(#16)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member
ddg45 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddg45 View Post
Good evening folks. I know there are a lot of Joss fans out there but I was wondering...I'm thinking of buying a Joss but I'm a little concerned about their warranty. As far as I can tell it's weak compared to others in the industry? All the other quality made-in-USA cue companies such as McDermott, Viking (I know, they're more of a mass-produced product) but also Schon, OB, and Pechauer have lifetime warranties, and most include warpage. The Joss warranty seems pretty restricted and to me it indicates they're not willing to stand behind their product like the others. It may not be a big deal to many and I know I'm a little OCD, but am I wrong or have others had the same concern and bought something else? Thanks for your feedback.
I've had some Joss users get really defensive about my question above and talk about what a legend Dan Janes is, and that's fine, but I was actually mocked for thinking a better warranty would be a good idea. For people who've had nothing but great experiences using Joss cues I would expect you to be loyal. However, below is a post on Joss's Facebook page from an unhappy customer of theirs they refused to help. I've heard other similar stories regarding Joss cues, but I haven't heard anything like this from Pechauer, OB, or McDermott customers. This is exactly my concern, and I don't believe I will support a company that treats their customers like this.
" May 15, 2017
I recently sent my Joss Cue back to the manufacturer due to the shaft splitting in half in a way that seemed abnormal, and possible a defect. I was quite disappointed when I got a call from Dan at Joss, advising me they have no lifetime warranty, nor were they willing to offer any assistance, other than charging full price for a new shaft. To top it all off, after I paid to have the cue shipped there, they expected me to foot the bill for them to send it back. For anyone looking to purchase a new cue, I would think twice about choosing Joss. I would certainly check into a company that stands behind their workmanship and at least makes an effort to keep their customers satisfied."

Old
  (#17)
ddg45
AzB Bronze Member
ddg45 is on a distinguished road

08-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
The "lifetime" warranty is a marketing tool, and not the reason I would buy a particular cue. I suppose it comes in handy for some at times. I have a Joss merry widow and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Joss cue.
A Hyundai has a longer warranty than any other make including Acura, Lexus, Mercedes and Cadillac. They're good vehicles, but aren't better vehicles than many other brands with a shorter warranty. Nor do they necessarily have better customer service.

Old
  (#18)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2017, 06:27 PM

Broken shaft? I have heard similar stories about all the makers you mention. Customer service failures, unsatisfied customers, refusals to cover something on warranty. Pretty standard for anybody selling any product.

Do you understand such anecdotal evidence is generally not a good indicator?

You got that from their Facebook page? And they didn't delete it?

Sounds pretty honest to me.

What's odd is that you reject the most experienced opinions. I have over 85 cues. I collect and have intensively studied their construction for many years. In addition I follow the market and technology developments closely and have for many years.

I am not a "Joss fan" and I am not defensive about Joss. Just honest and outspoken.

Are you aware of what's inside any of the cues you are talking about? At all? I would think that should be very important to you.

The most expensive part of the Joss is inside the butt. You can't even see it. https://josscues.com/the-joss-way/cu...oss-way-today/

You seem to be focusing on the shaft warranty. Are you aware you can buy a Joss without a shaft and use a shaft from another manufacturer?

For the public record the OP PMed me and does not want my opinion. He seems to feel I am "negative".

I am honest. That's all. No more. No less. If I don't know, I'll tell you. If I do, I'll tell you.

Joss quality is excellent and their quality control is excellent. Their warranty? I don't even look at warranties on such things as cues.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#19)
philly
AzB Gold Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddg45 View Post
By coincidence...I own a Hyundai Sonata and it's been a great car but recently had some suspension problems that would have cost $hundreds repaired for free with a smile. I was glad I had that 100,000 mile warranty then.
First off Hyundais have a 100,000 mile powertrain waranty. Engine, transmission , drive system (fwd or awd). You got lucky somehow. Good on ya.

Secondly you won't find a more upstanding cue maker than Dan Janes. I just picked up a custom from him thet we designed together at this years expo. Exceeded my expectations in the aesthetics department as I gave him leeway to be creative. He is Mr. Overdeliver. Answers your questions promptly through the whole process and takes incredible pride in his product.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: