• Yes the cyclops balls skid more

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • No they seem to play the same as the super aramith pro balls

Votes: 38 66.7%

• Total voters

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in the 9MOS and 8MOS and the only difference I could detect was the new colors and the balls "seemed" to stay cleaner.

Other than that , they played great. I almost bought a set for 150 the day I left but my bags were already packed up at the bellhop.

I heard they used the measles ball in the pro events because it was live streamed. Don't know if that's true, just what I heard.

Also cyclop will be coming out with a measles style cue ball in the near future, probably have 6 eyes , lol. Heard that directly from the diamond/cyclop rep.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
I find myself thinking when I first saw the change in balls at the BCA NATIONALS. Could this be the problem with the sport. If you took a vote right now, which balls should be the industry standard, I'm willing to bet that these set of balls would not get a lot of votes. And the aramith balls would be a overwhelming winner. We as a industry need to start making good decisions that unite the sport, and not always thinking about that it might work, and it might not. I find myself wondering if a lot of people in this industry are not thinking clearly. What was the pro's reaction to these balls ?, or how about the amateur's ? . Cuz we all know they are the 99.9 percent of the consumers who make up the industry.

The Pros used the Missile cue ball

poolfreek

Registered
Not a big deal. I do have a pretty thick skin when it comes to message boards.

I would agree that throw is a result of the surface of the ball. Dirty balls play much differently than clean ones, although the mass and material makeup could have a minor affect.

What is your opinion of the way different cue balls play? Myself and almost all other players I know think the red circle seems lighter and plays that way (i.e, easier to draw, etc.) even though the weight is supposed to be the same as an standard aramith non magnetic ball, and the measle ball plays differently as well in my opinion. I think this is more than a psychological aspect. I'm not comparing any of these cue balls to the magnetic ones because the obvious weight difference.

As far as the Cyclop cue ball, I have one now and will be playing with it side by side to see the differences. Still don't like it!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Not a big deal. I do have a pretty thick skin when it comes to message boards.

I would agree that throw is a result of the surface of the ball. Dirty balls play much differently than clean ones, although the mass and material makeup could have a minor affect.

What is your opinion of the way different cue balls play? Myself and almost all other players I know think the red circle seems lighter and plays that way (i.e, easier to draw, etc.) even though the weight is supposed to be the same as an standard aramith non magnetic ball, and the measle ball plays differently as well in my opinion. I think this is more than a psychological aspect. I'm not comparing any of these cue balls to the magnetic ones because the obvious weight difference.

As far as the Cyclop cue ball, I have one now and will be playing with it side by side to see the differences. Still don't like it!

There's definitely one more factor besides weight that will affect how far the cue ball rolls,
what they call the COR I guess. I think of it as the ball's "bounciness".

Though two different cue balls feel hard as rock to the touch, one might be slightly more elastic than the other.
It was a real eye opener to me, to see just how spongy a seemingly rock-hard object can be.
http://www.gifcrap.com/g2data/albums/Misc/Slow motion golf ball.gif

So the bouncier ball with higher COR keeps more energy.
Think it's definitely possible that a heavier ball may come off the rails with more speed
and travel further than a similar cue ball that's lighter but less bouncy.

My feeling is this mostly determines how far the balls go, and not what direction they go.
I'd be curious if Dr. Dave has tested or will test whether COR can cause balls to undercut slightly
and simulate extra throw or a skid.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
measel ball

I think the measel ball collects a ton of chalk. When I watched the TAR match between Orcollo and SVB, I saw Orcollo constantly wiping of the "measel ball" and then they cleaned the set of balls i think 2 or 3 times during each match.

Maybe players should be more concerned with making sure the cue ball is clean and making sure the other balls are clean before a match instead of blaiming the set of balls after the match.

Change is hard but it is inevitable.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
We used the cyclop balls on the Accu-Stats TV table at derby.... Almost every miss is recorded for instant replay and if it was caused by a skid we show it in slow motion... Over the course of the entire derby I caught 3... Only 3 misses that were skid induced... I think in the straight pool "make it happen" event I had 5 for Oliver Ortman in 4 matches using the Aramiths..... There may have been only 4 but several of Oliver's runs were stopped by skids...

Chris

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the science guys have concluded that the most probable explanation for skid is chalk on the CB and/or OB.

In my experience several things can affect that, like the use of high adhesion chalk, dirty balls, dirty cloth, and believe it or not: dirty pockets. And the longer you play with one, some, or all dem conditions, you increase the odds of getting chalk on the balls and eventually have a chalk mark at the contact point on a shot. A softer CB surface, or older/more scuffed up CB isn't likely to help either.

Lou Figueroa