Cue sealer recommendations

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aspiring cue maker here currently only doing tips/cleaning until I'm comfortable enough with my work to sell it.

Any who what do you guys use/recommend to reseal your shafts after cleaning or polishing?
I've been using the unique products cue sealer and it works but tends to be a little sticky immediately after costing even in small amounts. So I'm sure there has to be something better and since my bottle is almost empty wwhat have you got for me?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aspiring cue maker here currently only doing tips/cleaning until I'm comfortable enough with my work to sell it.

Any who what do you guys use/recommend to reseal your shafts after cleaning or polishing?
I've been using the unique products cue sealer and it works but tends to be a little sticky immediately after costing even in small amounts. So I'm sure there has to be something better and since my bottle is almost empty wwhat have you got for me?

Myland's Cellulose Sanding Sealer cut about 40% with denatured alcohol is by far the best product for sealing shafts I know about--and I've tried several that were quite good. The shaft needs to be very clean or you're going to seal in dirt. I do this on a lathe and have the mixture in a clear plastic "ketchup" type squeeze container with spout. Allow the shaft to dry for about 3-4 minutes after the application. Follow this up with 0000 steel wool, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 2500 grit sandpapers. Wipe with dry paper towel (or blow off with air). Lightly apply Renaissance wax at moderate speed on your lathe. Wipe/ Burnish the wax with a clean dry paper towel at a slightly higher speed. A related product, Mylands High Friction Polish is superb for a hand applied lacquer type cue finish (great for sneaky petes and God Bless Kevin Varney for PMing me about this stuff 12 years ago). I prefer the feel on the hand of this finish to automotive finish for sneaky pete type cues. Hope that helps you.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I use a homebrew that starts out with Minwax Polycrylic Clear Satin which is a water based product,and I thin it with hot water 50/50. It looks like watery milk in the bottle so it will not affect the color of the shaftwood.

It protects nice and once buffed it comes out awful slick. The basic product is easily had at Wal Mart too. Tommy D.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a homebrew that starts out with Minwax Polycrylic Clear Satin which is a water based product,and I thin it with hot water 50/50. It looks like watery milk in the bottle so it will not affect the color of the shaftwood.

It protects nice and once buffed it comes out awful slick. The basic product is easily had at Wal Mart too. Tommy D.

Do to cut it as you need it or could I do it in a larger batch and have it readily available as I need?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a cellulose sanding sealer. I`ve tried several different ones, the shellac based ones and acryllic and cellulose is by far the best one to work with and gives the best feel afterwards, the only downside is the smell...