will this product damage the facings if left in place

realkingcobra

Silver Member
practice pro pocket reducer
if i leave them in the pockets for days or longer wil they damage the facings??
thanks for your thoughts on the subject
https://www.seyberts.com/practice-pro-pocket-reducers

When SVB starts using them, then I'll be a believer in tighter pockets makes you a better player than practicing does. When I was playing all the time, I practiced things like after breaking the full rack of balls, making every ball with out missing, and without touching a second ball during any shot. First thing I looked at was if every ball was playable, if not, then I figured out how many other balls I'd end up touching when running out the rack and proceed to run out. Making balls in a limited pocket opening is not as important as learning how to use the full opening of the pocket to cheat the pocket with angle and ball speed to make the ball. Pocket reducers eliminate that knowledge.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When SVB starts using them, then I'll be a believer in tighter pockets makes you a better player than practicing does. When I was playing all the time, I practiced things like after breaking the full rack of balls, making every ball with out missing, and without touching a second ball during any shot. First thing I looked at was if every ball was playable, if not, then I figured out how many other balls I'd end up touching when running out the rack and proceed to run out. Making balls in a limited pocket opening is not as important as learning how to use the full opening of the pocket to cheat the pocket with angle and ball speed to make the ball. Pocket reducers eliminate that knowledge.

all valid points and duly noted
but
do they damage the pocket/facings ??
thanks for responding

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Exactly my thoughts on extremely tight pockets.

As far as the pocket reducers dont they just kinda snap in and out? I am guessing that they must not go in quickly if you want to leave them in a few days.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Exactly my thoughts on extremely tight pockets.

As far as the pocket reducers dont they just kinda snap in and out? I am guessing that they must not go in quickly if you want to leave them in a few days.

with all due respect if i wanted to discuss the merits of tight pockets i would have started a thread in the main forum
and i dont disagree with what rkc said
however if you play with bigger pocket like at my home room you get alittle careless on exactly where in the pocket you are aiming
these pocket reducers help you be more precise
ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WILL THEY HARM THE POCKET/ FACING
yes they do just snap in and out
but if i can leave them in over night for a few days its easier and more convenient

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
with all due respect if i wanted to discuss the merits of tight pockets i would have started a thread in the main forum
and i dont disagree with what rkc said
however if you play with bigger pocket like at my home room you get alittle careless on exactly where in the pocket you are aiming
these pocket reducers help you be more precise
ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WILL THEY HARM THE POCKET/ FACING
yes they do just snap in and out
but if i can leave them in over night for a few days its easier and more convenient

I will not guarantee that you will not cause damage to your facings/cushions. However, it is extremely unlikely.

Good luck with them though.. Because they are bare rubber, even just grazing one of them will reject a ball. I tried a set years ago.. They are brutal.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will not guarantee that you will not cause damage to your facings/cushions. However, it is extremely unlikely.

Good luck with them though.. Because they are bare rubber, even just grazing one of them will reject a ball. I tried a set years ago.. They are brutal.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR AN ON TOPIC REPLY....:smile::smile::thumbup::thumbup:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Larry,
I boght a set of these when I had my Non Parleliel Novelty up because it had nice generous pockets. I think I used them twice. It as not the same with them in as it seemed to deaden the rails around if you missed. I can not say for sure about leaving them in for several days, but I will look for them later today and if you like, I will send them to you as a gift.

BR,
Phil

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Larry,
I boght a set of these when I had my Non Parleliel Novelty up because it had nice generous pockets. I think I used them twice. It as not the same with them in as it seemed to deaden the rails around if you missed. I can not say for sure about leaving them in for several days, but I will look for them later today and if you like, I will send them to you as a gift.

BR,
Phil
thanks for the reply phil
its very generous of you to offer them to me ...:thumbup:
but i have a set i am using sometimes
i will call you later

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would NOT leave them in place on a long term basis. (i own a single unit, not a complete set. i've done my own rails. pascal's gambit is in effect.)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not handled a set but hope they would be engineered not to put a lot of tension on the pockets. I would think they have just enough pressure to engage the pocket and hold steady. I can contact Rick at Seyberts for his thoughts on this....He would honesty say they are good/bad or if they constantly get returned or they sell a lot of them.

edit... I looked for reviews...found nothing negative. I'm sure there would be complaints if they damaged the pockets. Try one pocket(no pun )...don't leave it engaged. Remove it after your session is finished. You have a quality table...should be fine.

Last edited:

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
practice pro pocket reducer
if i leave them in the pockets for days or longer wil they damage the facings??
thanks for your thoughts on the subject
https://www.seyberts.com/practice-pro-pocket-reducers

I cannot say if they will damage the pockets or not 100% however you are creating outward force on the bond between the rubber and the rail wood. If left in long enough and the spring is strong enough it could in theory separate the rubber from the wood.

I also like most others here, do not recommend these because, although it does reduce the size of the pockets, and you are correct it makes you try to control it more, it also is very discouraging to miss shots all the time and gets in most people's heads. Even strong players. Especially as much as these reduce the pocket and the unnatural rejections because of the raw rubber.

Might I suggest a safer better solution. Make your own. I made a set years ago out of that flooring stuff you see in kids rooms or shops that interlock together. It was a half inch thick and it reduced the pocket by an inch which is still a substantial reduction but not so much that it is counter productive. Because the material is firm but not hard it acted almost identical to a real real and nipples and did not "grab" the ball like the spring loaded ones do. It acts way more natural and feels real.

Here is kind of a tutorial on how to make them but it isn't rocket science:
http://pool.potatooo.com/making-pocket-reducers/

And this is the kinds of material I used but I think I made all six out of one OR one and a half tiles. So with a six pack you can make like for or more sets. I made a set for me then a bunch of sets for others and sold them for just enough to cover the cost of the material and then I got my set for free:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stalwart-6-Pack-Interlocking-EVA-Foam-Floor-Mats-24x24x0.375/51042649

Just a quick hint though. I made mine then heated them up a little and put them in place and taped them exactly where I wanted them let them cool over night. When I woke up I took the tape off and it was like they were molded into the pocket. Even if I took them out and put them back in they pretty much fit like a glove

This is by far a more superior way to do it. Once formed they pretty much stay in place. They are extremely easy to put in and take out but can be left in four long periods of time as well. There is no outward force like with the spring loaded ones. You get a substantial reduction in size but still feels natural to play. When you hit them going into the pocket it reacts way more like the way the table naturally would instead of giving you a unnatural roll. You still have to play a tighter game and forces you to play better but doesn't discourage you as much because your not missing as many shots that would have went in of the nipple but where rejected by the raw rubber of the spring loaded ones. It's just a better experience all the way around.

I hope this helps you and I hope it works out for you'd in any case good luck.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cannot say if they will damage the pockets or not 100% however you are creating outward force on the bond between the rubber and the rail wood. If left in long enough and the spring is strong enough it could in theory separate the rubber from the wood.

I also like most others here, do not recommend these because, although it does reduce the size of the pockets, and you are correct it makes you try to control it more, it also is very discouraging to miss shots all the time and gets in most people's heads. Even strong players. Especially as much as these reduce the pocket and the unnatural rejections because of the raw rubber.

Might I suggest a safer better solution. Make your own. I made a set years ago out of that flooring stuff you see in kids rooms or shops that interlock together. It was a half inch thick and it reduced the pocket by an inch which is still a substantial reduction but not so much that it is counter productive. Because the material is firm but not hard it acted almost identical to a real real and nipples and did not "grab" the ball like the spring loaded ones do. It acts way more natural and feels real.

Here is kind of a tutorial on how to make them but it isn't rocket science:
http://pool.potatooo.com/making-pocket-reducers/

And this is the kinds of material I used but I think I made all six out of one OR one and a half tiles. So with a six pack you can make like for or more sets. I made a set for me then a bunch of sets for others and sold them for just enough to cover the cost of the material and then I got my set for free:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stalwart-6-Pack-Interlocking-EVA-Foam-Floor-Mats-24x24x0.375/51042649

Just a quick hint though. I made mine then heated them up a little and put them in place and taped them exactly where I wanted them let them cool over night. When I woke up I took the tape off and it was like they were molded into the pocket. Even if I took them out and put them back in they pretty much fit like a glove

This is by far a more superior way to do it. Once formed they pretty much stay in place. They are extremely easy to put in and take out but can be left in four long periods of time as well. There is no outward force like with the spring loaded ones. You get a substantial reduction in size but still feels natural to play. When you hit them going into the pocket it reacts way more like the way the table naturally would instead of giving you a unnatural roll. You still have to play a tighter game and forces you to play better but doesn't discourage you as much because your not missing as many shots that would have went in of the nipple but where rejected by the raw rubber of the spring loaded ones. It's just a better experience all the way around.

I hope this helps you and I hope it works out for you'd in any case good luck.
very inventive and creative solution
thank you very much for taking the time to write your post and the links showing how to make your pocket reducers
:thumbup::thumbup:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It says it fits all 9' tables, I wonder if they will fit 7' tables too??:confused::confused::grin-square:

This is my practice table,
picture.php

I cannot say this has improved my pocketing skills, in fact if its not real difficult I would like them opened to 4 1/2" when my table gets recovered soon.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
It says it fits all 9' tables, I wonder if they will fit 7' tables too??:confused::confused::grin-square:

This is my practice table,
picture.php

I cannot say this has improved my pocketing skills, in fact if its not real difficult I would like them opened to 4 1/2" when my table gets recovered soon.

Opening is easier than tightening...

The only thing that will improve pocketing skills is discipline. Tightening the pockets is compensation for a weak mind. This is something that a lot of people misunderstand, when thinking about a practice table.

Tight pockets hinder your ability to practice hundreds of different shots. Think of it this way: you can always tighten up your aim, with a bit of additional focus. But, tight pockets tend to keep you from firing balls in, and moving the cueball multiple rails.