Looking for review Mezz Ex Pro shaft ?

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz MSP-C sneaky with Ex Pro shaft

Hi all,

I don't want to start a new thread for this, and I've read all there is about the Mezz Ex Pro shaft in these forums, but it just seems like there's not that much info about it.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on buying this beautiful Mezz MSP-C sneaky and pairing it with a Mezz Ex Pro shaft.
http://mezzcue.com/en/products/cues/detail.php?game=pool&cate=cues&series=msp&item=c&kinds=playcue

So, I was wondering, what is your experience/opinion of the Ex Pro shaft? Any educated opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check my Mezz thread in the equipment section.

I have, that was my starting point. :) Great thread, thanks for that, but still not that much info on ExPro, would really like to hear more.

Quick question: you seem like an expert on Mezz cues - do you think this combo MSP-C+ExPro will work? Would I be missing on anything if I decided to go for the sneaky instead of a more expensive butt (in terms of quality/feel, not esthetics)? Thanks.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have, that was my starting point. :) Great thread, thanks for that, but still not that much info on ExPro, would really like to hear more.

Quick question: you seem like an expert on Mezz cues - do you think this combo MSP-C+ExPro will work? Would I be missing on anything if I decided to go for the sneaky instead of a more expensive butt (in terms of quality/feel, not esthetics)? Thanks.

The best shaft i have played with. Period. It has by far the lowest deflection out of 12.5+ shafts comparable to wx900/z-shaft while having almost non-ld feedback due to carbon insert which makes the ex pro shaft more to the stiff side (hp2 is stiffer though but also has more deflection). The price tag on ex pro is not cheap but it is worth it. I have G2 soft on my ex pro and cant be happier. As far as ex pro vs different mezz butts - unless you are high-level amateur/pro player you wont recognize much of a difference. Hope this helps;)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That will be a nice combo, I have a friend who has that exact cue. Very nice balance and the feedback is always best with wrapless cues.
In short, the EX Pro shaft will give you the power of a carbonfiber shaft, but with the natural feel of an all maple shaft.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, Kim, thanks for your input, you've been very helpful. I'm probably going to wait for a few more replies just so that I can say I did my due diligence and later this week or early next week I'm most likely pulling the trigger on this setup.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Love it

I have an Exceed custom and shoot with the ExPro since SBE this year.

I love it. To me the deflection is on par with my old 314-3 shafts, but without the dead feeling. It hits crisp with good feedback if that makes any sense.

I bought 2 at the expo with my cue, and one ferrule did develop a crack after a few months of normal play, the other has no issues. I email Mezz customer support and they are covering the cost of ferrule replacement under warranty.

It's a solid purchase, imo.

b

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comment. The ferrule issue does sound worrisome, but it's the first I heard of when it comes to the Mezz cues, so I'll disregard it for now. I agree with you that 314-3 has a very, veeeery dead hit (possible the most dead hit I've experienced), so the fact that ExPro feels livelier than that is something I was hoping to hear.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the ~12.5mm, pro taper style shaft, and went through the Mezz catalog. I've used the WD700 for the past few years with a HP2 in the mix several times. I didn't enjoy the HP2 so much because the carbon fiber insert made it feel crisp, but plasticky, so not rich in vibration. It does move the cue ball around a lot, for better or worse.

The Ex Pro in comparison feels more like the WD700, so one of those LD shafts that feels remarkably like a standard shaft. The LD performance is lower than the WD700, closer to WX900/Z2 levels than 314/WD700 levels. We're spoiled for choices here - you can basically choose as much squirt as you want. I like the idea of having a very balanced spec cue, so I stuck with the WD700. Neither is a bad choice if your priorities are about how close it feels to a standard shaft, your limiting factor will come down to cost.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the ~12.5mm, pro taper style shaft, and went through the Mezz catalog. I've used the WD700 for the past few years with a HP2 in the mix several times. I didn't enjoy the HP2 so much because the carbon fiber insert made it feel crisp, but plasticky, so not rich in vibration. It does move the cue ball around a lot, for better or worse.

The Ex Pro in comparison feels more like the WD700, so one of those LD shafts that feels remarkably like a standard shaft. The LD performance is lower than the WD700, closer to WX900/Z2 levels than 314/WD700 levels. We're spoiled for choices here - you can basically choose as much squirt as you want. I like the idea of having a very balanced spec cue, so I stuck with the WD700. Neither is a bad choice if your priorities are about how close it feels to a standard shaft, your limiting factor will come down to cost.

Thanks, asamimasa. So, if I understood you correctly - the Ex Pro has all the benefits of none of the malaise? Let's say the price is a non-issue, would you be open to recommending Ex Pro over WX700 and all other shafts then? I'm not even that bothered by the LD measure. I come from Predators (which are generally known to be the leaders in LD performance), but I am looking for a better feel. A nicer hit without that hollow dead feeling that the Predators have (especially 314-3 imo). Having a very good LD performance sure is a nice bonus, but I'm mostly concerned about the hit, feel and responsiveness of the shaft.

Bottom line - pricing aside, would you have anything bad to say about the Ex Pro?

Last edited:

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, asamimasa. So, if I understood you correctly - the Ex Pro has all the benefits of none of the malaise? Let's say the price is a non-issue, would you be open to recommending Ex Pro over WX700 and all other shafts then? I'm not even that bothered by the LD measure. I come from Predators (which are generally known to be the leaders in LD performance), but I am looking for a better feel. A nicer hit without that hollow dead feeling that the Predators have (especially 314-3 imo). Having a very good LD performance sure is a nice bonus, but I'm mostly concerned about the hit, feel and responsiveness of the shaft.

Bottom line - pricing aside, would you have anything bad to say about the Ex Pro?

I don't have anything negative to mention about it once the wallet stops bleeding. I think aside from the cost difference, it will come down to how much deflection you want - If you want the least that a 12.5mm, pro shaft has to offer, then go with the Ex Pro. If you want medium low deflection, the WD700. They both offer very good feedback, superb among the LD breed.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t own any Mezz products but have tried various cues with various Mezz shafts and various Mezz cues with mezz shafts and all in all they were awesome. I don’t think you can really pick a bad one. They all felt awesome but if I were in the market for one I’d pick the wd700. It had a particular “bounce or spring”

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Superiorduper, the WX700 is actually the only Mezz shaft I had previously owned. :) I'm interested in Ex Pro right now.

A few times in this thread it has been stated that Ex Pro is probably the lowest deflection shaft in the market among the shafts that are ~12.5mm. I wonder... does that include the 12.4mm Revo? I'd be amazed if Ex Pro actually has Revo beat even in that department.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Superiorduper, the WX700 is actually the only Mezz shaft I had previously owned. :) I'm interested in Ex Pro right now.

A few times in this thread it has been stated that Ex Pro is probably the lowest deflection shaft in the market among the shafts that are ~12.5mm. I wonder... does that include the 12.4mm Revo? I'd be amazed if Ex Pro actually has Revo beat even in that department.

I tried Revo alongside Ex Pro and they are about the same deflection-wise ;)

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried Revo alongside Ex Pro and they are about the same deflection-wise ;)

Really?! That's awesome. I mean, I'm already set on Ex Pro (just trying to find the right deal, as it's not that easy buying that stuff from Serbia), but I didn't expect that the deflection is really that low. I mean, I've played with WX700 for about a week or two, and the deflection is definitely greater than that of 314-2 (disregarding the feel at the moment), so I figured Ex Pro probably lacks behind Revo a bit in that department (which would be ok with me, as I'm getting the Ex Pro because of the increased hit and feel compared to Predator LD shafts). Thanks for the comparison!

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?! That's awesome. I mean, I'm already set on Ex Pro (just trying to find the right deal, as it's not that easy buying that stuff from Serbia), but I didn't expect that the deflection is really that low. I mean, I've played with WX700 for about a week or two, and the deflection is definitely greater than that of 314-2 (disregarding the feel at the moment), so I figured Ex Pro probably lacks behind Revo a bit in that department (which would be ok with me, as I'm getting the Ex Pro because of the increased hit and feel compared to Predator LD shafts). Thanks for the comparison!

I will elaborate a little more on this comparison. When playing soft to medium shots ex pro has almost zero deflection which is slightly lower than revo. On the other hand when playing some harder shots deflection rises with ex pro,revo on the other hand has similar deflection both on soft and hard shots. So with hard shots revo has slightly less deflection than ex pro. Nevertheless the feel of ex pro beats revo every day of the week. As for the power transfer they are about equally great. You will like ex pro,trust me:thumbup:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

I was a loyal Mezz Ex Pro user until I played with a Vantage shaft. If I had to throw in my 2 cents, I think as far as deflection goes, their two best shafts, performance wise, are the WX900 (lowest), then the HP2, and then the WX700. The Ex Pro, as mentioned, has ridiculously low cueball deflection at low and medium speeds. At higher speeds, it throws more. The WX shafts don’t have this same variance. I also found the HP2 to be a better shaft than the Ex Pro, at least for me. The Ex Pro is a quality shaft. But I put it between the HP2 and the Alpha Hybrid in terms of reducing cueball deflection. If you don’t mind a little throw at higher speeds, it’s a fantastic shaft. If you like moving the ball around the table with minimal effort, play the WXs.