Offensive Games?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What offensive games rules have you come across, where defense is rare and a player often has little choice other than to attempt a big shot?

My favorite is ring game 10-ball, and occasionally 8-ball, when a player becomes committed to finishing in that shot or losing.

Some drill like games come to mind, such as golf and ghost games.... interested to hear of offensive games.

FWIW: I consider 9 and 10 ball to be about the most defensive of all games, post a great / fortunate break.

Colin

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play a game called Killer, you usually need a minimum of 4 players to make it fun, all players pay the entry fee at start, everyone starts with 3 lives, you lose a life if you miss a ball on your turn. The only defensive aspect is where you leave the white ball for the next player. Last man standing wins the pot.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see top players compete with a very offensive format. You'd get to see so many amazing shots that you wouldn't normally see due to not having the typical better percentage play of using defense.

My buddy and I created a game we call "Do or Die" and the rules are simple. Every inning you get ball in hand. Play 15-ball rotation with the game winning ball as the last ball on the table. So if you make the 15 early, the 14 becomes the money ball.

It's tough enough for advanced players, but also gives lower players a chance to pocket balls and start thinking about positioning the cue ball. We found you can still play defense, but it is like intentional foul defense you see in other games.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play a game called Killer, you usually need a minimum of 4 players to make it fun, all players pay the entry fee at start, everyone starts with 3 lives, you lose a life if you miss a ball on your turn. The only defensive aspect is where you leave the white ball for the next player. Last man standing wins the pot.
Have played killer many times and a version of snooker which is called Shell Out in Australia which has similar attributes. Love those games... Thanks Grant!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Why not play 9-ball without Ball in Hand penalty? That will get rid of a major incentive to play safe.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try 14.1 Challenge.
Big break and pot every ball you can. Stop when you miss. Count your score.
A little drillish, but a great example, I was tempted to add 14.1, because it is very offensive in some ways, but the game you mention, does force players to take on shots they might otherwise avoid in a real match.

But for me, 14.1 fails, because in game play, 90% of shots are gimmes. It doesn't test the players in shot making nearly as much as it tests them in pattern making.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not play 9-ball without Ball in Hand penalty? That will get rid of a major incentive to play safe.
You mean the push out rule?

I kind of like that, but how about making it BIH after any miss? That would be too easy for good players, so make them hit 2 rails in addition to pocketing a ball... then we'd see what the best players can do!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
FWIW: I consider 9 and 10 ball to be about the most defensive of all games, post a great / fortunate break.

Colin

I'd add one-pocket to your list of defensive games.

Although I don't get to play ring games very often, I've found them lots of fun because of the no defense nature of the game.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd add one-pocket to your list of defensive games.

Although I don't get to play ring games very often, I've found them lots of fun because of the no defense nature of the game.

1-pocket is an interesting creature.. like snooker, it can be very aggressive at times, but also highly defensive... when the world's best are playing them well, they can be exciting offensive games... but for Joe 'better than average' defense dominates.

Brings to mind banks... never played in such a tourney, but it would seem offense dominates defense... and the same with 3 Cushion.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A really REALLY fun game when you're down the pub with mates. I'd love to see the big boys play this. Dennis, Shane, Earl (just to hear him whine), Efren, Daz... 1k a man, 10ft table, 15 balls, 3 lives, winner takes the pot.

One thing we do when we play it here is the 8 ball counts as +1 life, and gets racked on the middle. So it adds extra tactics of not leaving the 8 for the next guy.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You want to see more attempts at shot making, then you need to minimize or eliminate the factors that promote and reward defensive play. 3 foul rule, ball-in-hand penalty rewards players to come up with safeties and defensive play. 9-ball before the popularity of Texas Express rules.

25 years ago when I played 'old school' 8-ball, players were not penalized for misses. Safeties were considered 'dirty pool', and you were obligated to make your best attempt at a shot every time you came up to the table.

The movie The Color of Money helped revived interest in pool. The pool industry switched from 14.1 aka straight pool to 9-ball as the showcase game as it was flashier. 14.1 was putting people to sleep, even though it was a much better indicator of skill than 9-ball.j

I also believe the games to showcase the skills of the pros aren't necessarily the best one for the average joes to play.

You mean the push out rule?

I kind of like that, but how about making it BIH after any miss? That would be too easy for good players, so make them hit 2 rails in addition to pocketing a ball... then we'd see what the best players can do!

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bowliards fits the description of all offense. Break a rack of 10 balls and try to get a strike by making all the balls. A second attempt for a spare. Score like bowling and keep a record to show your progress.

3-ball is another one. Try it with 6 balls.

liakos

Banned
I play a game I learned a couple yrs back called 10-ball;)

Anyway, different kind of rules, your allowed only 1 safe each game and if you miss a called shot(every shot is called pocket) incoming player has ball in hand!

So don't miss, and use your 1 safe wisely;) GREAT GAME:)

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ban safety play.
15 sec stop clock.
No extensions.
I'd love to see safety play banned in league matches I've played in, but you'd just get players playing safe but making it look like they went for the pot. Rattle a ball but make sure you get the white in a place that leaves the guy completely screwed.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Slow play is an issue I remember from playing straight pool league. Instead of a per shot clock, maybe a cumulative one using a chess clock.

Each player gets 1 hour, the game ends whenever the clock runs out for both players. The winner would be the highest tallied score.

Ban safety play.
15 sec stop clock.
No extensions.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great contributions guys, I won't respond to all, else I'll fill half the page!

I don't mind the odd bit of slow play when we know it is a really tough shot and the player needs to really focus... it adds gravitas to the situation. I'd rather watch 3 great shots in 3 minutes than 10 easy shots it the same time.

For some of the best shots I've ever seen, I'd be willing to wait 5 minutes.

Potting quickly can show a great kind of skill, but a great shot beats 5 nice shots played quickly.

Colin

stricken6

Registered
7-ball

one safe per rack (if you want). call pocket; if you miss it's BIH

doesn't get much more aggressive than that. quick racks too.