Oscar Mireles custom cue - 6 Burl points into an Ebony forearm and Purpleheart handle

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Both ferrules are probable LBM. Which I believe stands for Linen Based Material. The black is just a black version of the white. Same stuff no different except for color. Some people like it because it doesn't get dirty like the white ferrule with the blue chalk. I find that I wipe my ferrule after every shot so my stuff is always clean.

It looks cool with a black tip & ferrule combo.

Both ferrules are probable LBM. Which I believe stands for Linen Based Material. The black is just a black version of the white. Same stuff no different except for color. Some people like it because it doesn't get dirty like the white ferrule with the blue chalk. I find that I wipe my ferrule after every shot so my stuff is always clean.

It looks cool with a black tip & ferrule combo.

Thank you very much for the info.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The black ferrule is canvas phenolic. More commonly used for break shafts.
Heavy and very dense. Not commonly used for playing shafts as they cause too much cueball deflection.
The other ferrule looks like ivory or a synthetic to make it look like ivory.
It has a dark ring at the bottom that appears to be a gap.
The butt seems to have a little wobble when you rolled it.

Last edited:
The black ferrule is canvas phenolic. More commonly used for break shafts.
Heavy and very dense. Not commonly used for playing shafts as they cause too much cueball deflection.
The other ferrule looks like ivory or a synthetic to make it look like ivory.
It has a dark ring at the bottom that appears to be a gap.
The butt seems to have a little wobble when you rolled it.

Yeah, I thought that maybe the black ferrule was maybe a ferrule used on break cues. It appears that there is a gap between the wood and the white ferrule, but I can't feel it when I rub my finger across it. The cue rolls very straight (together and apart) with both shafts. I could not see any light or lift under any part of of the butt when I rolled it on the 9 foot Diamond that I took the pictures on. I am going to get the tips replaced with ultra skins, and am going to get that black ferrule replaced with something more commonly used on a playing cue as soon as possible. Maybe the cue repair person can somehow fix what ever it is that appears to be a gap in that ferrule (It does not look good). I think the cue could use a refinish too, but I do not have the money for that right now, and not sure if it would be worth the cost. Thanks for the info.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
I just wanted to show pictures, and a short video of a cue that I recently purchased.

If anyone has ever heard of this cue maker, or hit with one of his cues in the past, then I would be grateful to hear any opinions about what you think of his cues.

I am also curious what type of ferrule is on one of the shafts (the ferrule that is black in color), and why you think that a player may have wanted a black ferrule on the shaft?

Are black ferrules common (and preferred by many players) these days?

Thanks, and here is a link to a video, that I just finished uploading to youtube, that shows the condition of the cue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmty4JQ42y4&feature=youtu.be

I do not know, but the finish on the cue does not look that great to me (maybe it is a very thin finish, and that might be why some of the finish flaws are on the cue?).

One good thing that I can say about the cue is that the butt screws on to the shafts super tight, so I assume the threads are super tight(?).

Anyways, thanks for any thoughts about the cue.

I was told he's located somewhere in the South Texas area.

A local Gambler plays with one and swears by it but I'm not impressed. I heard the cuemaker has a bad rep as well. I don't know anything but that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told he's located somewhere in the South Texas area.

A local Gambler plays with one and swears by it but I'm not impressed. I heard the cuemaker has a bad rep as well. I don't know anything but that...

Thanks for the info. I see that the cue maker was posting on here up until August of 2014 (http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=51973). I heard that he no longer makes cues. I assume that he quit building cues around the same time that he stopped posting on here, but I do not know. I could not get in touch with him through his facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/mirelescustomcues/), or the email that he has posted on his facebook page.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I see that the cue maker was posting on here up until August of 2014 (http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=51973). I heard that he no longer makes cues. I assume that he quit building cues around the same time that he stopped posting on here, but I do not know. I could not get in touch with him through his facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/mirelescustomcues/), or the email that he has posted on his facebook page.

Try looking him up in the Corpus Christi TX area.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone mentioned him as having a bad rep. I have done business with Oscar and his son for many years and and have never heard one bad word about either one of them. I have not played with their cues, but I have read a good review or two through the years. They mostly concentrate on repairing cues while occasionally building cues.

Here is the latest contact information on our ICA site:
Mireles Cues

Oscar Mireles

Oscar Mireles Jr.

333 West Ave Suite #12

San Antonio, Texas 78213 USA

Telephone 210-209-7981

Email: mirelescues@yahoo.com

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I watched the video and saw the pictures. Looks like most your questions have good answers already. I will say, appears the collars are different lengths...possibly one has been cut down. Also you said it goes together tightly... threads may need chased, or it has been cross threaded, which would make it feel extremely tight to screw together. Other than that, cue looks ok...I personally wouldn't put much money into a refinish. Just play with it.... Matt D.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Someone mentioned him as having a bad rep. I have done business with Oscar and his son for many years and and have never heard one bad word about either one of them. I have not played with their cues, but I have read a good review or two through the years. They mostly concentrate on repairing cues while occasionally building cues.

Mireles Cues

Oscar Mireles

Oscar Mireles Jr.

333 West Ave Suite #12

Telephone 210-209-7981

I said that but I had just heard that and that was all. I have no idea why but two separate people told me that not at the same time.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take it that your silence means, you didn't buy it from the Cue maker. 2Nd hand reviews, especially on finish. Don't mean diddly. You have no idea where this cue has been or what it's gone thru. Nor am I impressed with he said, she said stories.

Mireles Cues

Oscar Mireles

Oscar Mireles Jr.

333 West Ave Suite #12

Telephone 210-209-7981

thanks a lot for posting the nice words about the cue maker, and the info you have.

I watched the video and saw the pictures. Looks like most your questions have good answers already. I will say, appears the collars are different lengths...possibly one has been cut down. Also you said it goes together tightly... threads may need chased, or it has been cross threaded, which would make it feel extremely tight to screw together. Other than that, cue looks ok...I personally wouldn't put much money into a refinish. Just play with it.... Matt D.

Yeah, you are right. One of the joint collars is about half the length of the other one. The one with the shorter joint collar and white ferrule is the one that screws on very tight. The other one is not as difficult to screw together. I really love the hit of the cue. It hits super nice (and solid) in my opinion. Whoever owned it in the past, they really did not take good care for it, and really abused the cue, because it is filled with dings, dents, and finish flaws. I am just happy it is still a very straight cue, and that the shafts do not have any damage to them. I will just get the tips replaced, and the black ferrule replaced with a regular white ferrule (of something that the repair person recommends for a players ferrule). Thanks for the info.

I'll take it that your silence means, you didn't buy it from the Cue maker. 2Nd hand reviews, especially on finish. Don't mean diddly. You have no idea where this cue has been or what it's gone thru. Nor am I impressed with he said, she said stories.

I am sorry, I was not paying attention to this thread for many days (since my last reply to it), or I would have replied sooner. Yeah, I did not buy the cue directly from the cue maker. I purchased it from an ebay seller (he is actually a forum member on here, and did the deal through this forum, to save him on ebay fees, and get me a little bit of a discount on the cue). The cue was very used and abused when I received it (recently). I am sure that who ever owned it (if it only had 1 owner, before the last owner that I purchased it from), they really abused the cue, and did not take good care of it. I imagine that it was originally a very nice looking cue, with a very nice looking finish on it. It was abused by a pool player though (that is all). By the way, I have seen some pictures of your cues in the past, and really love the looks of them. You make an amazing looking cue. Thanks for your reply.

I said that but I had just heard that and that was all. I have no idea why but two separate people told me that not at the same time.

I assume that they did not go into detail about why they think (or know) that Oscar Mireles has a bad rep? I see that he does have a 100% positive feedback on this forum (and listed a lot of nice high end cues, from other cue makers, for sale on here), and that he has not logged in since August of 2014. I wonder why he never showed his cues (that he made on here), and why nobody remembers him just from a few short years ago (other then the few that have posted about him on here). Maybe he did not make very many cues.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry, I was not paying attention to this thread for many days (since my last reply to it), or I would have replied sooner. Yeah, I did not buy the cue directly from the cue maker. I purchased it from an ebay seller (he is actually a forum member on here, and did the deal through this forum, to save him on ebay fees, and get me a little bit of a discount on the cue). The cue was very used and abused when I received it (recently). I am sure that who ever owned it (if it only had 1 owner, before the last owner that I purchased it from), they really abused the cue, and did not take good care of it. I imagine that it was originally a very nice looking cue, with a very nice looking finish on it. It was abused by a pool player though (that is all). By the way, I have seen some pictures of your cues in the past, and really love the looks of them. You make an amazing looking cue. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you but 25 years ago. Not so much but I rememer. Glad I moved forward.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
I assume that they did not go into detail about why they think (or know) that Oscar Mireles has a bad rep? I see that he does have a 100% positive feedback on this forum (and listed a lot of nice high end cues, from other cue makers, for sale on here), and that he has not logged in since August of 2014. I wonder why he never showed his cues (that he made on here), and why nobody remembers him just from a few short years ago (other then the few that have posted about him on here). Maybe he did not make very many cues.

A great player here has one and wanted another as he loves his, says there's nothing else he would buy if so. He suggested a trip from Florida to go get one. I said why drive to Texas, he said he doesn't follow through. So I called a friend in that area the next day and he said the same thing. Anyhow, that's all I know. Hopefully none of that is true...