Thief in Cape Girardeau Mo.

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I left New Orleans after Buffalo's tournament this last weekend, hung out an extra couple days, I wake up this morning and drive about 9 hours and stop in Jr's place in Cape.
A friend of mine has been trying to set up a game with a player from Ohio that is stuck in Cape. I thought I would stop and give him some cheap action, I arrive and the owner Jamie Dodd calls the guy up and says he will be there in about an hour or less.

The players name is Branden Williams, supposed to be a real good player. He gets there and I asked him if we ever met, he says we played 2 games of 1 pocket at Michaels in Fairfield Ohio, I told him I don't remember and I asked how we came out. He said he won 2 games, both were 8-7. I have been to Michaels 1 time and I had a strong stakehorse, I remember I lost a set for $3k and played a couple of cheap games, this guy could have been one of them.

So back to the game tonight, We agreed to play a race to 11, 10 ball for $200. We put $400 on the light. I win the 1st set 11-6 and he pays me. Now he wants to shorten the race to 9, so I am up 7-3 and I am racking, while I am getting the balls racked, we are using the Magic Rack he leans over to me and says he will be right back, I think he is going to the restroom or whatever.

After about 30 seconds a spectator comes over to me and said while talking to me he reached up with his right hand and grabbed the $$$$ off the light, he is about 6'3 or so, he is tall. I looked up and the $$ was gone. The guy took off with the money, if I se it he don't get far, but I was getting the ball to sit up in the rack.

I get the owner and he calls the guy, the guy answers the phone and tells him I owed him $400 from the past, I don't even know him, 15 minutes later he posts on facebook that he did it because I owe him $400, lol, he never mentioned this to me before we started, he blantantly took the $$$ and ran. Jamie Dodd is the owner of the establishment, it is called Jr's place.

I have known Jamie for 30 years and know way would he let this happen, he reimbursed me $200 which was very nice of him, he barred the guy for life, Branden Williams is from Ohio and is currently stuck in Cape Girardeau Mo. He was arrested and charged with robbing Coinstar machines in the area and from what I hear he can't leave the county for 5 years. Now I put this to my friends on facebook, he sent me a private message threatening me if I continue to tell what happened, I do owe a few friends that have helped me in the past, I don't even know this thieving creep, warn anyone you know about this guy. Never had this move put on me, pretty brutal. Gary Lutman St Louis Mo.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, to hear this, kudos to Jamie the owner for giving you the $200.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Every scumbag has a story to justify their misdeeds. It sounds like you had the best of it so he ran for the hills.

You got robbed, and the owner reimbursed you and banned him. Pretty classy move.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I left New Orleans after Buffalo's tournament this last weekend, hung out an extra couple days, I wake up this morning and drive about 9 hours and stop in Jr's place in Cape.
A friend of mine has been trying to set up a game with a player from Ohio that is stuck in Cape. I thought I would stop and give him some cheap action, I arrive and the owner Jamie Dodd calls the guy up and says he will be there in about an hour or less.

The players name is Branden Williams, supposed to be a real good player. He gets there and I asked him if we ever met, he says we played 2 games of 1 pocket at Michaels in Fairfield Ohio, I told him I don't remember and I asked how we came out. He said he won 2 games, both were 8-7. I have been to Michaels 1 time and I had a strong stakehorse, I remember I lost a set for $3k and played a couple of cheap games, this guy could have been one of them.

So back to the game tonight, We agreed to play a race to 11, 10 ball for $200. We put $400 on the light. I win the 1st set 11-6 and he pays me. Now he wants to shorten the race to 9, so I am up 7-3 and I am racking, while I am getting the balls racked, we are using the Magic Rack he leans over to me and says he will be right back, I think he is going to the restroom or whatever.

After about 30 seconds a spectator comes over to me and said while talking to me he reached up with his right hand and grabbed the $$$$ off the light, he is about 6'3 or so, he is tall. I looked up and the $$ was gone. The guy took off with the money, if I se it he don't get far, but I was getting the ball to sit up in the rack.

I get the owner and he calls the guy, the guy answers the phone and tells him I owed him $400 from the past, I don't even know him, 15 minutes later he posts on facebook that he did it because I owe him $400, lol, he never mentioned this to me before we started, he blantantly took the $$$ and ran. Jamie Dodd is the owner of the establishment, it is called Jr's place.

I have known Jamie for 30 years and know way would he let this happen, he reimbursed me $200 which was very nice of him, he barred the guy for life, Branden Williams is from Ohio and is currently stuck in Cape Girardeau Mo. He was arrested and charged with robbing Coinstar machines in the area and from what I hear he can't leave the county for 5 years. Now I put this to my friends on facebook, he sent me a private message threatening me if I continue to tell what happened, I do owe a few friends that have helped me in the past, I don't even know this thieving creep, warn anyone you know about this guy. Never had this move put on me, pretty brutal. Gary Lutman St Louis Mo.

Wow what a guy sorry to hear that Gary

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
bad break. it is possible he remembers wrong and has you confused with someone else and was getting even.

in any case you were robbed and if gambling is legal there between two people the police could have been called and being a felon he wouldnt like the result.

the owner is the real stand up guy here.

but the thing to remember for all is if putting the money on the light you have to put it where it cant be gotten easily. best to put it up with the house man if you dont know your opponent well. and with strangers play only game by game.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not gambling. It was a single elimination tournament race to 9 with a $200 entry fee. Payout was 100% to first place.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Daulton (not Shannon:) did that to me in San. Francisco in 1970. About 6 years later in New Orleans, he gave it back, plus some. But this time the stake horse never saw it coming :D. Lone Wolf knows better, he's just gettin' older like the rest of the herd....as the hyenas begin nippng at your heals :thumbup:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Gary;

Sorry to hear of this move.

One question: What happened with this guy's cue? Did he abandon it?

I can imagine the guy leaning over to tell you he'll be right back while sneakily cleaning the cash from the light but if he walked off with his cue, that's harder to imagine.

I know you're a good guy with a good rep; however it went down, it stinks.

best,
brian kc

9balltrain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is JR,I own JR's Bar and Billiards the place where it happen. Once again I feel real bad that it happen and also embarrassed that it happen at my place even tho I had nothing to do with the game cept calling his stakehorse to tell him that Gary was here looking for action. I felt it was right to give Gary $200 of the money and also Bar the guy for life. Let me say this guy is not from here and No one from here would ever do anything like that so I don't want 1 bad apple that's not even a local to give all the other players a bad name. Ive known Gary a long time and consider him a friend and Hes always in action and Ive never seen him stiff anyone like this guy says he did.

9balltrain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary;

Sorry to hear of this move.

One question: What happened with this guy's cue? Did he abandon it?

I can imagine the guy leaning over to tell you he'll be right back while sneakily cleaning the cash from the light but if he walked off with his cue, that's harder to imagine.

I know you're a good guy with a good rep; however it went down, it stinks.

best,
brian kc

He didn't have a cue so he was playing with one of the local guys cue

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is possible he remembers wrong and has you confused with someone else and was getting even.

If that was the case this guy Branden Williams should have asked Gary a few questions and not just grab the money and run.

No, this is a clear case of absolute thievery.

Hope you get his ass.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope he gets a couple 22's behind the ear.

I am so sick of thieves. The older I get the less I can tolerate.

I have seen Gary gamble many times, he is a good winner and good loser.

Ken

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Here is a picture from a tournament played in Ohio, it shows a Brandon Williams and wanted to see if it's the same guy. The guy pictured looks like he's about 5'9" though and not 6'3" though, will do some more searching to see what I find.

Attachments

• gsbt-michaels-billiards-2-27.jpg
    gsbt-michaels-billiards-2-27.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 505

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is JR,I own JR's Bar and Billiards the place where it happen. Once again I feel real bad that it happen and also embarrassed that it happen at my place even tho I had nothing to do with the game cept calling his stakehorse to tell him that Gary was here looking for action. I felt it was right to give Gary $200 of the money and also Bar the guy for life. Let me say this guy is not from here and No one from here would ever do anything like that so I don't want 1 bad apple that's not even a local to give all the other players a bad name. Ive known Gary a long time and consider him a friend and Hes always in action and Ive never seen him stiff anyone like this guy says he did.

You should recommend he go down around Caruthersville or Hayti and try that stunt and see if he comes back.