The One Ball Into the Side Pocket? Really?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do the pros think that driving the One ball into the side pocket is the best they can do in 9 ball? Seems to me, the CB goes off to unknown territory, the one ball only goes in about 1/3rd of a time, the CB gets hooked by some off known table location.. Just amazing to me. I'm just an A player but isn't there a way to get the wing ball to go into the corner pocket and the one ball up near the opposite corner pocket from where we broke from. Surely, there is a spot where every table will pocket the wing ball into the corner time after time with a location between the 2X and 1Y spot and the side rail. Here is a video of me running a rack of nine ball. I have learned how to hit the rack where the wing ball goes in on my table and it depends on humidity. I hit the rack softly where the one ball is heading toward the corner pocket. If I hit it too hard, it will go up against the end rail so that is the judgement of how hard to hit the rack. I failed to keep the CB into the middle on this break but it's still usable.
I'm not even good but I can pocket the wing ball time after time into my corner pocket and sometimes I can continue, why don't the pros do this?
Remember; this is not about me (I suck) but why don't the pros break this way?

Last edited:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you racking the one on the spot or the 9? I believe they're playing the one in the side cut break with the 9 on the spot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm not even good but I can pocket the wing ball time after time into my corner pocket and sometimes I can continue, why don't the pros do this?
Remember; this is not about me (I suck) but why don't the pros break this way?
Are you racking the nine (rather than the one) on the spot and playing by the 3-point rule?

And to answer your question, sort of, the pros do break the wing ball in when the shot is available. Here you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYVeL5wPkI Pay very, very special attention to the break at 11:30 and the subsequent runout. Well, it's not exactly a runout, but that's the point.

There are many, many other examples of wing-ball breaking.

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Your tripod has Parkinson syndrome, or you shot the entire video during an earthquake.. I don't know why the video is this shaky but it is unwatchable.

2) All the tournaments I know of in Europe (can't speak for the US) have the 3 ball rule. Breaking like you did in the video is considered as dry break so your opponent would come of his seat and would continue with the rack. So why they don't break that way? Because they want to stay at the table and not open all the balls and gift their opponent the rack.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you racking the one on the spot or the 9? I believe they're playing the one in the side cut break with the 9 on the spot

Well, just found out the one ball was on the spot during the Mosconi Cup.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, there you go. I did not know that knowledge. I break with the one on the spot. So, the whole Mosconi Cup was with the 9 on the spot? If so, Shame on me! Dammit, I am an idiot. I just knew the pros were smarter than me....:rolleyes::p Sorry!
The video I referred to has the one on the spot. After you watch Corey's run at 11:30, watch his run at 18:18. Tell me what you think.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
1) Your tripod has Parkinson syndrome, or you shot the entire video during an earthquake.. I don't know why the video is this shaky but it is unwatchable.

2) All the tournaments I know of in Europe (can't speak for the US) have the 3 ball rule. Breaking like you did in the video is considered as dry break so your opponent would come of his seat and would continue with the rack. So why they don't break that way? Because they want to stay at the table and not open all the balls and gift their opponent the rack.

Yes, my focus control was vibrating so I took it down. But the break was with the one ball at the spot as they did on the Mosconi Cup (I was just informed).

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
The video I referred to has the one on the spot. After you watch Corey's run at 11:30, watch his run at 18:18. Tell me what you think.

I love it. Just a little easier and into the side pocket.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I dunno why the pros do what they do. I, a rank amateur, break with the cueball close to the right hand rail with draw, aiming at the 1B, which is on the spot. I make the 1B into the side about 40% of the time.

I play for this because it's about the most controllable shot I can take from that position.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I dunno why the pros do what they do. I, a rank amateur, break with the cueball close to the right hand rail with draw, aiming at the 1B, which is on the spot. I make the 1B into the side about 40% of the time.

I play for this because it's about the most controllable shot I can take from that position.

I know what you mean. With the one on the spot, there is almost a position where the wing ball can be made into the corner, with draw or a stop shot +6 inches or so to stop the CB. But, with the 9 on the spot, I am unfamiliar with it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No doubt about it. I am sorry I posted this as I did not know the breaking information for the Mosconi Cup.

In the 2017 Mosconi Cup:

• The 1-ball was racked on the foot spot. That was a change after quite a few years with the 9-ball on the spot.

• The 1-ball was pocketed in the side pocket on the opposite side from the breaker on 40% (46 of 115) of the breaks.

• The wing ball on the same side of the table as the breaker was pocketed in the nearest corner pocket on 63% of the breaks (72 of 115).

Last edited:

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
If the 1 ball is on the spot, I try to make the cornerball and not make the 1ball - rather play for position to have a first shot after the break to make it in the corner where I break from. However, the break can't be too soft - in order to comply with the 3-point rule

If the 9 is on the spot, I try to make the 1-ball in the side and comply with the 3-point rule. On this break, there is also some room for trying to play position on the 2-ball, but the outcome can be very unpredictable

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
In the 2017 Mosconi Cup:

• The 1-ball was racked on the foot spot. That was a change after quite a few years with the 9-ball on the spot.

• The 1-ball was pocketed in the side pocket on the opposite side from the breaker on 40% (46 of 115) of the breaks.

• The wing ball on the same side of the table as the breaker was pocketed in the nearest corner pocket on 63% of the breaks (72 of 115).

So.... the one ball was on the spot for the 2017 Mosconi Cup. Was hard to tell from the matches I watched. Still, breaking with the wing ball going into the corner makes sense.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

They are saying the one ball was on the spot at the Mosconi Cup.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the 1 ball is on the spot, I try to make the cornerball and not make the 1ball - rather play for position to have a first shot after the break to make it in the corner where I break from. However, the break can't be too soft - in order to comply with the 3-point rule

If the 9 is on the spot, I try to make the 1-ball in the side and comply with the 3-point rule. On this break, there is also some room for trying to play position on the 2-ball, but the outcome can be very unpredictable

Agreed. Especially if it is not rack your own because you have no control of the 2 ball. I would rather not make the one and have a shot on the 1 after making the wing ball. My break, when I am breaking well, leaves the 1 near the lower left pocket.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Especially if it is not rack your own because you have no control of the 2 ball. I would rather not make the one and have a shot on the 1 after making the wing ball. My break, when I am breaking well, leaves the 1 near the lower left pocket.

Upper! You break for the table's head, not foot!!

(A pet peeve of mine:sorry:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know what you mean. With the one on the spot, there is almost a position where the wing ball can be made into the corner, with draw or a stop shot +6 inches or so to stop the CB. But, with the 9 on the spot, I am unfamiliar with it.

Have you had a chance to look at the videos I posted links of?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Upper! You break for the table's head, not foot!!

(A pet peeve of mine:sorry:)
Not clear whether you meant to type "from" or "for" there. At pool, the short rail at the rack end is the foot rail. The short rail where you break from is the head rail.

It's different for snooker.