9' carom table

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another question:

1) How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I purchased a 9' carom table instead of a 10'

2) Does there exist high quality tables that convert between carom and pool easily?

(wife's questions)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Not alot,your not going to be playing at above 1.3 average in your life and be in international competition

you'll learn better,and have more fun with a small table, which is the point, to learn and have fun

10 ft will be discouraging without proper instructions, 9ft won't be a walk in the park either for a newb but you get my point

Diamond makes Carom tables, actually Glen does, but I'm sure he'd make you Carom rails for a 9ft pro am, worth asking him at least

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Olhausen also currently makes Carom tables, they'd probably also be an option to make a pool table with interchangeable Carom rails

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I must incourage small game play as well

Do you only play one pool game? I doubt it

Play 1 cushion, play straight rail
Youll find them much more difficult than you think

And a ball polisher is essential, the balls start slowing down after a few hrs of play,

They MUST be kept clean, and they MUST be polished to play Carom,

I can't stress this enough for anyone getting into Carom and getting a table

At the billiard hall they swap out ball sets after each game

Vacuuming the cloth is also needed regularly, I do it once a week and keep my table covered, Russian magic chalk is super clean, not like master that gets and stays on everything but the tip

Tmi, prolly

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another question:

1) How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I purchased a 9' carom table instead of a 10'

2) Does there exist high quality tables that convert between carom and pool easily?

(wife's questions)
Gabriels used to make a table that converted fairly easily. The rails were attached by very strong magnets so there were not bolts to tighten. Chevillotte also made a convertible table, IIRC. I can't find a convertible table on either site, but they might have one in stock.

If you contact Blatt in NYC they may have an antique table with both sets of rails.

One option is to get pocket blocks to convert a pool table to carom, but they are not perfect. Among other things, the rails are not the right height for at least one game.

As for a 9' table, in some clubs in Europe you are not allowed to play on the 10-foot table until you can average at least 0.500 on the smaller table. I would say that unless you play in competition it doesn't make much difference.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must incourage small game play as well

Do you only play one pool game? I doubt it

Play 1 cushion, play straight rail
Youll find them much more difficult than you think

And a ball polisher is essential, the balls start slowing down after a few hrs of play,

They MUST be kept clean, and they MUST be polished to play Carom,

I can't stress this enough for anyone getting into Carom and getting a table

At the billiard hall they swap out ball sets after each game

Vacuuming the cloth is also needed regularly, I do it once a week and keep my table covered, Russian magic chalk is super clean, not like master that gets and stays on everything but the tip

Tmi, prolly

Luckily Mazin is only an hour away and he's a good resource, including the importance of clean equipment. He says clean balls a lot, and even buy new balls after a while. Ira Lee told me the same, and that they clean the tables every hour. I'm all for meticulous equipment. Says if you don't practice under tournament conditions all of the time then you're lost... he also got me interested in his Rok tables. I'd love to have one of those.

I do have room for a 10' (185" is the smallest room dimension).

I may have to just finish my room, and then build a mock-up frame of both a 9' and 10' table to show the wife for approval. :) I would be happy converting 100% to carom.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
check out sam tables, pretty looking, endorsed by the current ranked number one dani

spanish tables endorsed by a spanish 3c legend, what a pair

a classic style table solid wood with 6 legs you can get for 4000 euros, built to order, this table in 9ft is 500 less actually, its beautiful
or the tournament style, same specs and materials,and heated 4540 euros

but they arent stocked here in the us, you can contact dani direct on facebook about getting one, hes the global rep for them

Last edited:

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
I think you'd be disappointed with any kind of convertible table or pocket inserts. You'd soon tire of the effort required to change the table back and forth. In addition, you'd have the oddity of the cloth, which is different between pool tables and carom tables.

Best deal on a new table is Jimar. Dealer is in Miami. Difficult to find a decent used table these days, but there's usually a couple around the northeast.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?457131&p=5932790#post5932790

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can fit a 10', do it, since they're likely as easy to find or easier to find than a 9'.

If you could only fit a 9' in a given space, I'd say you should do so without hesitation if your alternative was to not have a carom table otherwise (I know that's not your situation, but throwing this out for anyone else reading this).

I played on 9 footers in Christchurch, New Zealand for 3 months when I stayed there; they were impeccably maintained at a popular Korean room, and I had an absolute blast on them. I averaged much better with them than I did on a 10' table but, to Richard's point, what does that matter? My average was terrible then and isn't any better now that I own a 10 footer because I've got bigger problems with my game than table size.

Also, for small games the importance of 9 vs 10 goes way down. I'd own a 9 footer all damn day if it's all I could fit.

I guess if I could say it in one sentence - - - the choice between 9 and 10' carom table is NOT the same as a choice between 6/7 and 9' pocket table.