Mosconi cup for dummies

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the advent of new Pseudo Mosconi Cup rip offs how long will it be before players who participate in these bargain basement events start to find their names slipping off the Matchroom rosters.

Rodney's is a direct response to players who feel aggrieved at not being selected for the bona fide Mosconi Cup. So this will be USA Rejects against the Eurorejects. Not too many problems with that but it is kinda disrespectful towards Matchroom (who have taken care of the rejects Christmas bills for many years in the past).

I also disrespects Mark Wilson who leads a concept team that has existed as representatives of USA POOL for 22 years.

How do the European contingent feel about that and would they really want to trade that for a place on Matchroom events. Not too many worries for the USA players because most of them are past selection now. But for Daryl, Jason, Mika , Ralf and Thorsten they could be trading so much for so little.

The Kings Cup is slightly different. The target audience is so vague - A Western Hotchpotch against an Eastern Mishmash. How can you identify with that?

It is disappointing that again for a handful of Silver the likes of Darren and Albin have not realised that what they are competing in will take pool down a bad road by devaluing things that are currently held in high esteem.
It happened before with the World 9 Ball Championship, It attracted over one million dollars in sponsorship when it was played in Cardiff and this increased when it went to Taipei and again in Kaohsuing. By the time it reached Manila this was up to 1.4 million.

But then came the cheapskate versions that drove it down to $200,000 and that they could barely pay. Matchroom washed their hands of it. Now it has had a long tenure in Qatar for barely a third of what it commanded at it's peak.

The other alleged Supermatch - the USA versus Asia ROTFLMAO. Somebody in America is a glutton for punishment. Life beats you down to the ground, when you try to get up Life beats you back down.

Will it be Ko, Ko, Chang, Cheng, Chang versus SVB, SVB, SVB, SVB and SVB

This could be th beginning of the end and it is all because of pro pool players lack the ability to recognise what the game needs is not quick fixes but loyalty and committment to what already works.

Banks

Banned
I agree with much of what you say, with the exception of anything really working. Most events spring out of nowhere and hope to make money, then fade away. There's no steady income, nothing for players to stay loyal to - unless you're one of the very, very few. As for CW trying to pee on and claim things.. he's always shown he's willing to step all over pool to make a dime.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a rip off at all. I bought Mosconi's cup and it really holds the nuts! Especially when someone breaks before I have a chance to move out of the way.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
The King's Cup won't even reach a 3rd edition, that's my prediction.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know about the King's Cup, but what's "Rodney's" that you mention?

From Rodney's Facebook page:

Alright I'm gonna do an event called the Missconi Cup. Just like the Mosconi Cup but with the five Europeans and the five Americans that miss getting on the Mosconi lol........the teams are Me, Oscar Dominguez, Dennis Hatch, Johnny Archer, and Earl Strickland for usa, and Mika Immonen, Thorsten Hohmann, Ralf Souquet, Daryl Peach, and Jayson Shaw for Europe. Dates will be announced, as soon as we get sponsors for this. Lmao

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I see. Sounds like it's just a joke though.

Someone gets it.

So in golf, should players not go to the PGA Championship cause it is not a USGA event or vice versa? Should Tiger and Rory not go to Saudi Arabia each year cause it's not part of their tour?

Your premise that it devalues any event is off kilter. What pool needs is exposure and get t where ever and when ever it can. As long as it is legitimate events, I am all for it.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
From Rodney's Facebook page:

Alright I'm gonna do an event called the Missconi Cup. Just like the Mosconi Cup but with the five Europeans and the five Americans that miss getting on the Mosconi lol........the teams are Me, Oscar Dominguez, Dennis Hatch, Johnny Archer, and Earl Strickland for usa, and Mika Immonen, Thorsten Hohmann, Ralf Souquet, Daryl Peach, and Jayson Shaw for Europe. Dates will be announced, as soon as we get sponsors for this. Lmao

I actually wouldn't mind watching that. Lots of star power there. Too bad I already got my ticket for the Mosconi Cup :frown: