from D- to A

Papa Lou

Registered
My goal has been to reach A level playing skill (using ratings systems on colostate.billiards.edu for 10ball racks) in as short a time period as possible. I was a completely social player. Played maybe 5 times a year type of thing. I got an 9ft Olhausen table March 2 and I've been on a mission ever since. When I'm not playing/practicing, I'm on youtube watching and re-watching matches. I want to do this on my own with no outside coaching just figuring it out for myself and watching others play. I was below a D- when I started. Now I'm probably about a B or so. It's only been 6 months. My goal is A level by the end of the year (9 months of play). How feasible do some of the experienced players here believe that is? Has anyone ever accomplished it that quickly?

9ball_in_MN

speed kills
Silver Member
you can do it best way is play people better then you are when ever you can i found the best way to get better is get beat and then come back and beat them

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
1 year just isn't realistic... IF you get good mechanics instruction ASAP and you practice more than 2 hours a day 6 days a week.. you might become a runout caliber 10ball player in 5 years.

If it was quick and easy everyone would do it..it takes 10,000 hours of focused practice to master complex skills

Good Luck

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play against random people

The one thing I learned about practicing by yourself is that you can think you're getting really good because you can run out a table or two. The problems occur when you start to play other people. Pressure is a huge factor in what your speed is and it can't be replicated by yourself. Know what it's like to have your first shot in a game after someone just put a 3 pack on you? I agree practice is good but it's just practice. Got to know where you stand by playing other good people. Unfortunately, getting the hang of that isn't something that comes quickly. But hey, getting to that A speed is one hell of trip. :smile:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some people never make it to A speed, the most talented kids still need years.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Gettng to "A"

If indeed your goal is to get to an "A" status in as short a period of time as possible, then it would be foolish to try and figure it out on your own.

Trying to figure things out, on your own, is typically the longest distance between to points.

If you don't want to take lessons, at least invest in a few good books.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If you just want to reach A status according to that ranking system, you can achieve your goal practicing on your own, but realistically, not within the time frame you are speaking of. 2 years would be about the minimum unless you have an extraordinary amount of talent. But you shouldn't think of yourself as an A player just from that ranking system. A real A player is someone that is recognized by their peers as an A player. The reason behind thi is that the main difference between an A and a high B is the ability to win, rather than simply being able to run out a set number of balls.

The best way to achieve this is to go to the nearest pool hall that has a real pro, become buddies with him (not just pool buddies, actual buddies) and get on the pool table with him as often as you can.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you do it? Certainly, to a point. You won't have much real experience, but you could develop some serious skills.

Will you do it? That's for you to prove.

Could you, after one year, walk into a pool hall, an pull off an A player "performance". Yeah, that's possible. You could also get your ass handed to you.

You could actually train yourself in the technical aspects of performance well enough to do it. But the experience wouldn't be there so it would be difficult to make it consistent under competitive circumstances like a money game or tournament.

Formal instruction is great and can definitely help. It sounds like you are watching videos and using whatever resources you can find to study, but without somebody observing and correcting what you are doing it will be more difficult.

I hope that when people tell you it isn't possible that it only motivates you to work harder. Motivation will have a lot to do with it. Some people never get very good in spite of their efforts but even the best wouldn't get there if they had no motivation to try.

You may find that after that year you have great shot making ability but strategy is lacking. Or perhaps you will not cope well with competition. Maybe you won't adapt to other tables well. Being able to perform consistently in a variety of circumstances will be difficult to achieve with your scheme I think.

I played 4-6 hours a day 6 days a week for 6 years and it put me through college for my first degree. I didn't have a table so I was not isolated. I also didn't have youtube, this forum, and other such resources. I had players around me, good cheap tables, and sheer determination (hunger) on my side. I can't play like i did back then at all, but I still love the game. If nothing else you will maintain a life long love for the art of the cue sports.

I for one would encourage you to keep at it. This forum is a great place to ask questions. You may also want to direct more specific questions in the Ask the Instructor forum.

Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have legitamitely accomplished what you said in your first post, and went from D- to B in 6 months, then ignore everyone in this thread (me included) and keep learning on your own, as you have been.

Papa Lou

Registered
There are some very smart people on this forum. Thanks for the feedback guys.
I've definitely broken through many hurdles and milestones (in my mind) as I've progressed in skill. Every time I feel I make a "breakthrough" and feel I've just gotten a full ball better I realize over time I'm only a half ball or quarter ball better. But the breakthroughs are almost tangible. Over time, naturally without forcing it, I've found the "need" to improve my safety play and banking ability. Initially I thought I'd have to schedule this in, but it's developing naturally on an as needed type of basis. That is another way I know I'm moving up. Eventually I predict those elements will become the major part of my focus, naturally.

I don't often play other people. I want to come up sort of quietly until I'm ready to play well. The shortcoming of that philosophy of course is inexperience. I do play against a few friends occasionally and play matches against myself. But the pressure of serious live matches is real and I have yet to experience that. I figure once I arrive at A level by ratings system I will begin to gamble at pool halls to gain experience under pressure.

I think we will see pool grow significantly over the next 5 years, and with that many new young kids will enter the scene. As in the poker boom, technology available today (not merely the equipment but the internet and information available as well) will be maximized by these people to boost their skills at a much faster rate than would have been possible 20 years ago. I'm anticipating that because it happened in poker--with today's level of play being ultra sophisticated by comparison to just a decade ago. I think the 10,000 hour rule will be readdressed in the near future as society develops, and will be found to be significantly reduced as technology soars (Neo learning kung fu in The Matrix after some video programming in his head is an exaggeration of this but that's the way we may be headed).

Still, I think we're far away from fully expediting something that takes as much muscle memory as pool. I think if I can accomplish this (especially with my grueling 75 hr/week job) it would be an incredible feat. Like you guys have said, it means less than a tournament-proven rating level, but I think that is heavily mental once the solid mechanics, sighting/aiming, position play, and strategic knowledge components are acquired. Hypnosis alone has cured some people of these mental blunders (Chael Sonnen is a recent great example).

I will post my results at the end of the year and hopefully I meet my goal. If not I'll just keep trying aggressively anyway until I do because this game is so satisfying to play.

I will take the straight pool advice as well. I'd forgone that to improve my rotation skills, but it's a good time to take that step. Wish me luck!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Don't forget lessons...

There are some very smart people on this forum. Thanks for the feedback guys.
I've definitely broken through many hurdles and milestones (in my mind) as I've progressed in skill. Every time I feel I make a "breakthrough" and feel I've just gotten a full ball better I realize over time I'm only a half ball or quarter ball better. But the breakthroughs are almost tangible. Over time, naturally without forcing it, I've found the "need" to improve my safety play and banking ability. Initially I thought I'd have to schedule this in, but it's developing naturally on an as needed type of basis. That is another way I know I'm moving up. Eventually I predict those elements will become the major part of my focus, naturally.

I don't often play other people. I want to come up sort of quietly until I'm ready to play well. The shortcoming of that philosophy of course is inexperience. I do play against a few friends occasionally and play matches against myself. But the pressure of serious live matches is real and I have yet to experience that. I figure once I arrive at A level by ratings system I will begin to gamble at pool halls to gain experience under pressure.

I think we will see pool grow significantly over the next 5 years, and with that many new young kids will enter the scene. As in the poker boom, technology available today (not merely the equipment but the internet and information available as well) will be maximized by these people to boost their skills at a much faster rate than would have been possible 20 years ago. I'm anticipating that because it happened in poker--with today's level of play being ultra sophisticated by comparison to just a decade ago. I think the 10,000 hour rule will be readdressed in the near future as society develops, and will be found to be significantly reduced as technology soars (Neo learning kung fu in The Matrix after some video programming in his head is an exaggeration of this but that's the way we may be headed).

Still, I think we're far away from fully expediting something that takes as much muscle memory as pool. I think if I can accomplish this (especially with my grueling 75 hr/week job) it would be an incredible feat. Like you guys have said, it means less than a tournament-proven rating level, but I think that is heavily mental once the solid mechanics, sighting/aiming, position play, and strategic knowledge components are acquired. Hypnosis alone has cured some people of these mental blunders (Chael Sonnen is a recent great example).

I will post my results at the end of the year and hopefully I meet my goal. If not I'll just keep trying aggressively anyway until I do because this game is so satisfying to play.

I will take the straight pool advice as well. I'd forgone that to improve my rotation skills, but it's a good time to take that step. Wish me luck!

Hope you don't forget the suggestion of several posters...take lessons. Self-teaching can be a long and frustrating process. So, take lessons first and then practice, otherwise you will be re-inforcing any bad habits.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
My goal has been to reach A level playing skill (using ratings systems on colostate.billiards.edu for 10ball racks) in as short a time period as possible. I was a completely social player. Played maybe 5 times a year type of thing. I got an 9ft Olhausen table March 2 and I've been on a mission ever since. When I'm not playing/practicing, I'm on youtube watching and re-watching matches. I want to do this on my own with no outside coaching just figuring it out for myself and watching others play. I was below a D- when I started. Now I'm probably about a B or so. It's only been 6 months. My goal is A level by the end of the year (9 months of play). How feasible do some of the experienced players here believe that is? Has anyone ever accomplished it that quickly?

Honestly, I am skeptical about your rate of improvement.

if you are interested, post a YouTube vid of yourself breaking and shooting 3-4 racks of 10 ball and the forum will give you an experienced assessment.

Eric

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric...I'm MORE than skeptical. IMO, this is another incarnation of PocketPoint. You and I both know that NOBODY can work a real job double time (75 hrs a week is what the OP posted), and still have time to practice any significant amount of time. Plus the fact that the OP is publicly eschewing any kind of pertinent instruction (I want to figure it out on my own), along with a superficially impossible timeline. This guy is yanking our chains. I could be wrong...perhaps the OP will post a video to prove themselves.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Honestly, I am skeptical about your rate of improvement.

if you are interested, post a YouTube vid of yourself breaking and shooting 3-4 racks of 10 ball and the forum will give you an experienced assessment.

Eric

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you have legitamitely accomplished what you said in your first post, and went from D- to B in 6 months, then ignore everyone in this thread (me included) and keep learning on your own, as you have been.

...and if you do ignore everyone one this thread you'll still be in the same position as when you started.
First, I don't think you went from from being a D- player to a B player in only six months. Becoming an A player, or 10 speed as we call it here, in another six months is totally unrealistic. It takes years of serious play to get to that level.
I applaud your efforts, and encourage you to continue on, but I would also ask that you look at the bigger picture here. :smile:

Papa Lou

Registered
I'll post a video in a day or two then. Maybe I'm not even a B and you're right Lee, but I do work 75 hrs a week AND put in 4-6 hours a day on average between watching and playing. It is definitely possible you just can't have kids and need a supportive wife. I got the deadline because I can't be all work and pool for too long. I will do it.

I took the playing straight pool advice and I can hardly get past one rack, so maybe I'm back to being a D...dunno. Maybe learning curve.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Look, Papa, getting to the A level, or becoming a 10-speed, is only a hop, skip, and a short jump away from being a pro, and it's tougher than a two dollar steak getting there. You have to spend almost all of your time in a pool room, and gambling is damn near a must.
Take it slow and enjoy the games. Becoming a good B player is certainly nothing to sneeze at and what ever you do, learn One Pocket. When someone tells you that you're a good One Pocket player then that in it's self is a just reward. Good luck. :smile:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
It is definitely possible

WOW 24 hours ago you asked the question .. everyone who replied said it's not that easy... so today you are certain you can do it???

why did you ask if you already knew the answer??

LOL gotta love AZ

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW 24 hours ago you asked the question .. everyone who replied said it's not that easy... so today you are certain you can do it???

why did you ask if you already knew the answer??

How about some simple moral support from the community?

Not easy does not mean impossible. A high performance individual would stand a better chance than most of doing it. I guess it just comes down to whether or not he fits that description....

I wish him the best in trying. :thumbup:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
How about some simple moral support from the community?

Not easy does not mean impossible. A high performance individual would stand a better chance than most of doing it. I guess it just comes down to whether or not he fits that description....

I wish him the best in trying. :thumbup:

where exactly is the line between a high goal and a delusion, Doc??

I've never picked up a golf club in my life but if I watch some golf channel and play Tiger woods wii everyday .. maybe spend a couple hours on the putting green at the motel 6 each week..

I figure I'll be a scratch golfer by spring time....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm glad the guy wants to practice and get better... but unrealistic goals just are not going to help..