Mid Extension Wood Choice

will14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering a mid extension for my and cue and wondering if there's some cue makers or others who can talk about the difference, if any, there would be in the hit and feel of a maple or ebony extension? Would one feel more/less natural?

Thanks!

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering a mid extension for my and cue and wondering if there's some cue makers or others who can talk about the difference, if any, there would be in the hit and feel of a maple or ebony extension? Would one feel more/less natural?

Thanks!

Can be hard to keep your cue perfectly straight after this.
Might be better for you to just get a longer cue, personally I live the 60 inchers.
Or something in the back.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cue extension

Thanks!

I have made several, I make mine out of maple and I bore our the center to make them lite.

Balance is the issue..............
PM me if you want one made .

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
IMO, Ebony would be to heavy for an extension, unless they cored it, and that would probably raise the cost as well. You don't want something that heavy, unless you really want a forward heavy cue. Dont forget, it will change your balance point with anything you use. I use a 2-1/2" maple, for a couple years now, and I LOVE IT. If it's done right, you wont see much runout at the tip. Just don't expect it to be perfect. I also think that the Balance Rite is junk. I got both of mine from AZB'r "Newsheriffintwn"

Go with maple, and have it stained, if it needs to be black.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can be hard to keep your cue perfectly straight after this.
Might be better for you to just get a longer cue, personally I live the 60 inchers.
Or something in the back.

Is this true?

I was about to buy a 4 inch extension for my Southwest.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no

Is this true?

I was about to buy a 4 inch extension for my Southwest.

No its not I just got one from New Sheriff also and mine is straight and my cue
is as well. It's been a week or so and I put maybe 20hrs on it and all is fine.
Also I got mine in ebony I love the look, but it did give my cue just a hair forward
balance but I like it that way.

will14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No its not I just got one from New Sheriff also and mine is straight and my cue
is as well. It's been a week or so and I put maybe 20hrs on it and all is fine.
Also I got mine in ebony I love the look, but it did give my cue just a hair forward
balance but I like it that way.

Glad you like the ebony extension from newsheriff. I just ordered one. Curious, how much does it weigh and how long is the one you bought? I'm still kinda undecided between ebony and maple. leaning toward maple cause it should be lighter. But I care more about play-ability although I do like the look of ebony extensions I've seen people using.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Glad you like the ebony extension from newsheriff. I just ordered one. Curious, how much does it weigh and how long is the one you bought? I'm still kinda undecided between ebony and maple. leaning toward maple cause it should be lighter. But I care more about play-ability although I do like the look of ebony extensions I've seen people using.

I have a 4 inch ebony extension from him...I'm not sure exactly how heavy it is, but I'd estimate it's in the 3+ ounce range. That definitely puts on a forward balance, but I like it, too. The hit is beautiful and melodic. Been using it for about 8 months now, will never go back. He made it sight unseen, it's perfectly matched to my joint size and everything is laser straight.

I've had several strong players come up and ask to try it, and all thought so highly of it they asked me for contact info for newsheriff.

will14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, do you think it would hit significantly different if it were maple instead of ebony?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I not sure of the weight, I went with a 3 inch so my cue is 61 now. The Ebony matched
my collars and looks great and plays even better.

As far as weight goes I think if you have a flat face cue you might not have to have the
metal inserts in the extension which would make it lighter. Mine has the inserts, I'm playing with a steel joint Jensen and I love this set up.
New Sheiff does a great job and mine sight unseen, you'll be happy.