The Talent Code

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
http://thetalentcode.com/

For those here wanting to play better pool, this site might help.

Here's some stuff from there:

...a new gauge for comparing practice methods. I’m calling it the R.E.P.S. Gauge.

(Okay, acronyms are cheesy, I know. But they’ve been around for a long time because they work.)

R stands for Reaching/Repeating.

E stands for Engagment.

P stands for Purposefulness

S stands for Strong, Direct, Immediate Feedback.

The idea behind the gauge is simple: you should practice methods that contain these key elements, and avoid methods that don’t. Below, you’ll find a description of each element along with a sample choice to illustrate how it works.​

And another tidbit:

I recently visited a group of Special Forces soldiers who had recently taken an expedition to an exotic, far-off place: the corner offices of General Electric. The soldiers spent a few weeks in the boardrooms, watching top executives at work. The soldiers didn’t have any responsibilities other than watching the GE execs make decisions, communicate, and work together. Basically, they stared. And when they returned to their unit, the Special Forces commanders (who’d set up this experiment) noticed an immediate and pronounced boost in performance. They made better decisions, they communicated more clearly.

Another example: classical music teachers around the world have been stunned in the past few years by the quality of learning going by watching great performances on YouTube. There aren’t any real classes, per se, but rather a space where people stare at Heifetz, Perlman, Lang Lang et. al., copy them, and get better.

And another: In a famous episode of 60 Minutes, tennis teacher and author Timothy Galwey taught a person who’d never played tennis before to hit a decent forehand in 20 minutes — without uttering a word. It was all via the stare.

So what’s happening in these cases?

Three things, I’d say:​

Continued at the link at the top of this post.

Jeff Livingston

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

...a new gauge for comparing practice methods. I’m calling it the R.E.P.S. Gauge.

(Okay, acronyms are cheesy, I know. But they’ve been around for a long time because they work.)

E stands for Engagment.

The idea behind the gauge is simple: you should practice methods that contain these key elements, and avoid methods that don’t. Below, you’ll find a description of each element along with a sample choice to illustrate how it works.​

And another tidbit:

I recently visited a group of Special Forces soldiers who had recently taken an expedition to an exotic, far-off place: the corner offices of General Electric. The soldiers spent a few weeks in the boardrooms, watching top executives at work. The soldiers didn’t have any responsibilities other than watching the GE execs make decisions, communicate, and work together. Basically, they stared. And when they returned to their unit, the Special Forces commanders (who’d set up this experiment) noticed an immediate and pronounced boost in performance. They made better decisions, they communicated more clearly.

Another example: classical music teachers around the world have been stunned in the past few years by the quality of learning going by watching great performances on YouTube. There aren’t any real classes, per se, but rather a space where people stare at Heifetz, Perlman, Lang Lang et. al., copy them, and get better.

And another: In a famous episode of 60 Minutes, tennis teacher and author Timothy Galwey taught a person who’d never played tennis before to hit a decent forehand in 20 minutes — without uttering a word. It was all via the stare.

Jeff Livingston

Well......monkey see monkey do......

Speech is not always the best way to get information across.

I really like "S stands for Strong, Direct, Immediate Feedback" which to me means HAMB which sure seems to go against what some instructors on here preach.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg...You just don't get it. We are not against HAMB. We offer an alternative. That said, if there are easier, more efficient ways to arrive at the same destination, why is that so bad? How can you get significant 'feedback' without a way to chart your success, and measure your results...other than just "shoot it in the hole"?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I really like "S stands for Strong, Direct, Immediate Feedback" which to me means HAMB which sure seems to go against what some instructors on here preach.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff...Very interesting read! Thanks for posting it!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

E stands for Engagment.

And another tidbit:

Jeff Livingston

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Real nice post - very helpful and relevant.

Here's something important the author says:

"But as I said at the start, this idea is still in the experimental phase. What other elements should we consider including? How do you achieve your best practices? What else should we add here?"

There were several insightful suggestions for improving the basic REPS idea: http://thetalentcode.com/2011/05/31/a-gauge-for-measuring-effective-practice/#comments

I wonder how this idea could be tailored specifically for pool practice... any suggestions about that?

pj
chgo

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Real nice post - very helpful and relevant.

Here's something important the author says:

"But as I said at the start, this idea is still in the experimental phase. What other elements should we consider including? How do you achieve your best practices? What else should we add here?"

There were several insightful suggestions for improving the basic REPS idea: http://thetalentcode.com/2011/05/31/a-gauge-for-measuring-effective-practice/#comments

I wonder how this idea could be tailored specifically for pool practice... any suggestions about that?

pj
chgo

PJ that's exactly what was running thru my head as well.... And can the tailoring be universal or does it have to be tailored for each player.... I have always gravitated to the clock face drill where a miss starts you back at the beginning.... knowing the mother drills as I am sure you do... I don't... Could these be the basis of starting the tailoring???

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ that's exactly what was running thru my head as well.... And can the tailoring be universal or does it have to be tailored for each player.... I have always gravitated to the clock face drill where a miss starts you back at the beginning.... knowing the mother drills as I am sure you do... I don't... Could these be the basis of starting the tailoring???

I believe that's exactly what the author is going to say. I'm purchasing the book, so I'll let you know.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Greg...You just don't get it. We are not against HAMB. We offer an alternative. That said, if there are easier, more efficient ways to arrive at the same destination, why is that so bad? How can you get significant 'feedback' without a way to chart your success, and measure your results...other than just "shoot it in the hole"?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I get it.

Here is how I get feedback.... I see shot, I do this, it works. I see shot, I do this, it doesn't work. Lesson....do what works.

Simple.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Actually you don't offer an alternative. You offer a way to make those million balls mean so much more.

The whole blog supports you. 100% It does not support those who think you should "figure it out on your own by hitting a million balls".

http://thetalentcode.com/2011/01/26/stealing-talent-a-pickpockets-guide/

The whole blog supports trying new things and when something is found to work then you practice that smartly.

Also: Thank you Jeff. An amazing blog. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

JarnoV

JarnoV
Silver Member

I think this implies that a significant part of the practice should be spent working at the threshold of your skills. It's not just that you try to do things that are outside your skill level, but that they are near your skill threshold. You should get the feeling that it's a bit too difficult but not way too difficult.

Let's say you're practicing straight-in stop shots. You should first try to figure out the threshold where you still make the shot practically 100% of the time. It's so easy that you know that you make the shot. Then you should make it incrementally more difficult until you reach a point where it starts to feel difficult.

When you find the threshold level, you should then start to practice breaking it with repetition. This practice should then in turn improve your skills so that the current difficulty level becomes thoroughly easy.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John...I know, but it doesn't stop me from at least trying to communicate with the diehard naysayers.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Actually you don't offer an alternative. You offer a way to make those million balls mean so much more.

The whole blog supports you. 100% It does not support those who think you should "figure it out on your own by hitting a million balls".

http://thetalentcode.com/2011/01/26/stealing-talent-a-pickpockets-guide/

The whole blog supports trying new things and when something is found to work then you practice that smartly.

Also: Thank you Jeff. An amazing blog. Much appreciated.

JarnoV

JarnoV
Silver Member
It does not support those who think you should "figure it out on your own by hitting a million balls".

This is misleading. I don't think anyone thinks you should "figure it out on your own by hitting a million balls". That's not what is implied by "HAMB aiming".

Stop putting (wrong) words into other people's mouths.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Ok, I'll bite, I love a good smoked HAM, but what is HAMB? :smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This is misleading. I don't think anyone thinks you should "figure it out on your own by hitting a million balls". That's not what is implied by "HAMB aiming".

Stop putting (wrong) words into other people's mouths.

That is EXACTLY what is meant. Trial and error = HAMB for some people.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Bought the book. Stared at the balls for ten minutes today and didn't get any better. I must be doing it wrong.

Tried it on my wife as well, she wasn't amused. :)