Suggest Using FargoRate for Picking US Mosconi Cup Team

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
I suggest starting next year, that one week after the U.S. Open, whatever the top 5 U.S. Players are on Fargorate are automatically made the Mosconi Team for USA. This way we always have the best possible field every year.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Strongly opposed. Fargo Rate, while a step in the right direction, is not nearly reliable enough to use for this purpose.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Fargorate was used this year, the team would, I think, be:

SVB
Bergman
Dechaine
Rodney
Johnny

Not our best 5, imo.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member

SVB
Bergman
Dechaine
Rodney
Johnny

Not our best 5, imo.

We also don't know for sure if they included the final days matches yet... which is why i suggested waiting for 7 days after the end of US Open per year.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member

SVB
Bergman
Dechaine
Rodney
Johnny

Not our best 5, imo.

And I didnt suggest using it this year because they are going by Mosconi points, and as said before system is new. I bet you next year by 1 week after US Open that FargoRate will have been well established and that its top 5 USA will be extremely accurate.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Strongly opposed. Fargo Rate, while a step in the right direction, is not nearly reliable enough to use for this purpose.

Totally agree with this.
Plus, what effect would that have on the points tournaments that are actually listed for the calendar year?

Or if someone is rated high in Fargo, they could theoretically just not play in that many events, and still be chosen simply because it would take a while for their numbers to go down (if I am not mistaken) instead of using the current points tournaments to determine how well they are performing at the time.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the idea of 3 picks being objective, and 2 subjective.

As far as using Fargorate for the 3 picks, I think it could work well. The only reservation I have is for players who (intentionally or not) babysit their rating.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest starting next year, that one week after the U.S. Open, whatever the top 5 U.S. Players are on Fargorate are automatically made the Mosconi Team for USA. This way we always have the best possible field every year.

I bet it will be a factor next year's decision making (I mean the captain can always use it as a tool right?) and maybe deciding factor in 2-3 years when it's stable and more tournaments are included, etc.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet it will be a factor next year's decision making (I mean the captain can always use it as a tool right?) and maybe deciding factor in 2-3 years when it's stable and more tournaments are included, etc.

The problem is the Fargo rankings are not giving where the information came from
If it read like a Racing form you could do a comparative with players in certian tourneys ,,
Wtfc what so n so did 2 yrs ago or a yr ago for that matter players fall in and out of stroke all the time , the past yr and under better depics the hot hands

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick with points in certain tournaments that way there is no algorithm issues. Later when there is more certainty in Fargo it might be useful in helping chose.

Al

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

SVB
Bergman
Dechaine
Rodney
Johnny

Not our best 5, imo.

I personally think this is our best 5. If I had to put my money on the line, this is the group that I would send. I know that Corey had a really good US Open, but he has looked really sheepish at the MC in the past.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
As far as using Fargorate for the 3 picks, I think it could work well. The only reservation I have is for players who (intentionally or not) babysit their rating.

I think for purposes of picking the Mosconi Cup team if they ran Fargorate with an algorithm that only used results from the past three years and where it weighted the three years somewhere along these lines it would probably work real good:
Past year counts 55%
Year before that counts 30%
Year before that counts 15%

I could even see running with just two years history and weighted 60/40 or possibly 65/35 just for the purposes of picking the team. Babysitting the rating is a tougher issue to solve. You could have a requirement that a certain number of major tournaments had to be played, like say five, and this would pretty much eliminate the babysitting problem. But then you have the problem of one of your best maybe not playing the required amount of majors for whatever reason. Like if Shane chose to only play in three majors for the year he is still clearly the best player but he wouldn't be meeting the criteria and you sure wouldn't want to have to leave him out.

Maybe your suggestion where they use Fargorate only for the top 3 and then have 2 still be captain's picks is the best all around solution if used in conjunction with a minimum number of majors criteria in order to be considered for the top 3 per Fargorate. That way if somebody who is clearly playing great didn't play the minimum required number of majors they can still be selected as one of the captain's picks.

Last edited:

runninracks

StrokeAholic
I am pretty sure that Fargo ratings do have some sort of weighting system for matches based upon when they occurred. Hopefully Mike Page can chime in.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes they have a system where the newer matches are worth more than the older ones. But from my understating, let's say a player retired, his rating would stay frozen because new data is not coming in. I'm definitely not certain of this.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't you all forgetting who owns the Mosconi Cup. It is Matchroom Sport and they are leagues in front of anyone else in the business as far as marketing and publicising their events. They set the criteria and they manage the Ranking Lists for both team.

In doing so they are able to determine when to issue progressive press releases and retain control of THEIR events.

What's next - Fargoising the WCOP and the WORLD MASTERS? You can dream on.
Before you come up with the usual crap about Seven footers/bar boxes that would only illustrate the folly of relying on other people for providing accurate data. i am sure that they would have preferred to have had a menu of a dozen or more events on 9 foot tables from which to draw their chosen results.

Fargo Rankings are merely for amusement only.