when is it time to accept you just dont have it

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But my point is that if a player doesn't have "it" after 5 years, then no amount of lessons is going to give him/her "it"

If by "it" you mean a natural "gift" for playing pool, you are correct, lessons will never give you that. But they will likely make you better than you were, regardless of the level of natural talent you have.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example: A player, while practicing, misses the same shot 3 times in a row and then becomes negative and discouraged. He does that repeatedly without realizing that he has been programming his sub-conscious mind to trigger a negative reaction when that happens, and as a result, gives up too quickly.

That is such a great point. It took me awhile to get over being frustrated by a miss and to treat that miss as an opportunity to improve my game by learning what happened, rather than just being upset. (Well, OK, I guess I still get upset, but that immediately turns into figuring out what went wrong). :)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is such a great point. It took me awhile to get over being frustrated by a miss and to treat that miss as an opportunity to improve my game by learning what happened, rather than just being upset. (Well, OK, I guess I still get upset, but that immediately turns into figuring out what went wrong). :)

It's the best way to look at things in all aspects of life. Not just pool.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by "it" you mean a natural "gift" for playing pool, you are correct, lessons will never give you that. But they will likely make you better than you were, regardless of the level of natural talent you have.

Of course lessons can be valuable to anyone.

I think there are a lot of players without that natural talent that take lessons and expect instant improvement. In reality, if you don't have any natural talent, then you are going to have to work much harder to improve your game.

The truth is that most of us on these forums don't have that natural talent. I'm not sure what the cap is for players like us. How good can we really get without that natural talent?

HoustonGreg

Registered
How good can we really get without that natural talent?

This is what I like about pool. In my opinion, Pool is one of the few sports that you can overcome not having a god given natural talent in order to become a top level player. I tell myself If I put in the work, dedicate myself, and stop making excuses then its possible.
No matter how unlikely it may be, its still possible and thats why I keep practicing.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is what I like about pool. In my opinion, Pool is one of the few sports that you can overcome not having a god given natural talent in order to become a top level player. I tell myself If I put in the work, dedicate myself, and stop making excuses then its possible.
No matter how unlikely it may be, its still possible and thats why I keep practicing.

i admire your desire and perseverance......:smile:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is more of a debate of "possible vs provable" yes it's possible I could go to the moon, but not provable!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Of course lessons can be valuable to anyone.

I think there are a lot of players without that natural talent that take lessons and expect instant improvement. In reality, if you don't have any natural talent, then you are going to have to work much harder to improve your game.

The truth is that most of us on these forums don't have that natural talent. I'm not sure what the cap is for players like us. How good can we really get without that natural talent?

They may be taking lessons from the "wrong" teachers. Most teachers expect their students to have instant improvement in some areas as faults are corrected and knowledge is expanded, plus they give drills and tips for improvement going forward.

Very few people get worse taking pool lessons.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony Ellin did not have natural talent but became one of the best pro players out there. He worked on his game nonstop, always practicing and looking for ways to improve. If he had never reached the top level of play, he would've continued to practice and work on his game because he loved it. He had a passion for the game, and many times a strong passion outweighs and outlasts any amount of natural skill.

I have a couple of friends with more natural pool talent in their pinky finger than I have in my whole my body, at least that's what I felt 20 years ago. They were tough to play when I was younger, but not anymore. They don't play as often because they have no passion or love for the game. Their early success quickly turned to boredom. I'm never bored when around a pool table.

I've watched the same league players for years, the players that struggle to make 4 balls in a row playing eightball on a barbox. Years ago I would wonder why they continue to play the game if they never seem to improve. I'd tell myself, 'If I played like that all the time I'd quit for good'. But now I realize it's because they enjoy playing. They don't have to be world champions to enjoy it. They may not be as passionate about pool as I am, but to each their own. If it's enjoyable, keep doing it.

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
One thing that bugged me while reading this post was the need to promote one instructor over the other two instructors you had lessons with. The guys you mentioned that didn't help your game have 100's of people that will tell you they were good instructors and did help them. So the need to bash someone kind of bugs me.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, and Neils Feijen is living proof of that. He's been known to have to work hard, while for other it comes more easily.

Coming back to the topic, deep down you know it rather quickly if you have it or not.
And then the most important time comes - what to do with this realisation?
Do you WANT to be good? Then keep practising and trying things out. This also means other things in life will have to wait.

Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore. And try even more wild things just for fun! And life is just great and relaxed.

I don't have it and that's fine! I still can give some carom players a run for their money, though ;)

tashworth19191: I'm not sure what you're trying to say. We're allowed to give some evaluation to the things we experience in life. I can't say I buy into this strange pool hush-hush way of doing things you're trying to adress.
Makers are to be criticized publicly for the crap they do and to be applauded for outstanding work they do, as well as trainers.

Lots of trainers go into the habbit of teaching a student the ONE preferences they have. This is just very wrong.
I received great training and usually I was provided 3 options to do things when I had no clue. Or discuss 2 options I saw and 2 additional ones from the trainer, to try them out what would fit me best or to practise a certain aspect.
If a trainer is not doing that he's crap - simple as that.
If a trainer is not bringing you forward, he's also crap - because he (the trainer) could not adjust to the student. Also as simple as that.

The problem is in lots of people's minds - they cannot accept that they've done crap. Once you get past that you'll learn.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing that bugged me while reading this post was the need to promote one instructor over the other two instructors you had lessons with. The guys you mentioned that didn't help your game have 100's of people that will tell you they were good instructors and did help them. So the need to bash someone kind of bugs me.

i did not bash anyone
i stated the truth as it pertains to my experience in one post
also this thread is not about that one post
the theme of the thread is when is it time to accept you dont have it
that has been the line the reponders have focused on

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
1. Accept you don't have "it" as soon as you realize you don't have it.

2. Commit to lessons/learning/studying until you become as good as you can be without "it"--an A player for some!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coming back to the topic, deep down you know it rather quickly if you have it or not.
And then the most important time comes - what to do with this realisation?
Do you WANT to be good? Then keep practising and trying things out. This also means other things in life will have to wait.

Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore. And try even more wild things just for fun! And life is just great and relaxed.
Cheers,
M

1. Accept you don't have "it" as soon as you realize you don't have it.

2. Commit to lessons/learning/studying until you become as good as you can be without "it"--an A player for some!
matt
i think there should be a 3
quoting M.G.
after you admit you dont have it
Do you just want to play casual? Great, start having fun again and don't put yourself under pressure anymore

HoustonGreg

Registered
Maybe the "It" factor should mean the natural ability to maintain focus and determination to achieve certain goals, rather than naturally being good at pool.