Ruxton Billiards?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this company? Ever buy or play on one of their tables? I did a search on AZ and got zero. I also searched Wisconsin Craigslist and got zero.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why buy a table from a company no body heard of, unless its a 100 dollar banger table for the kids to ruin.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why buy a table from a company no body heard of, unless its a 100 dollar banger table for the kids to ruin.

Great, I type slow, so now I can waste the next ten minutes of my life replying to your asinine post. Ruxton claims to make a good one piece table, shipped direct to consumer. He claims table is designed well, easily assembled, 7' or 8'. I live in the sticks, very limited local options. No way I will buy a POS and put up with the headaches. I am not willing to spend the coin for a GC V or a Diamond. If Ruxton makes a high quality, one piece slate, well engineered table, I am considering buying one. Looking for third party verification of these claims, or people that know these claims are bogus. Not looking for stupid ass, swinging dick replies like yours.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this company? Ever buy or play on one of their tables? I did a search on AZ and got zero. I also searched Wisconsin Craigslist and got zero.
Just checked out their website - very interesting. The guy (owner I assume) offers a lot of his opinions, some of which I don't agree with, particularly regarding his stated advantages of 1-piece slate tables. With the exception coin-op 7-foot 1-piece slate tables, having 1-piece 1" thick slate for an 8-foot or 9-foot table are a nightmare if you ever have to move them, or sell them.

Their table prices are not cheap either. I think you'd get alot more table for your money if you search for a good used table, although it may take you some time and work to find one. I would inquire what kind of cushion rubbers they use on their tables? That will tell you a lot about the quality of their components, if they skimp to save a few bucks by using cheaper gum rubber cushions - which is one of the most critical components on a pool table. Good luck!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If it's Rick Ruxton, I might know em. Ask em where he grew up, if he said Glen Ellyn then pm me back. He might of been my neighbor in 50's60's.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, according to his website, his name is Rick Ruxton. I have not talked to him yet. I was hoping to get some info from users of his table before going any further. He builds and ships from Janesville Wisconsin area.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Asking who makes the cushions they use is a good idea.

The rails don't bolt down through the slate, they bolt to the wood frame around the slate as the slate sits inside a cabinet kind of like a bar table. I worked for a company that built pool tables just like these, way back in 1983. One problem with that design is sound effects banking balls off the rails, not a real big deal to some. Another problem is if the frame of the table ends up being swayback end to end, trying to shim the center of the slate up to level creates a problem with the rails. As the rails on sit on the very edge of the slate, the main foot print of the rail is bolted down to the wood sub-frame around the edge of the slate which is flat to the surface of the slate. So, if you shim the slate up for level, that brings the slate up higher than the wood sub-straight, which in turn raises the cushion nose height because it's still stiing on the outside edge of the slate by about 1/2" so then the rails can no longer maintain being bolted flat to the wood sub-straight since the slate is then higher than that flat surface. Manufacturers of tables of this design are not planning on leveling the slate inside the cabinets, they're relying on all the leveling to be done with the 4 legs alone.