playing pocket speed

Sooner or later it's inevitable; you must learn pocket speed. It's boring. It takes the fun out of the game, but it must be done.

Question is, how?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
For me, a D level player, I was hitting every shot with pretty much the same speed. I started practicing making shallow angle shots into the side pocket. If you're hitting too hard then the pocket rejects it.

A couple of seasons of straight pool also help develop a sense for slower speeds.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket speed doesn't matter much on a triple shimmed table. You either hit it right or you didn't.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A factor, of course, but that is not all.

Experience is everything.

If you walk up to a brand new table, that was made by some unknown manufacturer, how to do you know what pocket speed is? You don't. You hit a ball and see what happens. If you hit it hard and it doesn't work, you hit it softer.

The term pocket speed is as broad of a term as saying "Hit the ball well, so it goes in the pocket without rattling."

Edit-

I'd also like to add, that you questioned us, but you are trying to tell us we are wrong... THAT is what is wrong with these forums.

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Like everything in pool.....practice.

Roll out all 15 balls and have at it.

Just slow the stroke down. Don't swing.

Its that simple.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, a D level player, I was hitting every shot with pretty much the same speed. I started practicing making shallow angle shots into the side pocket. If you're hitting too hard then the pocket rejects it.

A couple of seasons of straight pool also help develop a sense for slower speeds.

Starting to play straight pool has helped me with this a lot. You just find a lot of shots where playing position requires shooting with nothing more than pocket speed.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Some years ago I realized that you hardly ever see a ball come up short of the pocket. So, during practice, I tried to hit softer and softer, to the point where the object ball would stop a little short of the pocket. That is how I learned "pocket speed".

Dave

If you walk up to a brand new table, that was made by some unknown manufacturer, how to do you know what pocket speed is? You don't. You hit a ball and see what happens. If you hit it hard and it doesn't work, you hit it softer.

The term pocket speed is as broad of a term as saying "Hit the ball well, so it goes in the pocket without rattling."

Edit-

I'd also like to add, that you questioned us, but you are trying to tell us we are wrong... THAT is what is wrong with these forums.

Lol. What?

I merely asked the question.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A fun drill that helps to learn speed control is taking all 15 balls and shooting all of them from one short rail to the other. Don't let any balls hit one another. Master this drill and you'll understand pocket speed.

A fun drill that helps to learn speed control is taking all 15 balls and shooting all of them from one short rail to the other. Don't let any balls hit one another. Master this drill and you'll understand pocket speed.

Playing pocket speed is NOT speed control. But i don't understand your drill? :confused:

liakos

Banned

Edit-

Somebody needs a nap!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, which is why you have to play pocket speed.

Ron, I play on double shimmed 80% of the time and I know what you mean about pocket speed. Dropping a slow ball that rattles into a triple or double shimmed pocket is somewhat lucky. Me, I'm a feel player and when I am on I can rifle balls into shimmed pockets. Personally if I had to think about pocket speed on every shot it would be classic paralysis through analysis. I think I have too much on my mind when I shoot now. LOL. But that's just me.

Some years ago I realized that you hardly ever see a ball come up short of the pocket. So, during practice, I tried to hit softer and softer, to the point where the object ball would stop a little short of the pocket. That is how I learned "pocket speed".

Dave

That is not playing pocket speed. You have to hit the ball with sufficient energy to a) make the ball and b) gain shape.

It is not about hitting the ball slowly. It is about hitting the ball correctly. This is crucial on tough tables.