Who Really is the BEST Pool Hustler in the Country?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane plays well, but slow in this video....does he always play this slowly? .....and the music is like being in a really fast elevator. ;)

The second rack, which was his first, he averaged about 9.5 sec. per shot. Next rack, he took about a minute studying the rack, then averaged 13 sec. per shot.

That's considered slow to you?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
someone actually timed it.....I was being facetious. :shrug:

The second rack, which was his first, he averaged about 9.5 sec. per shot. Next rack, he took about a minute studying the rack, then averaged 13 sec. per shot.

That's considered slow to you?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Shane plays well, but slow in this video....does he always play this slowly? .....and the music is like being in a really fast elevator. ;)

Hehe, the mic placement is probably not the best, there were some odd noises too. When I watched this stream live, it was what really sold me on how good Van Boening really is. Sure he'd won tournaments and matches (lots of them) before this but in this game he displayed his talents better than ever before. Slow start and then total beastiality throughout. One of the most brutal beatings ever recorded between two top players. What struck me is how much his game resembled Stricklands in all the right ways. I pity the fools that think they are going to rob this guy.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ...I find it interesting that Neil called you out, and you said nothing. I reiterated what Neil said and you personally attack me from all four corners. Seems uncalled for, since I only repeated what SJD and several others had already posted. But whatever...you are who you are! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
probably my favorite!

Here's another old time hustler from right here in Ft. Worth Texas......UJ Puckett was his name and pool is his game. Click here to see the 60 Minutes Interview and one of the most classic hustlers.

Not sure why, I always feel a strong connection to UJ. A true hustler, a scalawag, no end of not quite likeable qualities, also had a great personality, loved to fish, and was a true tusk hog! He doesn't let a little thing like being dead keep him out of his favorite place to play pool either!

Hu

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
The internet all but killed the "road players" and 90% of any big money games are prearranged now via the internet. Every pool room you hit now someone is on google trying to find out who you are. So the person that can keep a low profile and his picture off the internet has the best odds. :(

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Strong Arm didn't book many losers from what I can remember. I hear stories about him often, and have a few from the 90's when I just hung around and watched.

Little pool hall called conleys in the town I lived in used to get a visit from him now and then, along with about everyone else for a few years.

Of course I've quit paying any attention to such things, hardly play anymore.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best hustler is Kirkwood he travels around to big league events
and hops on small money tables and cleans up then catches a few bigger sets as well
it really works well for him yr after yr

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not sure why, I always feel a strong connection to UJ. A true hustler, a scalawag, no end of not quite likeable qualities, also had a great personality, loved to fish, and was a true tusk hog! He doesn't let a little thing like being dead keep him out of his favorite place to play pool either!

Hu

My favorite picture of UJ comes to mind.....
...he's reading a newspaper in a pool hall and says...
"Richard Nixon, president of the United States of America....
....and can't hit the end rail."

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll bet you had Doug Smith coming by once in awhile too. I was on the road with him when I was still in high school - an amazing bar table player once upon a time.

Strong Arm didn't book many losers from what I can remember. I hear stories about him often, and have a few from the 90's when I just hung around and watched.

Little pool hall called conleys in the town I lived in used to get a visit from him now and then, along with about everyone else for a few years.

Of course I've quit paying any attention to such things, hardly play anymore.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ, if youre currently under contract with a reality tv show, then there was probably a pilot series filmed and sold to a network first. (Otherwise there would be no need for a contract)

ESPN doesn't do reality TV so I'm curious, what network purchased the show, what's it about, and when will we see it?

Certain things will probably fall under the nondisclosure, but there are usually no restrictions on mentioning the network or the subject of the show.

Also, are you really restricted from appearing on anyone else's video production, or are you just hoping to get paid for an appearance? If you are actually restricted then they screwed you pretty good.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your concern for me and my contractual situation.

I'm not restricted from all video production, they already agreed to give me a release to do something with a top, female player.... I appreciate your concern for me and my legal contracts (bff);). .

I'll send the Producer an email asking him to post on azbilliards.

CJ, if youre currently under contract with a reality tv show, then there was probably a pilot series filmed and sold to a network first. (Otherwise there would be no need for a contract)

ESPN doesn't do reality TV so I'm curious, what network purchased the show, what's it about, and when will we see it?

Certain things will probably fall under the nondisclosure, but there are usually no restrictions on mentioning the network or the subject of the show.

Also, are you really restricted from appearing on anyone else's video production, or are you just hoping to get paid for an appearance? If you are actually restricted then they screwed you pretty good.