Jump Shots, do you like them or not?

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
I started playing pool when I was 13 and now I'm 25. I don't play in any leagues etc because I travel a lot but I would rank myself as an A player.

So here's the deal, I don't like jump shots and I don't use them. I wonder how you guys think about this?

Also, this has nothing to do with not being able to make jump shots or not willing to learn, I can jump.

Things I don't like about jump shots:

- They are noisy and break the cloth (if performed by someone who's not good at it), balls jump out of the table etc.

- People jump for any reason, even for simple shots, they go and get their jump cue, it makes them lazy and they often overlook better solutions because jumping is simpler.

- I find it super annoying if you are playing in a pool hall and there's someone practicing jump shots.

I just want to know what you guys think. Thanks:)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
They can be useful when used appropriately, for league players I think 9 out of 10 times they're unnecessary and poorly executed so much so that they result in a foul. They can be showy, impressive but they're rarely done right at the lower levels of pool

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I like jump shots, but only if you are going to use a full-sized cue to do it. Masse shots too.... no masse cues allowed. Sorry to those of you that purchased a jump or (even more foolishly) a Masse cue, no offense.

Further more, I do not entirely think its kosher for people to jump that often. i think its a rare case where one simply MUST jump a ball. Sure, its impressive if its done correctly and it sure does seem like a massive amount of time needed to master a skill that you will rarely ever need to use. So people that invest so much time in learning to jump tend to jump more than they need to... Please stop the violence. End the cycle of hatred for cloth.... cloth is people too... cloth lives matter.

We shall over-cut.

Not a fan of jumping or the testicularly-driven industry built up around this needless practice.

Regards,

Lesh

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't jump and never really practiced it. I would rather spend my time getting better at kicks and banks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to jump with my full cue back in the eighties.

Got a jump cue around 92.

Hardly played at all in the last 15 years.

Haven't jumped for years.

Started playing once a week.

Tried jumping last night. Didn't work...even with my jump cue. :angry:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if done with a regular full size cue.

Oh brother! Where do I start?
Though, I will spare you all my missive when it comes to jump cues.

Suffice it to say, I agree with Jazzbox here and a few others:
Only if executed with a regular size (playing) cue.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More detail please sir?

Oh brother! Where do I start?
Though, I will spare you all my missive when it comes to jump cues.

Suffice it to say, I agree with Jazzbox here and a few others:
Only if executed with a regular size (playing) cue.

So whats the difference? Most people who aren't pro's don't jump good anyway, sure they hit might the ball, but with no more control than a random kick, so whats the difference?

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love jump shots, if it is easier to jump the ball and make it than kicking the ball in or playing kick safe, then I choose to jump, especially in ring game when you do not know when you will get back to table.

I also jump into safes, its all about knowing your limitations and choosing the correct shot. Alot of players choose the incorrect shot, but that comes with experience. They have to make some bad shots to know they should look for alternate paths.

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shots are a great part of the game. The issue I have with them is the use of special "jump cues." It's way too easy to jump with them. Players should have to use their playing cue with its normal length. Then there is real skill involved. There is nothing worse than playing a great safety and then having your opponent pull out his jump cue and easily hop over the blocking balls.

That said, I use a jump cue because it is allowed. There is no reason to handicap yourself when other players are going to use it against you. Changing the rule would be my ideal fix.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is allowed, I will jump when appropriate. There are times one may prefer kicking if you can stick the CB. I practice both kicking and jumping.

Really don't care one way or the other.

Al

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having a jump cue and being able to use the jump shot when necessary. There are times when jumping is the only way to get a good hit and there are times when jumping is the best way to make the shot and get shape for the next shot. Sometimes I kick instead of jumping...it just depends on the situation. I don't mind if my opponent jumps...a lot of people complain about jump cues and jumping but as several people have noted, it still takes skill to execute correctly and to actually make balls consistently or get shape after getting the hit. If someone gets out their jump cue and gets a good hit or makes the shot after I played safe...then I did not play a good enough safe. It is part of the game and has been for some time now.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shots are a great part of the game. The issue I have with them is the use of special "jump cues." It's way too easy to jump with them. Players should have to use their playing cue with its normal length. Then there is real skill involved. There is nothing worse than playing a great safety and then having your opponent pull out his jump cue and easily hop over the blocking balls.

That said, I use a jump cue because it is allowed. There is no reason to handicap yourself when other players are going to use it against you. Changing the rule would be my ideal fix.

Not to be obnoxious and to only make a comment, if the player can jump it wasn't a great safety. Against good players, you need to lock the ball up.

Al

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like jumping but dont perfer it. There are usually several ways to kick at a ball, but generally only one way to jump at it. I only use jumping as a last resort. This being said, I dont see a reason why it should be removed from the game. Yes, it can increase the chances of damaging the table if performed improperly, or even if it is performed properly, but that shouldn't remove a dimension of the game. The game should evolve and change with evolution of equipment and etc... and putting restrictions on having a jump/masse cue are not really allowing the game to evolve. It stagnates development. Imagine playing the game on the really old tables, really old balls, really old constructions of cues as opposed to what we use today. This has allowed others of lesser skill to enjoy the game as much as others. You may not perfer one thing or another, but I dont think it should infringe on others using better tools. I know I'll be reamed for the analogy, but imaging building a house with a stone hammer, as opposed to modern day hammers, or even nail guns. The game evolves and so must the equipment, or is that vice versa? Just MHO. :)

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Got to adjust and adapt to the current game, too many old timers complain about jump shots, and short jump cues.. I am like, o'well, get over it.

Too many times I hear them complain, and complain if I jump, I am like you did nto specify before the bet that we could not jump so do not be mad that I just took you're money because your safety game came from the 80's. :D