From No 1 Hole Tournaments to weekly

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Seems like 1 hole is becoming the game of choice for the many high entry tournaments. Johnnyt

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Yep. And 10-ball is deader than a door nail. I haven't heard a peep out of that in a while. Maybe when the cold weather comes back we will.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely can't say I'm sad ��. Love me some one hole!

I wonder how the one hole tourney at Top Hat is doing now that summer is here. Maybe Bmore Taul Paul could chime in and give us some updates?

bmoretallpaul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely can't say I'm sad ��. Love me some one hole!

I wonder how the one hole tourney at Top Hat is doing now that summer is here. Maybe Bmore Taul Paul could chime in and give us some updates?

Not so well actually. May have to put it off. Thinking about just have a $100 dollar entry tournament in the fall. Would like to see if people would show up for at least a 1,000 dollar pay day plus Calcutta. Thoughts

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so well actually. May have to put it off. Thinking about just have a $100 dollar entry tournament in the fall. Would like to see if people would show up for at least a 1,000 dollar pay day plus Calcutta. Thoughts

Don't get discouraged Taul Paul, you know good and we'll how it gets around here during summer months. You remember how it got over at Running Out during the summer. I'm sure interest will be back up come fall. I really only kept tabs for your first two tournies, how were the rest of them?

As to your other idea - yeah I think a big entry ( $100 at least or whatever and the Calcutta should be a huge draw as well ) would be a great idea quarterly and would be very successful. Don't limit the field, take anyone and everyone that shows up. You KNOW the field of players we will get with something like that. We have all the usual suspects as well as the DC and NOVA crowd and probably others too depending on the date it's scheduled for and what other big events are going on. If you schedule around the US Open and other big East Coast events you'll get a bunch of the pros as well as their entourage . You remember who all used to come in Daddys a couple weeks around the Open. ( just make sure the word gets around and that won't be too hard ).

Once fall hits, have you considered a weekly league / tournament type thing? Something to the effect of maybe 12 weeks at $25 entry. Pay out 1st, 2nd, 3rd with an 80% payout each week. Then have a free entry top 8 or 4 " playoff " tournament from the " points accumulates throughout the session and it could coincide right around the " BIG " Quarterly tournaments? Just an idear. We definitely have the one pocket players for some of this stuff.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

I love the idea!

Just make it a race to 3 on both winner and loser side. If 16 players or less!!!

or

Race to 4 single elimination. 16 players or more then single elimination longer race

KD

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Don't get discouraged Taul Paul, you know good and we'll how it gets around here during summer months. You remember how it got over at Running Out during the summer. I'm sure interest will be back up come fall. I really only kept tabs for your first two tournies, how were the rest of them?

As to your other idea - yeah I think a big entry ( $100 at least or whatever and the Calcutta should be a huge draw as well ) would be a great idea quarterly and would be very successful. Don't limit the field, take anyone and everyone that shows up. You KNOW the field of players we will get with something like that. We have all the usual suspects as well as the DC and NOVA crowd and probably others too depending on the date it's scheduled for and what other big events are going on. If you schedule around the US Open and other big East Coast events you'll get a bunch of the pros as well as their entourage . You remember who all used to come in Daddys a couple weeks around the Open. ( just make sure the word gets around and that won't be too hard ).

Once fall hits, have you considered a weekly league / tournament type thing? Something to the effect of maybe 12 weeks at $25 entry. Pay out 1st, 2nd, 3rd with an 80% payout each week. Then have a free entry top 8 or 4 " playoff " tournament from the " points accumulates throughout the session and it could coincide right around the " BIG " Quarterly tournaments? Just an idear. We definitely have the one pocket players for some of this stuff.

That's the payout format they were using for the weekly Sunday 9 ball tournament at Fairfax Revolutions (Fast Freddie's)...I really liked that event, but had been skipping for a while...was disappointed last Sunday when I went in and found that Summer had killed it for now. :(

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the payout format they were using for the weekly Sunday 9 ball tournament at Fairfax Revolutions (Fast Freddie's)...I really liked that event, but had been skipping for a while...was disappointed last Sunday when I went in and found that Summer had killed it for now. :(

Yeah I think it has a good shot at doing well, but as we all know summer is just slow everywhere pretty much. It will pick up in the fall, and we do have TONS of one hole players round these parts so I hope Tall Paul runs with at least his idea - I'm sure it will be awesome! I keep saying this but that might REALLY cause me to come out of retirement lol ☺

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
What's the proposed format? Race to three double elimination? My nose is starting to itch...:grin: It's a bit of a haul for me, but I might point my pony north...

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the proposed format? Race to three double elimination? My nose is starting to itch...:grin: It's a bit of a haul for me, but I might point my pony north...

No idear as of yet, I think all Tall Paul said was a hondo for entry and have a calcutta.

West Point, where are you coming from? Don't tell me West Point lol

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woodbridge, VA.

Oh, well that's not so bad then - of course TOTALLY depends on the traffic. Being anywhere around NOVA and trying to go anywhere whether close or far is a total PITA when it comessage to that whole area. Weekends might not be too too bad though.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

1 pocket format? I think thats the game everyone pays their entry fee then goes to sleep for the weekend. :thumbup:
I suppose there is a possibility that it is not really that boring, I am not sure, its just that it looks so boring that I cant seem to find it in my reserves to even try the game.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As well it should be..It is the best gambling game on a pool table! :wink:

I agree SJD, one hole is by far my favorite game. One thing I've found over time is make sure regardless what the bet that you play an actual race. Those by the game and ahead sets can take ABSOLUTELY FOREVER! Speaking only for myself, if your not winning or losing the chez it just takes all the fun out of it for me. NO SIR, they can keep that back and forth crap!

I will however admit there are times when an ahead set makes more sense ( from a gambling sense ). Such as if you're playing with scared money you want to make that barrel or two last as long as you can - till you catch gear and what not. BUT; IMHO, if you're short like that then you probably shouldn't be playing in the first place. I know I'm not trying to get into a game against someone that ONLY has one or two barrels either. Whether it's for $100 or $10,000 the amount doesn't matter at all - it's all about the barrels lol.