Pros and cons of refurbishing my McDermott C-21

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Hi everyone, I have a question. I have a McDermott C-21 that's in pretty good condition for a 30+ year old cue. It has one small ding in it near the points. Other than that, it just looks kind of old.

I've seen pictures of people that have sent their cues into McDermott and they've refurbished the cue. I have no plans of selling it, I have many other cues.

I'm just wondering if anyone has regretted refurbishing their cue? Does it diminish the value? I appreciate your thoughts, looking for pros & cons of doing it.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the value of the cue is important to you, you might want to have someone knowledgeable look at it first before you refurbish it. Some things are better left unfixed when it comes to cues (and many other old collectibles). So yes, refurbishing could diminish its value, but it depends. Better to have an expert look at it and be sure IMO.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not going to hurt the value on a McDermott. Find someone good, and pay them, it will like brand new, and if you do ever sell, most folks will appreciate pay good money for a nice looking cue, not a beat up one.

Yeah, I refinished a Burton Spain cue, and sold it to a Spain collector. Granted, Hercek did the refinish, but for McD, you only need a good local cue maker to do it.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
As a collector of McD's, I have seen some very good restorations done by some outside parties, and I have seen some not so good jobs done by some.

Being a C-21, and one of their most highly sought after cues, I would only consider using the McDermott team for such work. If it were one of the low end cues, I might consider whoever does it cheapest.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a collector of McD's, I have seen some very good restorations done by some outside parties, and I have seen some not so good jobs done by some.

Being a C-21, and one of their most highly sought after cues, I would only consider using the McDermott team for such work. If it were one of the low end cues, I might consider whoever does it cheapest.

McD does a refurb- refinish ,new wrap, and a new shaft 250!

Hard to beat that action!:smile:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got a small nick on a cherished cue. It bothered me enough to have it refinished. Glad I did it. To me it's the same as a door ding on a nice car.
My daily player is getting some marks but that's ok...it is my daily.
If you want to refinish your cue...do it.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone, I have a question. I have a McDermott C-21 that's in pretty good condition for a 30+ year old cue. It has one small ding in it near the points. Other than that, it just looks kind of old.

I've seen pictures of people that have sent their cues into McDermott and they've refurbished the cue. I have no plans of selling it, I have many other cues.

I'm just wondering if anyone has regretted refurbishing their cue? Does it diminish the value? I appreciate your thoughts, looking for pros & cons of doing it.

just my humble opinion, save the $250 and leave the cue as is.......

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Blue Book of cues:

C-21
1980- 1984 $500 - $1,850

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
As a daily player, I think its unrealistic to expect it not to get dings. Maybe refurbish it when it time to sell it.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
As a daily player, I think its unrealistic to expect it not to get dings. Maybe refurbish it when it time to sell it.

I agree unless there is a flaw that bothers your playing.
My C11 has a cork wrap and it had a couple scratches which bothered me.
I had a local cue maker replace the wrap and he also refinished it so it looks like new.
I think it was only $130 and it was worth every penny.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree unless there is a flaw that bothers your playing.
My C11 has a cork wrap and it had a couple scratches which bothered me.
I had a local cue maker replace the wrap and he also refinished it so it looks like new.
I think it was only $130 and it was worth every penny.

My C 11 is eventually going refurb

Dustry

Banned
the "c" series mcdermott cues and the "d" series are my favorite.
after i read your thread, i became curious, so... i visited the mcdermott retired cues website.
here's what i found.
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/timecapsulec.php

Attachments

• 4721b.jpg
    4721b.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 410

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C8&C11 mcdermott

Attachments

• 20150326_181412.jpg
    20150326_181412.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 515
  • ResizedImage_1426280319112.jpg
    ResizedImage_1426280319112.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 506

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Shiny and looking like new is what sells with pool cues. It's a shame the market is that way even with collector-grade cues, but that's the way 80-90% of the buyers want it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Shiny and looking like new is what sells with pool cues. It's a shame the market is that way even with collector-grade cues, but that's the way 80-90% of the buyers want it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the same goes with cars? Who wants a rusted 69 GTO when they can have a MINT condition one ?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The problem is people don't use common sense. There are only so many vintage unmolested cues of premium quality. Original szambotis and original bushkas in 90% or better condition should be 30 percent more than their refinished counterparts. It's about time the collectors market started to realize this as did baseball cards and comics. The hobby cannot advance without proper separation between all original premiums and refinished cues. What drives baseball cards are the PSAT tens and 9.5 grades. If cues had the same separation and distinction you would see a whole different market.

Joe

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk 2

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
And the same goes with cars? Who wants a rusted 69 GTO when they can have a MINT condition one ?

Well sure, definitely on a rusted one. What is interesting to me is how most cue buyers will want to put a modern refinish on a vintage collectible where the original finish from that period is there, just perhaps just a bit dull or maybe a few dents/dings. The cues will only be original once and mint & refinished should not have a value that's equivalent to mint & original or perhaps even near mint & original. Jmo.

Last edited: