why everyone should learn one pocket

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure when I first became a one pocket player. Was it when I first started playing it in my 20s? Or when I was in my 30s and I finally finished that game...

(in before one pocket is so slow trolls :) )

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure when I first became a one pocket player. Was it when I first started playing it in my 20s? Or when I was in my 30s and I finally finished that game...

(in before one pocket is so slow trolls :) )
We have come to expect such we see that shot quickly

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game

I had several players I could have really learned from but I was too stupid till I hit 40. After 21 years I’ve learned a ton and play OK. The only other great game is 3C but I can’t play a lick

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had several players I could have really learned from but I was too stupid till I hit 40. After 21 years I’ve learned a ton and play OK. The only other great game is 3C but I can’t play a lick

Ha Tom Tom is a friend of mine he was older we played bar box 9 ball then go play tennis which he beat me at both lol wasn't interested in one pocket , got his book now lol

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I consider myself a beginner/student...gradually improving and happy to say it renewed my love/interest in pool. Playing 1P does not get old just gets better
It is a game in a game. Play the opponent not the table. The various aspects...early, mid, end. The cat and mouse. The trap. Return a trap. Bank/kick/carom...look,play for a runout...not one and done. The shot that turns the game around. The concentration and patience.
To play a stronger player and lose is to win... keep playing...keep learning. Play for a few hours the time flies. Play lousy today..come back and play better tomorrow. To describe OnePocket...I'd simply say an amazing and challenging game. It's adrenaline.
Mr. Controlled Aggression Tom has been working with me. The learning process is a great experience. Why everyone should learn one pocket...it's different. It's creative. That corner pocket brings a lot of joy (and pain).

I'm currently playing with a really good 9ball shooter. He's using 1P to help his 9ball game.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark...You should do yourself a favor and take a one pocket lesson from Bossman69 (Lance Cowles). Lance is a great player, and even better one pocket instructor! He has a way of demonstrating the subtle nuances of one pocket that few possess, plus excellent communication skills. He'll be with me at the DCC, and then again at the SBE. You could likely catch a couple hours with him there. I guarantee you'll love it...or I'll pay for the lesson! LOL

Same goes for you Frank. I know you love working with Tom, who is great.Can't hurt to get perhaps a little different perspective from a newer set of eyes! Lance is the real deal. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Same goes for you Frank. I know you love working with Tom, who is great.Can't hurt to get perhaps a little different perspective from a newer set of eyes! Lance is the real deal. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

First things first... Thank you for helping me hit better/correctly. Your SPF teachings are working out just fine. Tom will not work with students that can't hit decent so that compliments you. The same way you worked with me I would not seek a different stroke instructor...I swear by you. Same with Tom.....but it would be nice to meet Lance sometime. Will miss you at SBE as I'll still be in Florida. Happy New Year. Hope you're busy and doing well.

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the biggest assets of one pocket that carries over to all other games is the fact that you work so hard to work a shot out of your opponents, sometimes many innings go by before you finally get to shoot at something. When that shot finally appears you force yourself to apply all of your skills to make it work. You take your time, you concentrate, you focus, and plan your position for the next few balls. You try to be precise in all you do.

All of these things are what you should be doing in all of your other games, be it nine ball, eight ball, straight pool or what have you. One pocket will make you a better player. When the opportunity shows itself you don't want to squander it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mark...You should do yourself a favor and take a one pocket lesson from Bossman69 (Lance Cowles). Lance is a great player, and even better one pocket instructor! He has a way of demonstrating the subtle nuances of one pocket that few possess, plus excellent communication skills. He'll be with me at the DCC, and then again at the SBE. You could likely catch a couple hours with him there. I guarantee you'll love it...or I'll pay for the lesson! LOL

Scott Lee

i took a lesson from lance and learned alot of onepocket
definitely would recomend him for 1p

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And another helpful aspect of 1p...many times the manner a particular shot is taken is dictated by the layout, meaning there is a specific strike point, speed and leave that one has to go for.

That is different from many other games, where there are usually many ways to play a turn.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had no choice.

I moved to St. Louis and it was all anyone would play. IOWs, I spent years paying for "lessons" from just about everyone in town. Eventually I enjoyed a ROI but it took a while. To the larger point, yes, you can use 1pocket stuff at other games and it can be quite handy.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
onepocket makes you think more than other games
as you get older using your mind is a good thing...:thumbup:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Oh yeah. Well better late than never. It's a well rounded game of skill.

moose man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket is the goddamned Rolls Royce of pool games. That's what it is. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. ;)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lots of good replys here , one thing left out is once you got the bug the game that looks so boring becomes very interesting to watch when you know what your looking at or for

unlike other games where everything is pretty obvious there are so many choices the player has , its fun to sit back and try to figure out the next shot especially with a guy like T Rex who will go for the imagination shots to pocket balls or a lock down safe

The bottom line for me is while putting almost all my time in one pocket I had a pretty good run of nice finishes in tourney play in fact best in decades and I wasn't even playing those games at all only when I entered them

I credit it all to playing and watching this great game