Silver Member
at onepocket.org we are discussing this is legal or not
and someone posted that it is acceptable in straight pool
your thoughts
bridge ...legal or not.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 57 years of playing pool I have never seen a bridge used that way.
Legal? I have no clue.
But I think not having it on the playing surface might mean something.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as there is a legal stroke done and nothing is used as an aiming help (permanently positioned until after the stroke) - this is legal to do, why would it not?

I've seen people in tournaments stacking the bridges. No problem.

Cheers.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the WPA WSR, on use of equipment:

(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.​

It is not a standard use of equipment to use chalk to help make a bridge. I suppose a second bridge could be used in place of the chalk.

I think the use shown should otherwise be legal since pool seems never to have as extensive a range of bridges available as for snooker.

The text of the equipment spec does mention the bridge head being used to support the cue, but I think the wording does not exclude other uses, such as stacking bridges.

Bottom line: ask the ref or TD. They will be calling/not calling the foul.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The configuration of the bridges is up to the player.

Bob -- Is the sentence I quoted above new with the 2016 revision? It seems a bit unclear.

Also note, from 1.3 Player's Use of Equipment -- "The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended."

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks bob for tne reply
the complete rules from a link above is
equipment rules.jpg
so i guess the question since the cue is not being shot thru the bridgehead is the bridge being used as intended??
the use of the chalk in this particular case makes it illegal since that definitely is not the intended use for chalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob -- Is the sentence I quoted above new with the 2016 revision? It seems a bit unclear.

Also note, from 1.3 Player's Use of Equipment -- "The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended."

The sentence about the configuration of the bridges being up to the player has been there since January, 2008.

Another example of an unusual use of the bridge is one I've seen a couple of times by snooker players (well, it's a rest). Grip the normal bridge stick as if it were a cue about a foot from the end. Place your knuckles of the bridge grip hand on the cloth. Raise the head of the bridge until the butt end of the bridge stick touches the cloth. Place your cue stick on the upraised bridge head and shoot.

Personally, I think as long as the player is using the bridge (or two bridges) to support the cue stick there is no problem. That is the intended purpose and a close reading of 1.3 will note that "or" rather than "and" is used.

On a related topic, I've seen a player put a hand towel over the pocket liner of a corner pocket he had to bridge over because that liner was the cheap, gummy variety you see on some brands of tables. He did not want to get gummy crap on his shaft. His opponent tried to call a foul. Similarly, a local room had tables on which the feather strips were a little low so the rail cloth/wood boundary of the rail, where your shaft rests on rail shots, had an exposed sharp edge. Each rail shot at speed would ding the shaft, assuming a standard (Mosconi) rail bridge. I didn't think of it before they fixed the tables, but a rail bridge pad (towel) would have been a reasonable solution.

I suppose that the regulations need some kind of allowance for taking reasonable but perhaps somewhat unusual measures against lousy equipment. The method or measure needs to be available to both players.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the discussion about the very same setup of mechanical bridges with the EPBF ref about 2 years back and the call would be foul in this case as the equipment was not intented to be used this way. Even without the chalk it would be foul. WPA rules are clear on this:

1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not
permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are
considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should
discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be
used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended.

(See_6.15_Unsportsmanlike_Conduct 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)

(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as
break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to
increase the length of the stick.
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own
chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.

(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand function.
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the
referee.

You can use two mechanical bridges to support ONLY the cue, to use the bridges to support your hand is not allowed as it is not on the list of allowed use of equipment.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use two mechanical bridges to support ONLY the cue, to use the bridges to support your hand is not allowed as it is not on the list of allowed use of equipment.

I agree with you, but for discussion purposes, most people do rest their hand on the bridge while using it, thus the bridge is "supporting the hand". Usually, the cue is also supported by the bridge, but at a different location (the end location).

In the pic above, what is different is that the cue is resting on the hand, not resting on the bridge......in other words, the hand being on the bridge is not the issue.

EDIT - a possible alternate answer would be: if you dont put the cue through the "antlers" you are not using the bridge as intended.

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...a possible alternate answer would be: if you dont put the cue through the "antlers" you are not using the bridge as intended.

But that's where the "or" comes in:

"The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended."​

PoolFool

Judge me by my size do u?
Silver Member
I believe it was Tony Robles who told me about someone trying to use a bridge this way in a tournament and it was deemed illegal. Equipment must be applied for it's intended use as the rule states and the mechanical bridge was never made to be used in this fashion. Using the triangle/rack to prop up your hand to elevate it is also illegal in tournament play.