8 Ball breaks

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the right table and with a good second ball break the eight ball could be the fastest moving ball on the table. I've had at least three in a row a few times.

+1

I played in a local call pocket 8-ball league that gave out a trophy and cash prize for whomever made the most "8 on the break" wins in a session.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm a mediocre league player, and last Tuesday I made the 8 once and just missed making it two more times, out of four breaks total.

Some nights you just hit the sweet spot just the right way. Having an opponent who racks conscientiously helps.

Some nights I can't get the 8 to move at all. Its crazy....

SWANIE

Registered
2013 Singles APA regional tournament in Huntsville Al in a 5 to 4 race I had a player from Chattanooga Tenn. make 4 in a row and would have won if he had not scratched on the last one, I did wind up with the win to go to Vegas (I was very lucky to get by that with a Win)

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im in a league and have been identified as an 8 ball breaker, My percentage is roughly 25% or 1 in 4,
I use two types of 8 ball breaks and will move it around to get what I need. I really don't like a win with 8 on the break , but if the rules give it to you, I take it.
I do think that it has more to do with my break cue more than anything, its not heavy, but gives a very solid hit, also without a good follow through, don't expect anything.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 out of 8 is quite high and statistically unlikely, so yeah you caught a bad break, no pun intended. 1 or 2 would have been quite reasonable for someone who knows what they're doing, but 3 is just very unlikely math dealing you a body blow :)

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eight on the break should not be a win. One of the worst rules ever! Back when I played APA, never again btw, I lost a hill hill match to a very good player on an eight ball break. I literally wanted to punch him in the face, not that I would ever, but it is the worst way to lose a match.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eight on the break should not be a win. One of the worst rules ever! Back when I played APA, never again btw, I lost a hill hill match to a very good player on an eight ball break. I literally wanted to punch him in the face, not that I would ever, but it is the worst way to lose a match.
I would not want to win a hard fought match with an equal opponent on an eight ball break. I would never try the second ball break because I have no desire to make an eight on the break. I would actually apologize for getting lucky, the same way I would for slopping in a ball in nine ball.

I tried to edit, I guess I hit the wrong button :)

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
What kind of rules count the 8 on the break as a win? Is that an APA thing? In BCA rules, the 8 spots and the breaker has the option to continue shooting where the cue ball lays, re-rack and break, or re-rack and make your opponent break.
I agree with some here. The 8 should spot.
As should a 9 on the break.
Let's keep "luck" out of our game as much as possible.
Coin op might be an exception.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not want to win a hard fought match with an equal opponent on an eight ball break. I would never try the second ball break because I have no desire to make an eight on the break. I would actually apologize for getting lucky, the same way I would for slopping in a ball in nine ball.

I tried to edit, I guess I hit the wrong button :)

No offense, but I think most would welcome a win that way if the game was important enough.