Stroke vs. Aiming

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's not an either-or proposition.

First you aim then you stroke. BUT both have to be PRECISE.

Couple examples from my match this past weekend.

Justin has a wonderful stroke. He went to China and was told his stroke is shit and how to fix it. He did.

I have known for a long time my stroke is shit (Justin's before China was WAY better than mine). I worked on mine for the past month.

Justin missed a lot of easy shots primarily because in my opinion he aimed wrong. The shots where he took a little more time to get aimed right and focused on he hit the heart of the pocket each time.

I missed a lot of shots due to still jerking my cue even though I was aimed right. But I also made a lot of TOUGH shots under pressure because of being aimed right and keeping my stroke under control.

So the net net on this is that to be a complete player you need to be able to aim accurately however you can accomplish that and once aimed you need to be able to ship that cueball where it's aimed with deadly precision. Over and Over and Over and Over and Over..........

There is no sense to argue about this. No one who advocates for aiming systems denies the importance of stroke. In fact the opposite is true in that learning to aim accurately will expose stroke flaws pretty fast and can cost someone a lot of money... ;-)

Aiming is aiming. It's nothing more than using your eyes to get your body into the right space to go down to the shooting position. The aiming is done while you are standing up and once down it's done and right or wrong you have to commit unless you just don't like it. Then stand up and start over until you do.

There is no sense to say that any aiming system does not work if someone can, with a straight stroke, demonstrate that they can proficiently make shots.

So, if any aiming system proponent thinks that a solid straight stroke is not important please speak up.

Are we done here with the stroke vs. aiming system argument?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
YUP, aim then stroke (slip-stroke can also fix wonkyness)

to each there own with regards to aiming systems

prior to quitting i had success with edge to edge on thin cut shots

1P is finesse, touch, feel, pocket speed and KNOWING what whitey is doing- NOT making gophers on occasion

i'd venture to say that if a player doesn't 8 and out often many more games are won and lost as a result of where snow drifts to

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So, in one trip to China, someone told him his stroke was bad.
He then worked on it and elevated his game?
In how long?

Meanwhile, how many years now in experimenting with different aiming systems?
Maybe that DAM isn't so bad after all.
Maybe Scott Frost is right after all.

That being said, I think you can benefit from a little piston follow through.
Just let the grip hand go forward maybe 2 to 3 fists instead of stopping at contact and going up.
You are shanking too often .
If that follow piston follow becomes a habit, I think you will shoot much straighter.

Sorry, you need to throw away ANY PIVOT system.
You really should just stroke through that aiming line on Gordy's template and forget about how you got there.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep....Stroke is #1. It does no good to know exactly where to aim if you can't consistently send the cue ball to that aim spot. A good stroke makes all the difference.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So, in one trip to China, someone told him his stroke was bad.
He then worked on it and elevated his game?
In how long?

Meanwhile, how many years now in experimenting with different aiming systems?
Maybe that DAM isn't so bad after all.
Maybe Scott Frost is right after all.

That being said, I think you can benefit from a little piston follow through.
Just let the grip hand go forward maybe 2 to 3 fists instead of stopping at contact and going up.
You are shanking too often .
If that follow piston follow becomes a habit, I think you will shoot much straighter.

Sorry, you need to throw away ANY PIVOT system.
You really should just stroke through that aiming line on Gordy's template and forget about how you got there.
You can't help it can you? All modern aiming systems are good. Some are great.

But none of them matter without a good stroke. And the best stroke on earth doesn't matter if you can't aim. Two halves of the complete player.

People like you are the reason that there is a problem.

I didn't say Justin elevated his game...I said he worked on his stroke. He still misses a lot of shots. He has a great stroke though so why is he missing Joey? Come on xray man? You obviously think you're telepathic and know what every person is thinking and seeing in their mind as they look at a shot.... So tell us how a person with a laser straight stroke misses shots?

You need to throw away your computer because it exposes your pathological bias when you use it to post on these forums. Just stick to making plain Jane cues and hoarding Kerry's x-rays rather that to continue to be a stalker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can't help it can you? All modern aiming systems are good. Some are great.

But none of them matter without a good stroke. And the best stroke on earth doesn't matter if you can't aim. Two halves of the complete player.

People like you are the reason that there is a problem.

I didn't say Justin elevated his game...I said he worked on his stroke. He still misses a lot of shots. He has a great stroke though so why is he missing Joey? Come on xray man? You obviously think you're telepathic and know what every person is thinking and seeing in their mind as they look at a shot.... So tell us how a person with a laser straight stroke misses shots?

You need to throw away your computer because it exposes your pathological bias when you use it to post on these forums. Just stick to making plain Jane cues and hoarding Kerry's x-rays rather that to continue to be a stalker.

Please DEFINE MODERN AIMING systems.

John, there is NO PERFECT AIMING SYSTEM. NONE.
There is however an attainable straight stroke.
How did Justin miss?
Did he miss a lot of center ball hits?
Or did he miss more shots with spins?
There is no 100% proof aiming system or stroke to not cause any miss.

John, this is the bottom line. NO MATTER HOW YOU paint it .
The good players hit the eyes of them balls .
They look at where the ball has to be hit and they hit it.
And you can throw away the FEEL factor as much as you want .
The visualization of the balls colliding and all that .

And you're still missing it.
You are still missing the whole point.
Peeps who have really good stroke really have no need for these aiming systems. You see them at the pool hall day and day out.
Neil Fujiwara has a good term for them. Shooting fools. Fkkrs who just pocket balls and get in shape for the next ball. Over and over and over again.
How many have heard of these " MODERN AIMING" systems???
Certainly not one that has 2 dvd's devoted to it .

Sorry, I don't hoard the X-rays.
The plane janes are doing fine.

Sorry, you are the one with pathological bias .
You jump on me when I said most amateurs miss because we misshit the cueball ( more often ) than because by our aim. And that opinion is shared by Mark Wilson and Jerry Briesath.
But, somehow, that happens to you but not to most amateurs?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Joey seriously thanks for the advice. Yes I could do with better follow through. But man you missed the point of my original post altogether.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, as I mentioned in the other thread, I thought you had some really good banks, and shots in general for that matter. I think one-pocket is not Justin's strong suit judging by watching, so possibly some of his misses were just being in slightly unfamiliar territory. Even though you didn't execute all the time, you seemed to have a better grasp of what shot to take, where Justin looked a bit confused at times.

To me it just seemed on certain shots, looked like touch spin shots, you didn't trust the straight stroke enough and tried to steer the CB? Otherwise, if those key shots fell in, it may have been a lot closer, or in your favor. You made quite a few long range, tough cuts that were pretty impressive.

I don't think you'll get any argument from me that a solid stroke is key in getting the most from any aiming system. I think the question is more, what does one learn first? If it's a 7-year-old, we'd probably have him hit the CB off the head spot through the foot spot, and make the CB hit the tip, hundreds of times. Most adults, go out and shoot first, learn how to spin it, and only after years of frustration someone tells them their stroke is crooked and they need to fix it. Which by then, they have to try to remedy years of bad habits. At that point, teaching them an aiming system will work just as well as them buying a Revo - yet they'll go out and buy that Revo anyway.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Please DEFINE MODERN AIMING systems.

John, there is NO PERFECT AIMING SYSTEM. NONE.
There is however an attainable straight stroke.
How did Justin miss?
Did he miss a lot of center ball hits?
Or did he miss more shots with spins?
There is no 100% proof aiming system or stroke to not cause any miss.

John, this is the bottom line. NO MATTER HOW YOU paint it .
The good players hit the eyes of them balls .
They look at where the ball has to be hit and they hit it.
And you can throw away the FEEL factor as much as you want .
The visualization of the balls colliding and all that .

And you're still missing it.
You are still missing the whole point.
Peeps who have really good stroke really have no need for these aiming systems. You see them at the pool hall day and day out.
Neil Fujiwara has a good term for them. Shooting fools. Fkkrs who just pocket balls and get in shape for the next ball. Over and over and over again.
How many have heard of these " MODERN AIMING" systems???
Certainly not one that has 2 dvd's devoted to it .

Sorry, I don't hoard the X-rays.
The plane janes are doing fine.

Sorry, you are the one with pathological bias .
You jump on me when I said most amateurs miss because we misshit the cueball ( more often ) than because by our aim. And that opinion is shared by Mark Wilson and Jerry Briesath.
But, somehow, that happens to you but not to most amateurs?

You tell me how he missed?

Lot's of people have heard of modern aiming systems. Brian Parks just beat Bustamante and Oscar to win the Mezz Tour stop. He is a big CTE AND side of ferrule aiming proponent - two things you HATE.

Funny you mention Mark Wilson. Justin and I had a lot of good conversation this weekend and he spent two years following Mark's book religiously with little improvement. Then he went to China and learned from a snooker coach about how his stroke, which he thought was pretty good, was in fact not good. And because you're so nice about it I won't tell you what he told me.

Once again, aiming is aiming, stroke is stroke. Aim any way you want to and stroke straight down the line you are on. Anyone who thinks either aspect is to be neglected or taken for granted is a fool. So let it go. Leave people alone who want to learn to aim in any fashion they choose. They will learn soon enough that they have to have a straight stroke to compliment their aiming. And vice versa, anyone who develops a straight stroke will have to learn to accurately aim to compliment their stroke.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You tell me how he missed?

Lot's of people have heard of modern aiming systems. Brian Parks just beat Bustamante and Oscar to win the Mezz Tour stop. He is a big CTE AND side of ferrule aiming proponent - two things you HATE.

Funny you mention Mark Wilson. Justin and I had a lot of good conversation this weekend and he spent two years following Mark's book religiously with little improvement. Then he went to China and learned from a snooker coach about how his stroke, which he thought was pretty good, was in fact not good. And because you're so nice about it I won't tell you what he told me.

Once again, aiming is aiming, stroke is stroke. Aim any way you want to and stroke straight down the line you are on. Anyone who thinks either aspect is to be neglected or taken for granted is a fool. So let it go. Leave people alone who want to learn to aim in any fashion they choose. They will learn soon enough that they have to have a straight stroke to compliment their aiming. And vice versa, anyone who develops a straight stroke will have to learn to accurately aim to compliment their stroke.

I can confirm that Brian Parks is a proponent of CTE. He has flown across country twice for CTE lessons coupled with stroke work, with the most recent visit the early part of 2016. His first trip was about 2009.

Stan Shuffett

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can confirm that Brian Parks is a proponent of CTE. He has flown across country twice for CTE lessons coupled with stroke work, with the most recent visit the early part of 2016. His first trip was about 2009.

Stan Shuffett

Stan, is Jason Klatt using CTE?

I think you wrote it once somewhere.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan, is Jason Klatt using CTE?

I think you wrote it once somewhere.

I have not spoken to Jason in years.

I did teach Jason the PRO ONE version of CTE which remains a very strong form of CTE PRO ONE. According to Sarah Rowsey, Jason also used my 1st DVD and worked very hard with the material during a long stint while working at a pool room. Sarah went on to say that he attributed a big jump in his game because of CTE as well as a high finish at the time in the US OPEN 9 Ball Championships. I have recently heard that CTE still influences his game. I am hoping to work with Jadon again some day.

Stan Shuffett

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John, as I mentioned in the other thread, I thought you had some really good banks, and shots in general for that matter. I think one-pocket is not Justin's strong suit judging by watching, so possibly some of his misses were just being in slightly unfamiliar territory. Even though you didn't execute all the time, you seemed to have a better grasp of what shot to take, where Justin looked a bit confused at times.

To me it just seemed on certain shots, looked like touch spin shots, you didn't trust the straight stroke enough and tried to steer the CB? Otherwise, if those key shots fell in, it may have been a lot closer, or in your favor. You made quite a few long range, tough cuts that were pretty impressive.

I don't think you'll get any argument from me that a solid stroke is key in getting the most from any aiming system. I think the question is more, what does one learn first? If it's a 7-year-old, we'd probably have him hit the CB off the head spot through the foot spot, and make the CB hit the tip, hundreds of times. Most adults, go out and shoot first, learn how to spin it, and only after years of frustration someone tells them their stroke is crooked and they need to fix it. Which by then, they have to try to remedy years of bad habits. At that point, teaching them an aiming system will work just as well as them buying a Revo - yet they'll go out and buy that Revo anyway.

there is no sense to teach anyone how to aim in any complicated way as a beginner. That's not the premise of these discussions. And without the basic ability to hit the ball in a straight line what good is having a straight line to shoot down.

If someone wants to try and "buy" a better game then let them. If they want to invest time into an aiming system, an LD shaft, a four inch thick book, dvds, whatever...let them do so in peace.

The table won't lie to them....either they will improve or they wont and that's on them. No one here can say with certainty what will help any individual to improve. They can't say that any one thing will be what helps a person reach their milestones. Just be happy that there are people to try whatever other people are spending time creating.

This sport and this industry is tiny. A large percentage of the people working in it are doing it more for the passion of the sport than to build a solid money making career. They often spend their time and savings to create products that they really feel are beneficial to anyone who will give them a chance. They often will sponsor tournaments and players until they no longer can afford it. They spend money on advertising with billiard magazines and websites, they donate product.

Why should we shit on those people just because we INDIVIDUALLY don't agree with whatever they are selling? I mean if a person isn't scamming, they are genuinely promoting something they worked on and believe in, and that thing has good reviews then why dog them to the point that they get discouraged and driven away?

I bought an ebook once that was horrible, essentially the lesson was "don't miss". To me that's a scam that deserves to be slammed. But when someone is genuine and sincere and has a product that is thoughtfully designed to help players get better we should just leave them alone to do their thing. If it turns out to be something really good then that will come through and if not it will wither and fade.

We can give our opinions without being nasty and mean and rude. We can say things like "I think working on your stroke is more important than aiming" and leave it at that without having to attempt to discredit anyone's aiming system that they developed or refined.

And if you really want to "debunk" a method then get on the table and debate it. Let the creator defend himself ON THE TABLE to tackle the criticisms leveled. But that can also be done in a civil manner that is intended as a sincere exchange of ideas with the ultimate goal being to distill the information to the purest form so everyone can understand it.

This is my point and will remain my point. All of who love pool generally love to play it more than we love to talk about it. And we like to think that we are on a journey to become the best players we can be and that we can always improve in some way. So be encouraging of anything that fosters more pool playing.

Stay in Stroke!

John

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is no sense to teach anyone how to aim in any complicated way as a beginner. That's not the premise of these discussions. And without the basic ability to hit the ball in a straight line what good is having a straight line to shoot down.

If someone wants to try and "buy" a better game then let them. If they want to invest time into an aiming system, an LD shaft, a four inch thick book, dvds, whatever...let them do so in peace.

The table won't lie to them....either they will improve or they wont and that's on them. No one here can say with certainty what will help any individual to improve. They can't say that any one thing will be what helps a person reach their milestones. Just be happy that there are people to try whatever other people are spending time creating.

This sport and this industry is tiny. A large percentage of the people working in it are doing it more for the passion of the sport than to build a solid money making career. They often spend their time and savings to create products that they really feel are beneficial to anyone who will give them a chance. They often will sponsor tournaments and players until they no longer can afford it. They spend money on advertising with billiard magazines and websites, they donate product.

Why should we shit on those people just because we INDIVIDUALLY don't agree with whatever they are selling? I mean if a person isn't scamming, they are genuinely promoting something they worked on and believe in, and that thing has good reviews then why dog them to the point that they get discouraged and driven away?

I bought an ebook once that was horrible, essentially the lesson was "don't miss". To me that's a scam that deserves to be slammed. But when someone is genuine and sincere and has a product that is thoughtfully designed to help players get better we should just leave them alone to do their thing. If it turns out to be something really good then that will come through and if not it will wither and fade.

We can give our opinions without being nasty and mean and rude. We can say things like "I think working on your stroke is more important than aiming" and leave it at that without having to attempt to discredit anyone's aiming system that they developed or refined.

And if you really want to "debunk" a method then get on the table and debate it. Let the creator defend himself ON THE TABLE to tackle the criticisms leveled. But that can also be done in a civil manner that is intended as a sincere exchange of ideas with the ultimate goal being to distill the information to the purest form so everyone can understand it.

This is my point and will remain my point. All of who love pool generally love to play it more than we love to talk about it. And we like to think that we are on a journey to become the best players we can be and that we can always improve in some way. So be encouraging of anything that fosters more pool playing.

Stay in Stroke!

John
great post
sent you a greenie....:thumbup:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Stay in Stroke!

John

Well said. Years ago I had a small billiards retail store. Business was very slow and I
was thankful to have had another a job at the time. I closed up and went with an online
store, BC's Billiards, for about 5 years. I remember thinking how terribly slow the industry
had become. And then the movie, Poolhall Junkies, was supposed to reignite the flame
like The Hustler did for the 60's and Color of Money for the 80's. But it did no such thing
because it was a limited release. Anyway, your comments are dead on aim....we love
this game, this sport, and we all just want to be the best that we can be. At the same
time we strive to help others be the best they can be.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stay in Stroke!

John

I'm trying to comprehend the combative nature of your response when in actuality I've been generally supportive of what you have said here. Just the same, I'll comment on your responses to me.

Who said that? And what constitutes "complicated aiming?" I made no reference to aiming other than our agreement that aiming and stroke are not mutually exclusive.

I never said they couldn't do that either. Just the same, if someone asks for an opinion on something, I nudge them in the direction I believe in. People are going to buy what they want to buy regardless. And while you may think that's for the betterment of the sport, it ends up turning into resentment when those purchases do not bear the improvements they seek. In fact, in the Broken Revo thread, I was the one defending Predator and their product, when everyone else was dogging them. There was a lot of misinformation about how the CF shaft was made, and why they used foam in the core (which I was right about) that it made my skin crawl.

There's no argument here for the most part. I'm indifferent to people tyring different things, regardless of what my personal opinions are. At the same time, it takes as much of an open mind to 'not' buy something as it does 'to' buy something.

No argument from me, though I never brought up a point to the contrary so I don't understand why you'd reiterate the obvious to me.

I'm not shitting on on anyone constructive. In the case of Stan (who I think you're referring to), I've been generally supportive in the midst of some of the negativity. In fact I have conversed with him privately on the matter, because I did not want to broach some subjects in the open out of respect for the man. Have even been in the process of figuring out an excuse to visit Kentucky so I can meet Stan personally, but it's busy season at work so I'll have to wait till June at least. You may be confusing me with someone else. I don't understand how CTE works, using all my knowledge of CAD/CAM, mathematics and physics. I tried to figure it out when Hal posted his fractional system 20 years ago. And it's the same exact people from then arguing for two decades that bicker about this. Pretty humorous if you ask me; akin to the old men at the coffee shop arguing the same argument ad nauseum. But you have it completely wrong what I think of Stan and his work.

We can give our opinions without being nasty and mean and rude. We can say things like "I think working on your stroke is more important than aiming" and leave it at that without having to attempt to discredit anyone's aiming system that they developed or refined

Again, point me where I have dismissed Stan's work whosesale and I'll gladly retract and apologize. But I won't, because I would never do that, regardless of whether I agree with it or not. What I DO dismiss are teh legions of foot soldiers who'll blindly defend something. Which is why I'm glad that Stan is here himself to discuss the truths and fallacies of his findings, and not third-hand. There's some great testimonials, and that's what they are - not 'proof' as the foot soldiers claim. We see the how, but the why is more complicated than most would like to admit. And I'm fine with that. I'd have even stumbled upon my own version which divides the OB into sixths (or each side into 3) with some pretty good results.

The work I had done on and off was in my quest to "prove" Hal's original post. To this day, I can't; that doesn't mean it can't be. Stan has even said so himself that the ultimate proof may not come in his time. Yet he has a decade of understanding it and perfecting his methods and is willing to share it, and I'm down with that. I don't use much CTE when I do shoot, as I more-or-less visualize each shot as if it already happened, using only 2 lines. Which was sort of an extension of what I learned from George Fels and Bob Byrne. Works really well, but nowadays I'm lucky if I shoot 3 hours a week. Met a fellow forum member who has all but convinced me to join the Tri State Tour. But, regardless my opinin, I gather as much information as I can, as I feel that in a game where both players have equal physical abilities, it's the one with more knowledge that ends up ahead in the end.

I think that anyone who thinks of this game as more than just a pastime is always looking to improve. I still believe, however, that the more people see improvement, the more they will continue to practice and play. I commented on your past match more as observation and encouragement. I don't see how it could be construed as "dogging" a system, when in fact I mentioned it was probably your lack of trust in it by steering the cue that lead to many of those misses. As someone who sees the exact same problems going on in bowling and golf (and their related forums and related arguments are almost exactly the same as pool, just substitute the sport names) and with pool being my first love, I'd like to see the sport have another revival. But it won't if the participants erroneously feel they were fleeced. It may not be the sellers' intention, but that does not matter. The other thing is that we see an ever growing rise of star caliber players from Europe and Asia. And I'd guess that part of that is due to the fact that their bringing up and training their young talent in a way we don't do here.

Stay in Stroke!

John, best of luck in all your future endeavors... hope to meet you someday....

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

John

John - I appreciate our newfound mutual respect, but I hope you will acknowledge that CTE supporters have thrown around a good sized portion of being "nasty and mean and rude." I'm just saying it has been going both ways for a long time.

It should also be mentioned that not everything can be proven or disproven only "at the table."

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Stay in Stroke!

John

Really......so quoting out of context is not mean and nasty nor trying to discredit anyone?

Purest form huh........then 1/2 ball hits don't exist....I offered proof by way of pic.....now.....you debunk my proof.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't think the first person who ever mentioned CTE or any aiming system was mean or nasty to anyone without provocation. However once started it is clear that debate devolves quickly and no one cares who started it. My point is that letting people do what they want to do without belittling them is a better way to go when the common goal is to grow pool.

If you can't disprove something on the pool table why bother knocking it? If a player can reach his goals by the use of some method that someone else thinks is not valid why knock that?

In every physical endeavor trainers and coaches and instructors have to use and sometimes create language that attempts to get the student to adopt the correct movements to achieve the task. In doing so the description of what is happening may not be accurate but if the desired task is then accomplished with consistency then the goal is achieved.

This falls under the concept of context being more important than cellular level fact. The context is precision aiming....the diversion is nitpicking what can't be proven or disproven on the table. That nitpicking then causes animosity. And making it a stroke vs aiming argument also is divisive and causes arguments where none should exist.

The first time I ever posted about any aiming system I was not rude to anyone until I was attacked. That attack should never have happened.