How does your team handle paying for forfeited games?

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this discussion with my team captain and co-captain a few weeks ago.

My team's captain complained about the other team forfeiting a set because she said that she didn't want to get stuck with paying for the forfeited set on her own. She said that her previous teams stuck her with paying for forfeited sets (which mostly has to do with her lack of leadership in my opinion).

I explained to her that she should collect $2 additional dollars from the 4 team members that played that night.

The team's co-captain thought that the player that would have played the 5th game should have paid $8 since he would have had to pay if the other team didn't forfeit the game.

Fast-forward to tonight...

The team's captain & co-captain (wife & husband) aren't going to make it to tonight's session so we are going to have to forfeit our 5th game. I'm filling in as captain and I'm going to let tonight's players know that they'll have to pay $10 instead of $8 (which I doubt will be an issue).

I've heard various opinions...
1. The couple of opinions listed above.
2. The forfeiting team should have to pay for both team's match.
3. Everyone on the team (whether they play or not) should chip in to cover their team's forfeited match.
4. Etc.

What do you all think is the fairest way to handle paying for forfeited sets (when your team is the reason for the forfeit and when the other team is the reason for the forfeit)?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Don't pay out of your own pocket.

My advice re being nice and getting burnt.

If I had all the money league players and ops owe me, I could buy me a really nice cue, which I need badly now.

Jeff Livingston

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
A week ago our opponent forfeited the entire match, they didn't show but at least they called, anyways whenever something like that happens we all offer to kick in. It's a team thing. I don't know if it's a "responsible adults" thing or what it is, but we've been together so long we're pretty much family, so we all take it upon ourselves to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. I think it may have started years ago when our league fees were $3 per match, but every week it was understood that everyone would throw in $2. So if you played it was $5. All the money went into an account and our weekly fees were paid from that, if we wanted to enter a tournament the entry was paid from that. If we cashed we were just asked to throw back our entry fee and we always did plus extra. That fund financed quite a bit. We stopped doing that several years ago, but we understand that as a member of our team and of our family we all have a responsibility to each other. It's just gotta be done and we have to maintain our own house. If we have a situation like the other night it's wouldn't be unusual for one person to throw the captain or the money collector 3 $20's, then the rest of us will pick up his or her tab at the end of the night and maybe his fees for the next few weeks. It's just what we do, as a family we share, we always have. If you're going to be a part of a team or a family you have to learn to take care of each other and no one should mind doing it.

Let your team know before anything starts that everyone will be expected to help out, or as captain, you certainly don't have to put yourself up to play.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We either all chip in or, if we know we have money coming in for finishing high, the captain will pay for any forfeits and then pay himself back before paying out money won.
Works well for us.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We either all chip in or, if we know we have money coming in for finishing high, the captain will pay for any forfeits and then pay himself back before paying out money won.
Works well for us.

^^^^^^^^ this

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Everybody chips in an extra $1 the week following.

I have a rule on my team that I will cover your green fees for one week. You will owe that back before you get to play again. Never been burned with that policy as everybody knows that i'm personally covering them.

Note: It is not available to players in their first session ever playing pool. So many wash outs or flakes when it comes to new players.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they are that butt hurt over $2 then why are they playing to begin with?

I look at it like this and this is how I run my teams:

If it is a 5 player team, then that 5th player should be responsible for every week regardless of whether or not they show up.

If you have a team of 8 people and everyone shoots about the same amount over the session and at higher level tournaments shoot depending on how people "feel" there, then split it up.

If it is a team of 8 but 5 are the main players and will be the ones shooting in any higher level tournaments and the other 3 are just subs that shoot as needed, then it falls on the 5th missing player again.

This kind of goes along with winnings. We get paid X for each win. Any player that shot that night and paid to play is included in the split of that winning whether your a core 5 or not. You helped the team win, you earned it.

Hajidub

Registered
On one team I captained we maintained a foul jar. Foul (i.e. scratch, no object ball) and you drop a quarter in the jar. By the end of the session we had enough to pay for forfeits and a end-of-session BBQ (meat and stuff) at the park!

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On our team we build surplus by putting in an extra dollar a player every week. If we have a forfeit or are forced to play a ghost it comes out of the credit we've built up. At the end of the session the surplus is used to pay the league fees for the last couple of weeks. No one gets stuck.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On one team I captained we maintained a foul jar. Foul (i.e. scratch, no object ball) and you drop a quarter in the jar. By the end of the session we had enough to pay for forfeits and a end-of-session BBQ (meat and stuff) at the park!
This seems like an interesting idea. I'll bring it up with the team captain and see if it is something she'd be interested in implementing.