OB sneaky vs Pechauer

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to be in the market for a new cue. I think I have it narrowed down to a Ob sneaky pete and a couple pechauer models, a JP series and a Pro. I prefer the stainless joint of the Pechauer but with the OB you get a full splice with a choice of their shafts. I dont have a local dealer to test hit cues so any experienced guidance would be helpful. Dont want to go over $350 and no customs until I know exactly what I want. Thanks

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, your in a very tough spot. $350 can buy you a cue as good as any at $3,000. Just less do-dads. Absent a nearby dealer or access to SBE or other billiard show you're up the creek. How about hanging out at the local hall. If you see someone with an OB, Pech, Pred. or whatever, Buy them a beer and start talking. Explain what your looking for and see if they will let you try their cue.

I'm a bit frustrated because I have bought a nice custom sneaky, a couple of high end production sticks and at the end of the day I keep coming back to a bottom of the line Predator sneaky that really just seems to fit me. I really wish I could learn.

Good luck with your search. Maybe post your location. Somebody here on AZB lives near you, and would be willing to help.

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I didn't think about the pool room. I usually play in a little hole in the wall pool hall. There's a couple bigger pool rooms around I'll try. Have you personally played with either OB or Pech? Also I live in Kansas city area of Missouri.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't play with an OB or Pechauer, but both are good options, you can't go wrong. However, I'll recommend to avoid the specific Pechauer joint, because is harder to find a LD shaft for that cues, in case you'll want another shaft for it in future.

If a new cue isn't your unique option, my advice is buy a s/h or Low end custom. For 350-400$ you can find great deal on the market.

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't play with an OB or Pechauer, but both are good options, you can't go wrong. However, I'll recommend to avoid the specific Pechauer joint, because is harder to find a LD shaft for that cues, in case you'll want another shaft for it in future.

If a new cue isn't your unique option, my advice is buy a s/h or Low end custom. For 350-400$ you can find great deal on the market.

Ok. I've kinda been bouncing that aroud, I have no problem buying used. On the shaft being hard to find, have you heard anything good or bad about Pechauers own LD shaft?. I've been playing since I was 12 but not really that seriously. For the moment I'm wanting to get something that plays well and that I like to look at. I really like Pech. designs. I plan on getting serious in the next year so will more than likely have a custom made.

I still have some money to save, so I'm trying to research all I can.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the KC area there's got to be someone to help you out. Ask a moderator to move this to the main forum for a lot of traffic. I have an OB shaft for my Arnot which also has his T-3. I like my Predator better, but that's me. While you can't go wrong with the quality of either brand, will it fit, YOU?

That's the same problem with buying a "custom" new or used. What will work for you?

For the money you have you can buy a real nice Schmelke with an OB shaft on it plus an extra Schmelke break shaft all fitted at the shop. Your choice of pins too. Enough left over for a 1x2 case and some table time. And there is a poopload of custom builders using Schmelke blanks too.

Ya gotta take a test drive.

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks buzzard. I've found one pro shop kinda close and I think they carry schmelke. He's a little funny on test drives though, as long as I dont chalk it. Weird. I could still get a feel for it though. Thanks for advice. I have a little time until I build up the funds so any and all opinions are welcome.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I've kinda been bouncing that aroud, I have no problem buying used. On the shaft being hard to find, have you heard anything good or bad about Pechauers own LD shaft?. I've been playing since I was 12 but not really that seriously. For the moment I'm wanting to get something that plays well and that I like to look at. I really like Pech. designs. I plan on getting serious in the next year so will more than likely have a custom made.

I still have some money to save, so I'm trying to research all I can.

Their special joint is a restrictive factor for me.
If you like the Pechauer design, call and ask them to change their pin to a more common one, so you'll be free to use any shaft you want.

You want a custom cue in near future and are looking now for a temporary cue, till then Or you try to find the best options for your future cue custom or not ?

JoeyC71176

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pechauer cue and I have one of their LD shafts.. The shaft is excellent.. I have shot with an OB classic before and I prefer the Pechauer performance shaft over the OB, but these things are all personal preference. The hit and feel of the shaft is excellent for me

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey and everyone else. Been very helpful. I think I've decided on pechauer. I've been around to couple shops and shot some cues. Kind of limited on in stock cues, and no Pechauers, but I've figured out for the most part I like a SS joint and about a 12.5 mm medium/soft tip. Tried a few piloted and not. Ive always liked a wrapless or sealed linen. I guess that all sounds like a Pech. After the talk on here about the speed joint, it is the only thing I'm not 100% confident about.
Now I guess I go for it and what happens, happens. Good hustling to all.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey and everyone else. Been very helpful. I think I've decided on pechauer. I've been around to couple shops and shot some cues. Kind of limited on in stock cues, and no Pechauers, but I've figured out for the most part I like a SS joint and about a 12.5 mm medium/soft tip. Tried a few piloted and not. Ive always liked a wrapless or sealed linen. I guess that all sounds like a Pech. After the talk on here about the speed joint, it is the only thing I'm not 100% confident about.
Now I guess I go for it and what happens, happens. Good hustling to all.

Let us know what you choose, if it happens.

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Don't know where the smart aleck's came from, but I've chosen a cue. Thanks to all that did help me narrow down my search. Hopefully one to two weeks more of saving and about 4 weeks for the cue to be completed. I can't wait!

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Don't know where the smart aleck's came from, but I've chosen a cue. Thanks to all that did help me narrow down my search. Hopefully one to two weeks more of saving and about 4 weeks for the cue to be completed. I can't wait!

It's a custom? Can you provide more details? Good luck!

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not really a custom. Seyberts has a pechauer I haven't seen anywhere else, but I'm making some changes to it. If you'd like a look its a ProH with IL wrap and SS joint. Nice and simple four point. I did however find a custom maker in my area. I'm a woodworker by hobby and love exotic burls, so I want to buy my own turning blanks and hopefully, key word hopefully, have a him make a one off in the future. The maker is Trager custom cues. Until then, I'm going love the ProH. Thanks all.

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WooHoo. I get my cue tomorrow.:dance: I cannot wait. Going straight to the pool hall after work. Thanks again to all.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I have a Pechauer cue and I don't think I will ever use another brand. They are amazing cues for a great price. I recently got their Plus Lite LD shaft and it is simply amazing! I have been very happy with all my Pechauer products and would highly recommend one to any level of player.

If you every have any questions about Pechauer feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

BaliFlipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here she is. After about 5 days and 20 hours of play I can say I'm very pleased with my new cue. Its a Pechauer ProH with Irish linen wrap and SS joint. Very crisp but not too harsh of a hit. Very, very solid and good quality. As a woodworker/craftsman and perfectionist in what I make, I can always point out flaws in finish, but that's just me nitpicking. Very high quality cue for fair price. Very, very happy.

Well my phone won't let me upload photo. Gimme a minute to figure this out.