How long have you been playing and..

Banks

Banned
Due to the topic being taken up in another thread, i thought I'd start one solely for that purpose..

How long have you been playing and about how long has your game been relatively the same?

Have you tried anything to pass that point? (Now or in the past)

Is there anything you plan on or want to try to pass that hump?

At what point do you feel you stopped progressing?

If you feel that you're still improving, is there anything in particular that you would attribute to that?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've been playing about five years

I've been close to the same level of ability the last three (tho I see some small improvements over the last year)

I haven't really taken the next step because I don't practice enuf

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to the topic being taken up in another thread, i thought I'd start one solely for that purpose..

How long have you been playing and about how long has your game been relatively the same? I've been playing for roughly 19-20 years. My dad liked the bar and brought us with a lot. I'm 29 and have been playing league since I was 21. At 21 I joined a league that my grandpa shot in and it was doubles. I liked it but never took it serious. I have only been serious about pool for about 2 years. I'm still getting better.

Have you tried anything to pass that point? (Now or in the past) I'm putting more time in on the tables and when I can't get on the tables I'm watching other people shoot or watching some of the great matches. I would say my weakest point is pattern play.

Is there anything you plan on or want to try to pass that hump? Keep learning and figuring out what the smart pattern is. Also, saving money for a lesson or two. My game is still getting better and I'm improving my average every year and running more every year but without proper instruction I'll plateau at some point.

If you feel that you're still improving, is there anything in particular that you would attribute to that? Watching better players, getting advice from some of the older guys in my area that are great shots and learning from people around here while avoiding the trolls. :)

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long have you been playing and about how long has your game been relatively the same?

7 years; 6 months (I haven't been playing much lately, maybe twice a month)

Yes, but I didn't have enough time to put the hours in.

Practice more.

When our APA team handicaps went too high and play was limited to certain players. Since I wasn't going to play, I lost interest in practicing.

If you feel that you're still improving, is there anything in particular that you would attribute to that?

Competing against higher skilled players in a tournament setting. A year ago, I would be nervous to play anyone that plays better than me. Now, I have no problems playing anyone. It's a learning experience. I have observed many highly skilled players play, but I didn't start improving until I put myself in the ring.

Also, recording matches is a great way to fix my errors. I remember why I did it, but it helps to see how I did it and what went wrong.

This was in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgDrJcCQSBE
Looking back, I would have shot things differently.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing for about 14 months now. I also played for about a year over five years ago and then stopped when some life stuff got in the way. I also played a little about 13 years ago but that was just banging around on a bar box for fun, didn't take it seriously back then. I feel my game is still progressing and I'm making slow strides, mostly due to the fact that I only get to a table a couple times a week on the weekends.

I'm looking forward to moving in the next couple years to a place where I can fit a table. I love playing and would play every day, but I don't like going out after a long day of work, especially to a bar type scene, just not my thing. I would pick up a cue ever single day if I had access to a table.

Lately I've been seeing some progress from reading more on the subject and watching more pro matches. I also took a lesson from Scott Lee where I gained some great insights on my stroke and fundamentals and recently got a couple tips from a local guy that really helped me apply some of what I learned. Last weekend I played and my shot making ability had definitely jumped a notch.

So, right now, I feel like I'm making slow progress. Could make more if I spent more time at the table and I understand that, but that is okay for now, I'm working to change that in the somewhat near future at least.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

How long have you been playing and about how long has your game been relatively the same? Been playing for three years. Same in the last six months (or slightly worse) because of less table time.

Have you tried anything to pass that point? (Now or in the past) Yes, too much to list. Learning new stuff every week.

Is there anything you plan on or want to try to pass that hump? Get back to playing every day.

If you feel that you're still improving, is there anything in particular that you would attribute to that? Openess to new ideas. Ability to adapt others ideas to my game.

As per above.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing seriously for I'll say 3 years now and my game has never been the same from day to day, week to week, month to month. It's always different but I feel I'm young, motivated, and play enough to where most of my improvements are positive. If anything it's typically a one step backwards two step forwards type of thing, like when I try to change my stroke.

The way I've always gotten better is to get myself into harder games. When I first played on bar boxes that meant going to the local bar box tournament. Once I could contend with everyone there it was going to the local 9 ball tournament on 9 footers, which has a much higher caliber of players from way below my level (I'm about a B player) all the way up to some open level players who stop in sometimes. Now it's just playing a lot of one pocket and gambling a bit with those better players. The game has helped all other aspects of my play, especially stress management since the game is like banging your head against the wall a lot of the time.

I would attribute the fact that I love pool and that I really want to get better as the reason for improvement. Once I don't care as much or have kids or my eyes go completely, I don't imagine I'll improve much. And once that happens I'm sure I'll be okay with that because there will always be other cool stuff going on.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have yet to reach my potential.

I've been playing (regularly/seriously) maybe 5 years total. The first 4 years were between the ages of 14 and 18. That was over 20 years ago. Although I'd play once a year or so with my cousin, I didn't start getting back into really playing until about this time last year.

My game is still progressing, and since it's been such a long time, those gains are often huge now that I'm working on it. I know people scoffed last year when I told them I used to play...we've all heard it before...but they're believing me now because how far my game came in such short order.

I attribute my progress, mostly to the fact that I know that I still can. I know I'm still a long way off from my personal ceiling. I'd like to think that I'm making all the right moves to keep going. I've gotten professional instruction, I play leagues, tournaments and money matches. I train or practice or play pretty much every day. I mostly play opponents better than me. I don't watch tv...just pool videos (specifically old matches) on the internet.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A little surprising when I think about it, about 55 years. Could play right away but got serious though when I was maybe 15. At 16 dropped out of high school, (Got a GED though) and all I did was play pool.

Actually made money. Over the years owned pool rooms, built cues had a billiard supply, so pool has always been a part of my life. I at one point played very good but I doubt as good as I could have been.

It came to easy to me and I guess I was content, maybe even lazy, with the way I played and didn't do the extra work it would have taken to get to the next level. It was there for me, I hung around with top players but my time always seemed divided. I had other business interests.

It's funny, after not having played seriously in maybe a decade and a half, I just ordered a new pair of glasses to play and I want to play again. I get on the table and feel like I can play, whether that translates into being able to beat anyone is another story though.

Maybe just try a few tournaments and see what happens after some practice. Pool is something you can play into later years.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This July will be 53 years of playing pool......my game has been basically the same for the past 5 years because of my shoulder injuries.

Matt B.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing since 1961.
i played my best in the 1980s.played every day in competition.stayed sharp.
i don't play that good anymore as far as pocketing balls or position play.
But i think I play smarter now.
which makes up a little for declining skills.

Bar-Banger

Registered
Reply is inline below.

Been playing for 25 years, I look like a C- player on a bad day and B on a good day Was stuck at D+ for AGES as my local bar had fairly weak players and I was usually the best guy there. Started playing league and the guys on the #1 team grabbed me up from the team I was playing on and really stepped my game up decently.

At a solid C+ now and have a horrible time with speed control. I work on it when I get a chance to practice on my own but that rarely happens at the bar. Mentally I see the run and know to work backwards from problem balls but just controlling the speed to the small areas kills me. :)

I've recently taken a lesson when Scott Lee was in town and am working on my speed control and pre shot fundamentals. I was lining up in all different places behind the ball and shooting without being 100% on shots. I've really fixed the later two issues but speed control still kicks my ass.

When the competition wasn't beating me at BS bar pool.

Lesson and friends who are better taking their time to explain positional, pattern and defensive play.

Last edited:

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
7 years; 6 months (I haven't been playing much lately, maybe twice a month)

Yes, but I didn't have enough time to put the hours in.

Practice more.

When our APA team handicaps went too high and play was limited to certain players. Since I wasn't going to play, I lost interest in practicing.

Competing against higher skilled players in a tournament setting. A year ago, I would be nervous to play anyone that plays better than me. Now, I have no problems playing anyone. It's a learning experience. I have observed many highly skilled players play, but I didn't start improving until I put myself in the ring.

Also, recording matches is a great way to fix my errors. I remember why I did it, but it helps to see how I did it and what went wrong.

This was in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgDrJcCQSBE
Looking back, I would have shot things differently.

Good idea on recording..., you shoot a good stick btw..

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I've been playing about 4 years I still feel I'm getting better and better but I do hang out with a lot of monster players in stl and I seem too learn new things all the time and they help with that I also play a lot at home tourneys and apa even know I feel the apa is getting boring noww

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
John,

There's a trophy in my office that states I was the 1959 YMCA Junior Champion. For a seventy plus year old, been playing way too long! Peaked in 1991 or 1992. Finished second in the NYS Open 9 Ball in Binghamton, NY. Some might remember that event hosted by Florence Fuller at the Pocket Billiards Lounge. Was the toughest in the NE at the time.

My game steadily went downhill till, with the help of my friend Ron Casanzio, I learned to control my temper and temperment. Wasted all those years :angry: . Another friend, Dave Grau, used to aggravate me to no end with his paced play. Finally discovered he was right and my 8 ball game jumped a notch or so. Guess we're never too old to learn.

Truthfully, I really believe I'm playing better today than at any time in the past. With age comes maturity (I think). My eyesight has not failed me yet although the far end of a nine footer now looks a mile away. Yes I have to practice twice as hard to stay the same. Still gives me great joy to remind some of our younger players that old age and treachery beats youth and exuberance every time :eek: ! Just joking you know :sorry: .

Lyn

Banks

Banned
Truthfully, I really believe I'm playing better today than at any time in the past. With age comes maturity (I think). My eyesight has not failed me yet although the far end of a nine footer now looks a mile away. Yes I have to practice twice as hard to stay the same. Still gives me great joy to remind some of our younger players that old age and treachery beats youth and exuberance every time :eek: ! Just joking you know :sorry: .

Lyn

Not so sure you're joking! I know somebody in about the same situation that has said he's playing as well as he ever had, though i do think it's an overall estimate, since he did tell me his high run once, iirc. Need to pay him a visit soon.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If memory serves me the first time I rolled(no cue)a ball on a table I was 7 or 8 years old and hooked.
I started actually playing around 11 years old and by the time I was in high school I was playing every spare chance I got and that included when I was supposed to be in school.
Right now I have around 43 years under my belt.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Playing for about 45 years (with at least a 30 year layoff). I decided about 10 years ago to taking it up to the best I could play - improved quite a bit and have been level for about the last 5 years with very little practice.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little surprising when I think about it, about 55 years. Could play right away but got serious though when I was maybe 15. At 16 dropped out of high school, (Got a GED though) and all I did was play pool.

Actually made money. Over the years owned pool rooms, built cues had a billiard supply, so pool has always been a part of my life. I at one point played very good but I doubt as good as I could have been.

It came to easy to me and I guess I was content, maybe even lazy, with the way I played and didn't do the extra work it would have taken to get to the next level. It was there for me, I hung around with top players but my time always seemed divided. I had other business interests.

It's funny, after not having played seriously in maybe a decade and a half, I just ordered a new pair of glasses to play and I want to play again. I get on the table and feel like I can play, whether that translates into being able to beat anyone is another story though.

Maybe just try a few tournaments and see what happens after some practice. Pool is something you can play into later years.

Our story is very similar Macguy, except I have a few years on you !..I've been playing seriously, for over 65 years (just turned 80)..I took a 20 yr. hiatus, from about age 40 to 60, got a good job, and managed to earn a decent pension..Something pool can never provide !

I zeroed in on one pocket, and competed with the best players around at the time, with some measure of success..I played pretty decent well into my 70's, but finally gave it up for good, a few years ago..Its no fun when you can't do, what you used to take for granted !..Like you, I usually had a job or a business to support my family..3 boys and a girl, 11 grandkids, 5 great grandkids, and two great, great, grandkids. (last count)

I enjoyed my years on the road, and all the crazy experiences..However, I always felt I could have done better at something else, like maybe golf !..Its fun to remenise, and looking back, I made many life long friends, and have very few regrets.. For you young guys starting out, its a super tough way to make a living.. But if you love the game, ya gotta try...Good luck !

SJD

Last edited: