Listening to music while playing

duker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious to what kind of music that players listen to with ear buds while they are playing Pool ? Listening to all instrumental music in a specific Genre ? Maybe listening to favorite music with lyrics ? Just curious what mood of music do they try to, such as --Country--classic rock--Oldies or easy Listening -- or others.. Thanks in advance for anyone's opinions :)

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often listen to various kinds of metal music, some folkish ones like Eluveitie works well for me. They set my mind right for playing, even though i dont really listen to any music when shooting, my mind dampens it out mostly. But it's nice to listen while waiting to get back on the table ;)
The weird thing is that for me it's a bit distracting if there isn't any noise in the room, that throws my game off a bit for some reason. Maybe I'm just so used to the music in the background :embarrassed2:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a big money match lately with 2 championship
caliber players. At first, rap music was going on the loud
speakers. One player switched it to country and the other
player put the ear buds in and continued listening to rap.
Not sure why I'm posting this, guess you had to be there
because it created some drama for a bit...lol

I never wear ear buds at a tournament or for money. If
there's music playing at the venue, even if shitty, that's
what I go with. When I'm at home, however, it's 90's
alternative and grunge for me. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice
in Chains, Soundgarden, are my faves, but there's a lot
of good tunes on DirectTV channel 838 that wasn't made
by a band from the Seattle scene in the early 90's. Classic
rock is my 2nd choice, for what it's worth. Good beer music
for sure...haha.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is my understanding, at least here in Atlanta, it is not "legal" to wear buds or earphones while in a match, however, if you ask your opponent for permission, 99% of the time he approves. that being said, I have many kinds of music on my ipod and select the "mix" option so I never know what is coming next. the music includes, Pavarotti, joe bonamasa, classic rock (a lot of pink Floyd), classical and even the Tibetan monks' chant(10 minutes) but never ever country or hard metal. with the majority of the age group in their 20's I have to block out the rap and hard metal somehow! :rolleyes:

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I always play my fav bands rock but sometimes I put it on shuffle and I have tons of other music but most time I don't use ipod or head phones only time I do is when I'm annoyed of music playing or the player lol

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I always play my fav bands rock but sometimes I put it on shuffle and I have tons of other music but most time I don't use ipod or head phones only time I do is when I'm annoyed of music playing or the player lol

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
at home ill play any music that I would normally listen to
which ever strikes me at tue moment
metal to country and everything in between

lately since ive got a tv for my room, I just play movies every time I practice
game of thrones to eastbound and down

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I have a playlist just for pool.
Hot Jazz instrumentals and ZZ Top.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
"Dirty Pool" by Stevie Ray Vaughan
"Rack 'em Up" by Big Max (cover of Johnny Lang tune)
"Don't Mess Around with Jim" by Jim Croce

SRV, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Group, The Band....

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is generally what I listen to. I also agree about the tempo and rhythm, although I did win a tournament while listening to a specially made Phish playlist only....

Blues and blues based rock. Any music with a defined tempo or rhythm.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
If I were inclined to listen to headphones while playing pool (which I'm not) I would want soothing, groovy music that has a steady drive and without lots of interruptions. Since the whole point is to draw attention away from pool hall noise distractions, I'd try to go with DJ mixes or maybe live concert recordings to avoid silence between tracks and to create a longer, steady listening experience. I definitely wouldn't be listening to the radio..

Generally, I welcome any intelligent music from all genres. But, it were somehow magically up to me, all you would ever hear in pool room environments is mellow, downtempo, chilled-out music. The pool room is definitely not the place for music that ever gets in your face with offensive language (vulga/stupid) or which is musically so far in left field that it makes you turn your head at the jukebox or someone nearby with a serious 'WTF is that?' look on your face....

In my house, I like to play music like this as I practice... and the hours can melt away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_RW1YqK60

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will listen to a playlist of blues (BB King, Eric Clapton, Albert King, Albert Cummings, Curtis Salgado, Delbert McClinton, Etta James, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Keb Mo, Luther Allison, Robert Bradley, SRV, Tommy Castro, Warren Haynes)

I also listen to a playlist of country, but, blues during pool seems to fit the atmosphere the best.

The one music that I don't like listening to, during pool or whenever, is hip-hop rap. I don't like 99.5% of the lyrics.

Never play with earbuds. Too much stuff to get in the way.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I am curious to what kind of music that players listen to with ear buds while they are playing Pool ? Listening to all instrumental music in a specific Genre ? Maybe listening to favorite music with lyrics ? Just curious what mood of music do they try to, such as --Country--classic rock--Oldies or easy Listening -- or others.. Thanks in advance for anyone's opinions :)

Frank Zappa MUD Shark

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The entire Tangerine Dream catalogue from 1974-1990. European based Synthesizers and guitar instrumental works of sound. Slow but steady, methodical and machine-like precision. Just how I want to play.

Also, many synthesized film soundtracks from the 80s...
Terminator
Bloodsport
Kickboxer
Thief
Heat
Witness
Gallipoli
.....just name a few.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I listen to light classical music. It works great as background music, creates an auditory backdrop without being a distraction itself. Any music with lyrics can cause me to listen to the music rather than stay in the game.

Dave

Banks

Banned
The entire Tangerine Dream catalogue from 1974-1990. European based Synthesizers and guitar instrumental works of sound. Slow but steady, methodical and machine-like precision. Just how I want to play.

Also, many synthesized film soundtracks from the 80s...
Terminator
Bloodsport
Kickboxer
Thief
Heat
Witness
Gallipoli
.....just name a few.

I'm guessing Legend is in there, too.

I listen to whatever is playing at the bar. Could be anything from death metal to blues to classic rock to rap to country and plenty more. If i get in a groove, i don't even notice.

duker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for all of your suggestions.I was thinking maybe just soothing music with singing words, to distract your thoughts. I am going to experiment here at home and see how it goes..Thanks again..