BCA League Management System w/FargoRate Integration?

iLLCON

Registered
Our local league is interested in moving to a new League Management System. We have been utilizing LeagueSys.net's League Management System for the past 10+ years, however, are looking for a new LMS that supports the following:

- League stat integration with FargoRate
- Mobile device access/support
- Organize tournaments that can be run in real-time and are accessible online

Thoughts

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
CSI, which owns BCAPL and USAPL, is in the beta-testing mode of a new League Management System that integrates FargoRate and it will include an easy-to-use app. Several leagues are already being run on the system so that we can pinpoint and fix problems before rolling it out to league operators. We are hoping to have the system ready for all leagues in January.

iLLCON

Registered
CSI, which owns BCAPL and USAPL, is in the beta-testing mode of a new League Management System that integrates FargoRate and it will include an easy-to-use app. Several leagues are already being run on the system so that we can pinpoint and fix problems before rolling it out to league operators. We are hoping to have the system ready for all leagues in January.

Any update on this? We are well past January and still haven't heard a peep from CSI/FargoRate.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any update on this? We are well past January and still haven't heard a peep from CSI/FargoRate.

I've given up hope for this. I was told back in July of 2016 at the BCA's that it was going to roll out at the end of that event. Mike Page is a great guy. Maybe he will chime in here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw that and thought, seems like they’ve been saying that for a while. Then I noticed the post date 😂.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump to see if any of them will respond. It’s apparent that any new software will not be available for leagues that start in the fall.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The inability to roll out the new LMS in a timely manner is the single greatest impediment in the path to success for FargoRate. Which is a huge shame.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My local USAPL league has been using FargoRate for a while, is there some issues for the BCA leagues using it?

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
CSI is beta testing the new LMS for BCAPL at this moment and there are several leagues using it as part of that process. All USA Pool Leagues have been using the new LMS since January. Since there are far fewer USAPL leagues and they all use the same format, transitioning those league operators and the USAPL over was simplistic compared to BCAPL. In BCAPL, league operators can use whatever format they choose. Obviously some formats and handicap systems are more widely used than others. And we want to make sure that LMS works well for those most common handicap and scoring systems, which requires a lot more programming. The system has to efficiently support leagues of 3, 4, or 5 players, using different scoring and handicap systems like the 10-point system, the 17-point system, and the win-loss system. Some leagues are handicapped and some are not, using those same systems. We also have league operators who want to the system to support singles and doubles leagues. So you can see that the programming for BCAPL is much more complex, and it's takes more time to test all the systems to make sure it is working correctly. The last thing we want to do is roll it out to league operators before it's been adequately tested and having the league operators running into all sorts of problems. We are working on it as quickly as possible and, believe me, we are just as anxious as you are to have it complete and ready to use!

iLLCON

Registered
CSI is beta testing the new LMS for BCAPL at this moment and there are several leagues using it as part of that process. All USA Pool Leagues have been using the new LMS since January. Since there are far fewer USAPL leagues and they all use the same format, transitioning those league operators and the USAPL over was simplistic compared to BCAPL. In BCAPL, league operators can use whatever format they choose. Obviously some formats and handicap systems are more widely used than others. And we want to make sure that LMS works well for those most common handicap and scoring systems, which requires a lot more programming. The system has to efficiently support leagues of 3, 4, or 5 players, using different scoring and handicap systems like the 10-point system, the 17-point system, and the win-loss system. Some leagues are handicapped and some are not, using those same systems. We also have league operators who want to the system to support singles and doubles leagues. So you can see that the programming for BCAPL is much more complex, and it's takes more time to test all the systems to make sure it is working correctly. The last thing we want to do is roll it out to league operators before it's been adequately tested and having the league operators running into all sorts of problems. We are working on it as quickly as possible and, believe me, we are just as anxious as you are to have it complete and ready to use!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Is there some sort of newsletter or mailing list BCAPL operators can get on to know when LMS is available for either production or development testing? As I may have mentioned in my original post, our league in particular wouldn't at all mind being a guinea pig.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a league player, but I thought one of the main points of fargorate is to handicap by games according to the Fargo number. Why would you use it if you are going to handicap by some other method?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a league player, but I thought one of the main points of fargorate is to handicap by games according to the Fargo number. Why would you use it if you are going to handicap by some other method?

Two comments.

FargoRate, at its core, has nothing to do with handicapping. It is about rating players. One of the consequences of the way we rate players is the rating difference relates directly to the game win ratio or chance between two players. For this reason if someone IS interested in handicapping, it provides a sound way to do it.

Second, the approach for league here is not really different; the central feature is the connection I just mentioned between rating difference and game win ratio.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Brian. Here is a description of how Fargo Ratings are used to handicap 8-Ball in the 10-point scoring system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YnKRBTwX5w

We are working very hard, and I think more information will be coming soon.

This is how my league works, and I really like the idea of using Fargo ratings this way. However, the video shows a computer screen, and it’s hard to imagine that setup on the size screens (phones) that people will have with them on league night. That’s a pretty dense screen. And you can’t just let people play without knowing who won until later when someone enters the scores. At the least, I think you’d need to use the phone to enter the players and then get the handicaps that could be filled out on the paper score sheet. If you do have a truly mobile full score sheet, I’d like to see the interface.

Edit: I just realized that, in your example, you seem to be talking about a full handicapping system that attempts to equalize the teams, but for leagues like mine that don’t fully equalize the teams, you could also use a “milder” handicap like you have on your web page currently.

Last edited: