VEPS Series / Dr. Dave and Tom Ross

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS Series) A series of instructional videos, Discs I-V.

To date I have viewed discs I, II and III. Each contains excellent instuctional material.
The reviews for all 3 discs are written below. I know neither Dr. Dave or Tom Ross.

Dr. Dave Alciatore and Tom Ross provide numerous amounts of knowledge about the game.

http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com

Disc I - Basic Shot Making and Position
18 cut shots - 21 stun shots - 12 follow shots - 16 draw shots - 26 CB direction - 15 CB speed control -
7 scratch avoidance - 11 combination shots - 16 carom shots - 18 billiard shots

Review - Many shots that players have taken years of play to learn. Not just for beginners. Advanced
players who watch Disc I can brush up on shots they already know, or may even learn a few new ones.
Dr. Dave does the narrating and some shot making. There are many "GEM" shots that have a somewhat
annoying TA DAH sound, but they really are gems. Tom Ross shows much skill in some of his shot making.
I'm sure you will want to purchase the complete series of 5 discs after you view Disc I.

Disc II - English and Poistion Control
19 english basics - 24 english effects - 29 rail cut shots - 9 CB path control shots - 33 basic position play -
11 advanced position play - 10 center table position - 10 straight in position - 19 OB hangers - 20 multi-rails

Review - A non stop disc of english and position control instruction. Most experienced players might
make a majority of these shots without hesitation but may find the advanced position play helpful. There
are no racks of balls run, just many shots that will occur in ordinary games. You won't be disappointed.
I do wish the camera on the OB hangers (shots 306 thru 318) would have shown more of the ball in the
pocket jaws. In the rail cut shot section (shot 223), Dr. Dave says to ignore the rail and to contact the ball
as a normal cut shot. ( IMO unless hit softly, you'll make more rail shots by slightly contacting the rail first )

Disc III - Safety Play and Strategy
33 defensive safety shots - 15 offensive safety shots - 13 safety replies - 9 ball-in-hand replies - 19 general
strategy - 14 eight ball strategy - 8 nine ball strategy - 6 rail first shots - 10 clearance & cluster breakouts

Review - If you have problems with your safety play, this is the instructional disc for you. Many ways to play
safe, both defensively and offensively. Although mostly for rotational games such as 9 ball, many safeties
shown can also be useful in other games. Dr. Dave explains the best location for the cue ball if there's
more than one way to play safe. Many strategy shots are explained. Tom Ross runs a few 8 ball racks on this
disc to show that the easiest shot may not be the best choice when determining your key ball. The clearance
and cluster breakout section explains why it's important to plan ahead before breaking apart ball clusters.

Examples of Discs I thru III - Click the Videos button on top of this page and go to the dr_dave videos.

Or go here... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2279232&postcount=4

Disc IV thru V - not yet available

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In the rail cut shot section (shot 223), Dr. Dave says to ignore the rail and to contact the ball
as a normal cut shot. ( IMO unless hit softly, you'll make more rail shots by slightly contacting the rail first )

You're right, but so is Dr. Dave. Ignoring the rail as Dr. Dave suggests will make you hit slightly rail first (because you have to overcut slightly for "collision throw").

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ralph Kramden said:
In the rail cut shot section (shot 223), Dr. Dave says to ignore the rail and to contact the ball
You're right, but so is Dr. Dave. Ignoring the rail as Dr. Dave suggests will make you hit slightly rail first (because you have to overcut slightly for "collision throw").
Good question Ralph, and excellent answer PJ.

Thanks,
Dave

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Depending on the shot it could be either way. At least, one shot is hit further up the rail than the other. For example, if you want the CB to follow you'd aim closer to the ball. If you want to cross the table and/or with draw, hit more rail first than ball.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depending on the shot it could be either way. At least, one shot is hit further up the rail than the other. For example, if you want the CB to follow you'd aim closer to the ball. If you want to cross the table and/or with draw, hit more rail first than ball.
FYI, good demos of these effects can be found here:

and more info (with a collection of super slow motion clips) can be found here:

Enjoy,
Dave

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got the series for Christmas. These DVD's are great for people that are visual learners. Books work for me too, but visual makes it so much easier to understand and remember, the ability to pause, rewind, replay is a big benefit.

The index at the beginning of each DVD makes it easy to re-watch specific sections.

Highly recommended.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got the series for Christmas. These DVD's are great for people that are visual learners. Books work for me too, but visual makes it so much easier to understand and remember, the ability to pause, rewind, replay is a big benefit.

The index at the beginning of each DVD makes it easy to re-watch specific sections.

Highly recommended.
Thanks for the feedback on VEPS.

Now you know what to request for your birthday or next Christmas. ... hint ... hint ;)

Regards,
Dave

PS: In case the hint isn't clear, the suggestion is VEPP.

GAVI

Registered
Dr. Dave, Ralph Kramden is mentioning about Disc II:
I do wish the camera on the OB hangers (shots 306 thru 318) would have shown more of the ball in the pocket jaws.

Any comments? Did you fix it by rerecording? Thanks.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, Ralph Kramden is mentioning about Disc II:
I do wish the camera on the OB hangers (shots 306 thru 318) would have shown more of the ball in the pocket jaws.

Any comments? Did you fix it by rerecording? Thanks.
We have not rerecord any video; although, I did fix several small errors in narration and diagrams in the second printing of the DVDs. Sorry about the corner not being in view on some of those shots. Hopefully, the message is still clear.

Regards,
Dave

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VEPS and Jerry Brieseth DVD's are far and away the best I've purchased and that covers a lot of ground. My only critique at all is I'd like to be able to purchase these in iPAD format.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
VEPS and Jerry Brieseth DVD's are far and away the best I've purchased and that covers a lot of ground.
Thanks. I agree that Jerry's DVDs are an excellent complement to VEPS, and vice versa.

My only critique at all is I'd like to be able to purchase these in iPAD format.
This is on my list of things to look into to, but I currently don't know anything about it. Do you or others know a good place for me to start to get information on how to do this? Also, do you or others have any advice, suggestions, or warnings related to offering downloadable DVDs?

Thanks,
Dave

aznightshade

Thanks. I agree that Jerry's DVDs are an excellent complement to VEPS, and vice versa.

This is on my list of things to look into to, but I currently don't know anything about it. Do you or others know a good place for me to start to get information on how to do this? Also, do you or others have any advice, suggestions, or warnings related to offering downloadable DVDs?

Thanks,
Dave

Hello Dr. Dave,

I was about to buy a couple of discs for my husband and came across this thread. I would love to be able to buy these videos in a digital format.

I don't know how much reputable companies charge for selling through them, but I believe iTunes store would be one of the options: http://www.apple.com/itunes/working-itunes/sell-content/movie-faq.html

Another one would be Amazon digital store:
https://www.createspace.com/Products/VideoDownload/

I think if people can download your videos directly to their digital devices, you will be able to sell more.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Dr. Dave,

I was about to buy a couple of discs for my husband and came across this thread. I would love to be able to buy these videos in a digital format.

I don't know how much reputable companies charge for selling through them, but I believe iTunes store would be one of the options: http://www.apple.com/itunes/working-itunes/sell-content/movie-faq.html

Another one would be Amazon digital store:
https://www.createspace.com/Products/VideoDownload/

I think if people can download your videos directly to their digital devices, you will be able to sell more.
Thanks for the info. This is definitely on "my list" of things to look into.

Catch you later,
Dave