Cue ID Please!!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Classic old Joss design, though different than typical shaft collar ring work, plus pointed forearms were usually maple, rather than ebony or rosewood. Not absolute though.

The weight screw says a lot. Hex screw, or slotted screw?

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hard to be sure, but looks like an 18 thread pin. That would all but disqualify it as a Scruggs, unless someone can point out at least several Scruggs cues with an 18 thread pin. I'm not aware of any.

Also, Tim rarely did the older implex material, which this is, in the butt plate and butt sleeve. There were a few, but not many.

Also, Tim secured the buttplate to the buttsleeve with epoxy, which this not. Still seems to indicate an older Joss, but there are some funny things.

By the way, also very telling. What is the bumper? Is it the brown-reddish KU bumper, or is it a black bumper. Even if it looks black, sometimes you have to rub it a bit with a damp paper towel to bring out the red, if a KU. That also makes a difference whether Joss or Scruggs.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to be sure, but looks like an 18 thread pin.

Yes, it does look like an 18 pin.

But Scruggs did work at Joss.....

I think we are "in the family" here with Joss/Scruggs/Stroud...but the attachment of the butt plate is maybe telling...as is the 18 pin.

Style, materials, design. etc...scream Joss-like....but I do wonder if it is not...

Ring at A joint, above the wrap, is exceedingly rare for Joss.

Maybe the bumper tells something...but bumpers can easily be changed.

The weight bolt and the bumper bolt may reveal something more than just the bumper itself.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Please post a clear photo of the tenon sticking out of the buttsleeve, the part where you removed the buttcap

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, it does look like an 18 pin.

But Scruggs did work at Joss.....

I think we are "in the family" here with Joss/Scruggs/Stroud...but the attachment of the butt plate is maybe telling...as is the 18 pin.

Style, materials, design. etc...scream Joss-like....but I do wonder if it is not...

Ring at A joint, above the wrap, is exceedingly rare for Joss.

Maybe the bumper tells something...but bumpers can easily be changed.

The weight bolt and the bumper bolt may reveal something more than just the bumper itself.

True, the ring at the A joint for Joss usually matched something else in the cue, i.e., the pattern in the buttsleeve, and the inlays in the points. This one is dashed, doesn't match the other motifs.

And yes, Scruggs did work at Joss, but tended not to do the very same designs, especially with these window types. In that respect, Tim went a bit his own way on cues, if you exclude plain four pointers.

I'm still waiting on the weight screw and the bumper. They mean everything. Yes, they can be changed, but a close up on their age would show whether they're original or not.

You know something also? The shaft joint rings also look like Ernie, but nothing else about this cue does.

Could be another rabbit hole... We've been there...

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yes, Scruggs did work at Joss, but tended not to do the very same designs, especially with these window types. In that respect, Tim went a bit his own way on cues, if you exclude plain four pointers.

Yes, I meant while he was still working there.

Just as Stroud occasionally chimes in saying he remembers building a particular Joss, perhaps TS could...if he were still with us...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know something also? The shaft joint rings also look like Ernie, but nothing else about this cue does.

Could be another rabbit hole... We've been there...

All the best,
WW

Yup.

There are some Frankenstein features here.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, the ring at the A joint for Joss usually matched something else in the cue, i.e., the pattern in the buttsleeve, and the inlays in the points. This one is dashed, doesn't match the other motifs.

True.

And rings in that location of any kind, even on the fancy early Joss cues, are rare.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
True.

And rings in that location of any kind, even on the fancy early Joss cues, are rare.

However, rings at the A Joint, even mismatched to the point inlays? Yep, they exist for Joss... Not conclusive...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Joss Mismatch.jpg
    Joss Mismatch.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 398

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funky. Lots of design possibilities.

I can't see it being a Joss unless someone replaced that buttcap. That being said, It's odd that we all leaned towards Joss within .0001 seconds when we saw the first picture. It's like all of the folks who have been working with and admiring this stuff forever and day all play the mental "I can name that cue maker in 5 seconds game."

I agree that it does appear to be a 5/16-18 pin and the quality is pretty good from the pictures. Definitely not TAD. Never seen a Gina with that treatment on the buttcap and it just doesn't say Gina to me. What about a Tillis? I've only seen one in person ever.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I can't see it being a Joss unless someone replaced that buttcap. That being said, It's odd that we all leaned towards Joss within .0001 seconds when we saw the first picture. It's like all of the folks who have been working with and admiring this stuff forever and day all play the mental "I can name that cue maker in 5 seconds game."

I agree that it does appear to be a 5/16-18 pin and the quality is pretty good from the pictures. Definitely not TAD. Never seen a Gina with that treatment on the buttcap and it just doesn't say Gina to me. What about a Tillis? I've only seen one in person ever.

The wood in the nose says Adam to me. I'll offer 450 cash for it with the second shaft