if i put a quarter just hanging over the rail could you hit it??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you can hit the quarter why cant you hit the contact point???
just askin
dont shoot the messenger...:grin-square:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just askin

Not a good test.

1. Are you sure you actually hit the quarter, or just close enough to it that the rail compressed and moved the quarter?

2. You are just trying to hit the quarter with the entire cb. You need to pick out a tiny area of the cb to hit the quarter.

3. Have to assume you have the quarter on edge, and not flat.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hi Larry,

The quarter is a very definitive visual target... & would be hit with the center of the CB

the CP is not as a definitive visual target.

Perhaps a better question would be...

can you... or do you... see & know the actual CP for the shot &...

can you... & do you... know the CP of the CB that must 'hit' the CP on the OB.

For THAT... it is not the center of the CB that must be 'aimed' or aligned.

How well can how you fire a pistol or rifle when holding it out to the side of your line of sight?

It is sort of Parallel shooting one way or the other. your eyes are on the CP to CP line & the cue stick is parallel or your eyes are on the cue stick center line & the CP to CP line is parallel.

All The Best for You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited:

GoldenFlash

Banned
just askin
#1. There is no throw or cling to affect the direction the small quarter takes after it is contacted with the cueball.
#2 Hitting a predetermined spot is very simple.(assuming someone is stroking straight) Just put a small dot on the sharp edge of a rail with a pencil and I believe most players will hit it a hundred times in a row. Yet, doing the same thing in a ball to ball collision gives 'guesswork' results as far as pocketing a ball is concerned.
Maybe that's why pool is such a tough game. ?????

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
just askin

I think that is a fair question.

1. Are you hitting the quarter edge with center cue ball when you aim center cue ball to go there?

2. Which is easier to see, the edge of a great quarter overhanging a blue or green rail or a conceptual spot on the surface of a round ball, all the same color when using a solid color object ball?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Hi Larry,

The quarter is a very definitive visual target... & would be hit with the center of the CB

How well can how fire a pistol or rifle when holding it out to the side of your line of sight?

It sort of Parallel shooting one way or the other. your eyes are on the CP to CP line & the cue stick is parallel or the your eyes are on the cue stick center line & the CP to CP line is parallel.

Rick

Great answer Rick!
randyg

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle would often ask his students, Do you know how to hit rail targets? Houle discovered that a visual technique used for his CTE was uncannily accurate for hittining rail targets regardless of attach angle. Will share this in a safety chapter.

Stan Shuffett

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle would often ask his students, Do you know how to hit rail targets? Houle discovered that a visual technique used for his CTE was uncannily accurate for hittining rail targets regardless of attach angle. Will share this in a safety chapter.

Stan Shuffett

i look forward to reading that chapter stan
does it require a pivot?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i look forward to reading that chapter stan
does it require a pivot?

No, It does not require a pivot just as though a pivot as it is typically understood is not required for CTE. CTE is visual. The rail target technique is totally visual.

Stan Shuffett

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, It does not require a pivot just as though a pivot as it is typically understood is not required for CTE. CTE is visual. The rail target technique is totally visual.

Stan Shuffett

thanks for the reply
look forward to reading your book

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Larry,

How well can how fire a pistol or rifle when holding it out to the side of your line of sight?

It sort of Parallel shooting one way or the other. your eyes are on the CP to CP line & the cue stick is parallel or the your eyes are on the cue stick center line & the CP to CP line is parallel.

Rick
hi rick
"can you... or do you... see & know the actual CP for the shot &...

can you... & do you... know the CP of the CB that must 'hit' the CP on the OB."
to answer
for me personally i recognize others do it differently
MY WAY IS NOT THE ONLY WAY OR THE "RIGHT" WAY
i "see" meaning visualize the spot on the back of the ball that is in line with the part of the pocket i want the object ball to go
and "see" i mean visualize the part of the cue ball or over lap or contact point to contact point necessary to make the ball
i understand the difference of where i aim with center (vertical axis) on the cue ball is not the contact point except on straight in shots
said another way
if i was not straight on the quarter but trying to hit it from an angle
i would not be aiming at the part of the quarter overhanging the rail edge
because the cue ball would hit the rail in front of it
i would be aiming i think as you describe like this
"your eyes are on the cue stick center line & the CP to CP line is parallel."
i hope that answers your question rick
i dont want this thread to degenerate into the "best" or "correct" way to hit the quarter
people will have their methods and i am ok with that

so rick if you want to discuss how I do it send me a pm

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
#1. There is no throw or cling to affect the direction the small quarter takes after it is contacted with the cueball.
#2 Hitting a predetermined spot is very simple.(assuming someone is stroking straight) Just put a small dot on the sharp edge of a rail with a pencil and I believe most players will hit it a hundred times in a row. Yet, doing the same thing in a ball to ball collision gives 'guesswork' results as far as pocketing a ball is concerned.
Maybe that's why pool is such a tough game. ?????

if its true that most player would hit the dot on the rail as you say
then whats the difference of hitting the small dot thats the contact point ??
just askin
dont shoot the messenger...:D

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
hi rick
"can you... or do you... see & know the actual CP for the shot &...

can you... & do you... know the CP of the CB that must 'hit' the CP on the OB."
to answer
for me personally i recognize others do it differently
MY WAY IS NOT THE ONLY WAY OR THE "RIGHT" WAY
i "see" meaning visualize the spot on the back of the ball that is in line with the part of the pocket i want the object ball to go
and "see" i mean visualize the part of the cue ball or over lap or contact point to contact point necessary to make the ball
i understand the difference of where i aim with center (vertical axis) on the cue ball is not the contact point except on straight in shots
said another way
if i was not straight on the quarter but trying to hit it from an angle
i would not be aiming at the part of the quarter overhanging the rail edge
because the cue ball would hit the rail in front of it

i would be aiming i think as you describe like this
"your eyes are on the cue stick center line & the CP to CP line is parallel."
i hope that answers your question rick
i dont want this thread to degenerate into the "best" or "correct" way to hit the quarter
people will have their methods and i am ok with that

so rick if you want to discuss how I do it send me a pm

Hi Larry,

My questions were more rhetorical in nature & not directed at or to you.

What you said that I put in blue is the mistake that many make when banking & kicking. It is the NOT the center line of travel that will contact the rail if the ball is not hitting it at 90*.

Glad to see you know. :thumbup2:

All the Best for You & Yours,
Rick

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
just askin

I was going to post something immediately after his... but decided against it... as I could not find a way to say it that might not be taken as... hostile... by a few.

So... I have already 'censored' myself for your benefit.

Best 2 You... & ALL.
Rick

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Larry,

My questions were more rhetorical in nature & not directed at or to you.

What you said that I put in blue is the mistake that many make when banking & kicking. It is the NOT the center line of travel that will contact the rail if the ball is not hitting it at 90*.

Glad to see you know. :thumbup2:

All the Best for You & Yours,
Rick

I was going to post something immediately after his... but decided against it... as I could not find a way to say it that might not be taken as... hostile... by a few.

So... I have already 'censored' myself for your benefit.

Best 2 You... & ALL.
Rick

i may not play great but i am a student of the game...:grin:

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
i may not play great but i am a syudent of the game...:grin:

The thing sometimes is to remember what we know... & then sometimes to not think about what we know.

Failure to do both at the right time can be disastrous.:wink:

GoldenFlash

Banned
just askin
That is a question I asked myself for many years. You're thinking good.
For myself, I finally concluded that my problem was there was no visible "dot" on the object ball for me to aim at.
So, it was guesswork most of the time.
Then I stumbled into CTE and my finding the target improved like crazy.
True enough, learning CTE was a nightmare for me.....I had 60 years behind me of guesswork using ghost ball. And using draw on that old rolling drag stroke to compensate for cling. That stuff was very hard to get out of my head.
CTE steered me right into the correct contact point. As Mr. Shuffett teaches....it straightens out the shot, and makes the 15, 30, 45, 60 angle shots all a person has to worry about.
I'm not a salesman or pitchman for the CTE system. I'm merely saying it vastly improved my ability to SEE that magic spot and then deliver the white ball to that spot.
I'm 78 years old but I still have great vision and wear no corrective lenses. To read a book, I use a pair of 2.5 strength readers that cost 3 bucks at the Dollar General Store. The ophthalmologist says my vision is a rare thing.
As for the 'straight stroke' business, there is a slight hook in mine but I assume over the years I've, without thinking, instinctively learned to deal with it. (mine hooks to the left about as much as that Grey fellow who is the big cannon on the Europe Mosconi Cup team)
That's about my tale. I can hit that quarter though.....all day long. I'd bet on that.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is a question I asked myself for many years. You're thinking good.
For myself, I finally concluded that my problem was there was no visible "dot" on the object ball for me to aim at.
So, it was guesswork most of the time.
Then I stumbled into CTE and my finding the target improved like crazy.
True enough, learning CTE was a nightmare for me.....I had 60 years behind me of guesswork using ghost ball. And using draw on that old rolling drag stroke to compensate for cling. That stuff was very hard to get out of my head.
CTE steered me right into the correct contact point. As Mr. Shuffett teaches....it straightens out the shot, and makes the 15, 30, 45, 60 angle shots all a person has to worry about.
I'm not a salesman or pitchman for the CTE system. I'm merely saying it vastly improved my ability to SEE that magic spot and then deliver the white ball to that spot.
I'm 78 years old but I still have great vision and wear no corrective lenses. To read a book, I use a pair of 2.5 strength readers that cost 3 bucks at the Dollar General Store. The ophthalmologist says my vision is a rare thing.
As for the 'straight stroke' business, there is a slight hook in mine but I assume over the years I've, without thinking, instinctively learned to deal with it. (mine hooks to the left about as much as that Grey fellow who is the big cannon on the Europe Mosconi Cup team)
That's about my tale. I can hit that quarter though.....all day long. I'd bet on that.
i am happy you have found a way (CTE) to hit the quarter and to make balls...:thumbup:
thanks for sharing your experience
i was wondering if for some the answer to my question
would be their difficulty to "see" the contact point

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
i am happy you have found a way (CTE) to hit the quarter and to make balls...:thumbup:
thanks for sharing your experience
i was wondering if for some the answer to my question
would be their difficulty to "see" the contact point

It's not so much seeing the contact point as the awfulness of the ghost system! Contact point is a vast improvement.