Marop 102

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
For those of you who don't check out the high run thread, you might want to take a look at Marpo's 6th century, run a few days ago at the ripe old age of 61.

Who says you can't improve at our age???

https://vimeo.com/113881843

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For those of you who don't check out the high run thread, you might want to take a look at Marpo's 6th century, run a few days ago at the ripe old age of 61.

Irving Crane ran 191 at the age of 69. I believe the run took place in the 6th century..

Irving and Bill seem to be impervious to the aging process.

Well played, Bill.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I think Johnny Ervolino ran 333 (or something like that) in his 70s.

But! Marpo is just getting better and better, congrats on another century! :thumbup::cool:

(a bit jealous here though...) :rolleyes:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think Johnny Ervolino ran 333 (or something like that) in his 70s.

But! Marpo is just getting better and better, congrats on another century! :thumbup::cool:

(a bit jealous here though...) :rolleyes:

Johnny Ervolino died in his late 60's.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Marop, sorry if you feel like we're (I'm) taking over the thread, but the Ervolino run was staying in and pounding my head and finally was able to find a quote:
"In 2000, at the age of 65, Johnny Ervolino ran 333 balls at The Billiard Emporium in Commack, NY (on Long Island). " Amazing feat from Johnny. (<-- don't mean to generally disrespect senior players in any way :) )

Keep shooting 'em straight Marop, I really like your relaxed style. :thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Marop, sorry if you feel like we're (I'm) taking over the thread, but the Ervolino run was staying in and pounding my head and finally was able to find a quote:
"In 2000, at the age of 65, Johnny Ervolino ran 333 balls at The Billiard Emporium in Commack, NY (on Long Island). " Amazing feat from Johnny. (<-- don't mean to generally disrespect senior players in any way :) )

Keep shooting 'em straight Marop, I really like your relaxed style. :thumbup:

I think placing Bill in the company of Ervo and Crane will flatter him.

The sixty-somethings that run 100 balls or more are to be admired.

Unlike Irving and Johnny, though, Bill is still running balls.

Don't stop now, Bill. You've got it going on.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stand corrected. Johnny died at the age of 69. But he did run over 300 balls during his 60's.

Just to clarify, JE died in Feb 2005.

I got the chance to play him during a 1pocket tournament at The Cue Club in Las Vegas, not long after his 300+ ball run.

#####
I got a chance to play Johnny Ervolino (this was right after I had read notice of his 300 ball run). He had a nice soft con going on, telling anyone that would listen, in that foghorn rasp of a voice he had, "Oh yeah. I can't beat nobody anymore. Everybody spots me. Let's play."

We played some $20 1Pocket for a while, until he got called for a match. He told me about some guy he had beaten the night before. I asked him if the guy could play and he said, "Oh no. He couldn't play at all." I went away thinking, he probably thought the same of my game. He was one hell of a player.

#####

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What do guys like Crane, Ervolino and Maropolous have in common that allowed them to run so may balls in the later part of their lives?

I'm guessing it's a good temperament, meaning being able to keep one's nerves in check while running the balls.

Sharpshooter Frank McGown, another guy who could run a lot of balls even when he got old, once told me that "even if your eyes don't fail you, eventually your nerves will get you." To my recollection, Johnny's nerves never slowed him down. He could still run 150 on a tight table into his mid 60's. In my opinion, Irving's nerves began to get the better of him in about 1985 at the age of 72. Joe Balsis was also a ball running machine into his mid-60's.

All these players, I feel, had a good temperament at the table. The ebbs and flows of 14.1 can be tough to fade, but a select few are able to do it for a lifetime.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Very nice shooting Marop-o-monster !!! You really had to earn every part of that run !!!

Like a fine wine, so things just keep getting better with age

Keep up the great playing
Steve

Last edited:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i love the way he goes "wow!" after every harsh roll, and i plan to use that behavior as a model; it's way healthier than what i say now.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do guys like Crane, Ervolino and Maropolous have in common that allowed them to run so may balls in the later part of their lives?

I'm guessing it's a good temperament, meaning being able to keep one's nerves in check while running the balls.

Sharpshooter Frank McGown, another guy who could run a lot of balls even when he got old, once told me that "even if your eyes don't fail you, eventually your nerves will get you." To my recollection, Johnny's nerves never slowed him down. He could still run 150 on a tight table into his mid 60's. In my opinion, Irving's nerves began to get the better of him in about 1985 at the age of 72. Joe Balsis was also a ball running machine into his mid-60's.

All these players, I feel, had a good temperament at the table. The ebbs and flows of 14.1 can be tough to fade, but a select few are able to do it for a lifetime.

You can add Efren to that list. He just won a 10 ball event vs a world class field at the age of 60. Speaking of Ervolino there used to be a 14.1 video of him playing on youtube but I can't find it any more. He was one of several guys from that era who used the slipstroke.

And, good run Marop. I just turned 65 and I ran a 42 the other day and felt pretty damn good about it. I need a new table but I don't want to listen to my wife Bi!(# about it so I keep playing on my old A E Schmidt.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
You can add Efren to that list. He just won a 10 ball event vs a world class field at the age of 60. Speaking of Ervolino there used to be a 14.1 video of him playing on youtube but I can't find it any more. He was one of several guys from that era who used the slipstroke.

And, good run Marop. I just turned 65 and I ran a 42 the other day and felt pretty damn good about it. I need a new table but I don't want to listen to my wife Bi!(# about it so I keep playing on my old A E Schmidt.

There's always this great shot by Johny !!!

http://youtu.be/UgMB5HRvK9k

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The full video of that match used to be available. Ervolino started with a nice run of around 75 balls but appeared to run out of gas and ended up losing.

This was footage from The Maine Event 14.1 Tourney, it was probably removed because it's copyrighted footage from Accu-Stats.

This was a great event and it is in the accu-stats catalog for those who haven't seen it, tons of great matches by some of the great veteran players.

I highly recommend picking up this set !

-Steve

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most interesting sequence in the video for me was at 8:20. Marop is a better player and I'll admit I didn't see that coming. I would have used the ball above the rack for the break ball. Not saying I'm right but Marop had to hit a pretty sweet shot to get the correct angle on the key ball to leave the cue ball in the rack.