:smile:

Seriously though, it would be interesting to hear about the tapers Joss & Josswest used back then, and how they compare to each other as well as Joss now, and other pro-tapered shafts.
It's hard for me to just look at them and tell the difference, I have to play with the cue to tell.
I tried to do some shaft taper comparing last night but I need to spend more time with it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Liked the Joss better.

I remember Neptune Joe quite well. Remember watching him in the old McDermott tour, mid-Atlantic, which later became Planet Pool. He beat a lot of good players. I think the only one that beat him that time was George Breedlove. His cue was a plain rosewood four-pointer, which looked like a Tascarella. But, not surprised he liked Joss cues.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Seriously though, it would be interesting to hear about the tapers Joss & Josswest used back then, and how they compare to each other as well as Joss now, and other pro-tapered shafts.
It's hard for me to just look at them and tell the difference, I have to play with the cue to tell.
I tried to do some shaft taper comparing last night but I need to spend more time with it.

There's no comparison with Joss shaft tapers then, and now. Then, if you're talking late 60s and 70s, shafts were quite large by today's standards, 13 1/4, 13 1/2, and even larger were the norm. Also, pro taper meant just that, the thickness stayed the same for at least the first ten inches or so, then gradually widened. Today, the standard, including Joss would generally be thinner at the start, and gradually increasing, rather than a constant diameter for that section of the shaft.

A whole host of reasons for the difference. First, slower napped cloth was the standard, mostly Brunsco wool, as well as Mali cloth. You had to slug the cue ball a lot harder than today. Second, pool was mostly played by men, with larger hands. Also, the cue butts were much thicker than today, so the shafts naturally were thicker as well. Today, with faster cloth, the shaft thickness has gone down to more like 12 3/4 and 12 1/2, with gradually increasing diameter all the way, not the constant thickness they used to be for a large part of the shaft. Most of today's cues, including shaft tapers, do not resemble the ones of that era.

All the best,
WW