Best case interior for linen

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have e some vintage cues with very nice linen wraps.

Which case interior is the best for this?

The Ultrapad is terrible for linen. I would love a satin JB-style interior. I also love the look of the Prolite but have heard very mixed feedback.

Who uses Cortland-wrapped cues successfully with a nice case? Please offer your thoughts. I wasted Cueaddict's time blathering at him already. Figured I would share the wealth.

Edit: I'll clarify. I want a daily carrier that will not wear out a Cortland wrap that is pressed properly. Any of the rougher interiors make the wrap pill up.

I would also like a premium 3x6-ish case.

Who makes such a thing?

I'll look into Castillo interiors

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Case

Your marring the wrap when putting the cues into the top loading cases...? John and I conversed about the linen wraps marring... he swore the wraps was installed or pressed improperly... John does make a cue sock to put the cues in before sliding them into the ultrapad interior to protect the cue or for cues with rubber/grippy handles..
Maybe try the JB butterfly cases..?

Rob.M

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I have e some vintage cues with very nice linen wraps.

Which case interior is the best for this?

The Ultrapad is terrible for linen. I would love a satin JB-style interior. I also love the look of the Prolite but have heard very mixed feedback.

Who uses Cortland-wrapped cues successfully with a nice case? Please offer your thoughts. I wasted Cueaddict's time blathering at him already. Figured I would share the wealth.

If you're using the cases for storage, cases using tubes covered in material similar to biliard cloth would be the safest option imo. ie: Older Justis, etc...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellini, Engles, Thomas, Centennial, George, etc....hard to argue with those IMHO.

It is no accident that the best cues are often found in such cases IMHO.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

That has more to do with when those cues lived and what was available than a "what's good for you" scenario... That said I think Id' is overthinking a bit. Many style cases would be just fine.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Castillo butterfly case or a nice butterfly for taking cues around to show off or sell cues.
Not for storage cases but taking around to the pool hall.
Jack Justis pro lite is perfect for that application.
Good tubes like Fellini-Centennial-George-Thomas

Any high quality case that is made so the cues go in & out easily without rubbing or cramming.
The ultimate protective interior is not for every application

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That has more to do with when those cues lived and what was available than a "what's good for you" scenario... That said I think Id' is overthinking a bit. Many style cases would be just fine.

Yes, many styles of case would be just fine.

In terms of protecting the cue, it is a hard tube. And they store compactly.

That type of case is still my favorite for my best cues.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'll clarify. I want a daily carrier that will not wear out a Cortland wrap that is pressed properly. Any of the rougher interiors make the wrap pill up.

I would also like a premium 3x6-ish case.

Who makes such a thing?

I'll look into Castillo interiors

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you looked at the Mezz softcases?
I think it's called MZ35, holds 3 butts and 5 shafts with extra pockets for your chalk and stuff.
Very robust case and good protection, but without the problems some cues can have with the ultrapad interior.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whitten would be my top choice

I second the choice. My daily case for the past 5-6 years is a Whitten 3x6 and I used a Whitten 2x4 as my active case for 20 years prior to that. All of my cues have linen wraps and none have been damaged in those cases.

I also own a $100 PoS 3x6 hard case that frayed the linen on a cue that I hardly ever use. The case was intended as cheap storage, but was a mistake even for that. So, I agree that you should be concerned.

Whitten 3x6 cases show up occasionally in the W/FS section for good prices. That was how I bought mine. Newer cases are a bit lighter. But as much weight as I add with three cues and other pool-related stuff, I can deal with the extra pound or so of the older configuration. .

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB 2x5 interiors are great once broken in! When new, the material does grab onto linen a little and I did notice a slight difference in my wrap but one that has been used a while loses that and it eventually works great on linen. If you give one a couple months of regular use you’ll find the linen wrap cues slide in with much less grab from the material.

You may not want to put in the time to wear one in or subject your cortland to the process (though real, it was super minor and a little hand burnishing and playing and it’s back to normal) but just wanted to mention it.

I’ve worn on at least three interiors, 2 JB Ruggeds and my Fields case with JB interior and all got better with a little use.

I would suggest the 2x5 though as it has a little more room for the butts than the 3x6 and 4x8 which have tighter center positioned butt sleeves rather than the slightly roomier end ones.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time I won a cue and the case that came with it was one of those hard cases with two latches that flips open long ways. The interior was some kind of groovy fur but I can not imagine anything softer though. I'm guessin it was from the 's but it did offer great protection and like I said had to be the softest interior ever and I'm certain it would not do anything to your wrap. It was just dorky enough to be kinda cool. I carried it around for a month or two until it all sold, and of course that's another cue I wish I had held onto lol.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
I have a 3x6 Whitten and a 3x6 Justis case, they are both great cases and you wouldn't be wrong with either for your cue, plus they look cool.
Whitten cases are tougher, the old ones you could drive a tank over lol. A Justis case would great with the Cortland wrap and they protect the rest of the cue just fine, many BIG cues have been carried in a Justis. That being said my choice is a Rusty Melton 3x6.
Keep and eye out for a used Whitten or Justis 3x6, buy it and try it out if you don't like you can flip it and try another.
Good luck.
Stan

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'll add to those who prefer Whitten, as I do too. The way they're made, nothing gets pressed against the linen. Just don't accidentally turn the case upside down while open, with cues inside.

I also like Justis, as the butt is not pressed hard, as well as some of those mentioned above, like Fellini. I also have a 1X2 OnQ case that is perfect as well. Understand you want 3X6, but if Garth is still making OnQ cases, he has tremendous skill and flexibility in doing what the customer wants.

All the best,
WW

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellini, Engles, Thomas, Centennial, George, etc....hard to argue with those IMHO.

Agreed.

@Pat - My Hagan was wrapped (linen) by BCM years ago and it's still the smoothest wrap I've ever felt... and has stayed that way. I use a Ron Thomas 2x4. My other case is custom made and re-lined by myself with a bolt of some type of green cotton fabric. Wish I remember the type. Haven't had any issues there either. Chopdoc's options i'd say are the best choice... Hell even a cheap Porper won't damage your wrap. Very surprised to hear anything bad about the JB Ultrapad.

A Castillo i used to own had a nice sheep wool fluffy interior, but build quality is better elsewhere. I don't know what Volturi is like inside, but if you can stomach being in the vicinity of one without immediately triggering a gag reflex, then that might be an option for you as well.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would cut away the shaft compartments from one of those plastic 1x2 shipping sleeves, put the butt in there, and keep my current case.