USBA Board of Directors Nominations

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a copy of an email received 7/31.

Nominations for the upcoming Board of Directors Election are being accepted.

Attention All Current and Former Members!

The Nomination Period for the upcoming election to the USBA Board of Directors runs from August 1st to September 1st 2017. There are seven (7) Director positions on the governing board of the USBA. Board membership requires participation in policy-making decisions, promotional and sponsorship efforts, tournament planning, fund raising and more.
The USBA is Now Accepting Nominations

To make a nomination or to be nominated you must be a USBA member in good standing. Directors must also be a USBA member in good standing in order to serve. If you are interested in serving as a Director or would like to nominate a worthy candidate, please send the following information to secretary@usba.net:

Name of Nominee:
USBA Member Since (If known):
Nominee Address:
Nominee email address: (required)
Nominee Phone #: (required)
Your Name (if different than nominee):
If you are not the Nominee, is the Nominee aware that you have proposed his/her name?: (Yes/No)

For more information on the USBA nomination procedure and the election, review sections 4.03 to 4.06 of the USBA constitution on the USBA website (https://www.usba.net/about/constitution-by-laws/74-about-the-usba/317-usba-constitution). If you have further questions please call Andy Janquitto, Treasurer at 410-599-8177.

Thanks for your participation and your continued support.

The USBA Board of Directors

P.S. If you need to renew your membership in order to submit a nomination, run for a position, or vote in the election, please click to be re-directed to the USBA Membership Renewal Page. You will be asked to login.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a note of interest I hope.
There's over 100 views on this and nobody has nominated themselves or anyone else.

Personally I'd like to see new Board Members, New Ideas, New/Fresh Energy. My feelings won't be hurt if I get replaced. I'll still continue to do what I'm doing.

Some of the 100+ have got to have some interest in helping the game. Step up and join the effort.
The water is fine. It's not a 40hr/wk commitment.

Any questions, comments or suggestions -- PM or Email Secretary@usba.net

Thanks for looking,

Tom Paley
Potential
Ex-Secretary USBA

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
How about giving us a definition of what it means to be a board member

What is expected of you,and what your supposed to be accomplishing
I for new don't have a clue

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about giving us a definition of what it means to be a board member

What is expected of you,and what your supposed to be accomplishing
I for new don't have a clue

I'll just give you my view. First of all I was not elected to the Board by the membership. Jim Shovak called me and asked if I would relieve him of some of his duties when he became President. At that time he was Secretary and Treasurer, and now also President. My first question was similar along with "What's the time commitment? I have a business to run."

Travel is minimal but Board Members are "encouraged" (not required) to attend at the very least the Nationals since this is where a Member Meeting/Forum is called to discuss USBA matters and get comments, suggestions and ideas, *****es from the Membership. I've not traveled to this unless there was a Member Meeting Scheduled.

There's a Board Forum on the web site that regular members don't see. That's normally where the Board brings up topics of the day or month. We discuss most things there. If a vote is required its done with a voice vote per say on this forum.
When a vote is called, typically there's a 3 or 4 day voting period to allow enough time for thinking and finding time to devote to it.

The Constitution lays out the duties of the Officers of the Board. President/Chairman and Secretary. i believe the Treasurer is not an Officer and can be appointed from outside the organization. But historically our Treasurer has been approved by the Board from within the Elected Board. Its just not required.

I'm fairly active in this and only spend between 30 minutes and 5 hours a week depending on mostly phone calls and emails these days. We've streamlined or shall we say eliminated some of the manual work of the Secretary position by automating membership renewals via the website. I no longer maintain the member database or do card mailings. Cards can be printed at time of joining or renewal.. Membership status can be seen on the site after a log in. The Secretary no longer has to receive Tournament Players lists and report back to the Tourney Director who is, and is not a member. This was always tough since the database software requires absolute perfection for a search. That's officially gone for this position although I still do member status reports to Directors when asked, and its much easier now than then.

The Chairman/ President has the most responsibility. I can't speak too much on it since I haven't lived it. Managing Tournament Schedules/conflicts. (a good problem I wish we had) Managing and resolving issues, planning Tour Events and the Nationals, Deciding along with Board Approvals how Money should be allocated.

Each year we send our Champion(s) to 1-3 International Tournaments. The Board must approve the amount of support ($) for these events and these players. Sometimes it becomes not so easy of a decision with a skimpy budget. Wish it were different.

Other than that, all Board members are expected to support their Regional Tournaments and encourage rooms to hold tournaments plus work to drive up Memberships. This is where the USBA generates 95% of its operating funds.
This last point is key.

Bottom Line: Actually Work to grow the USBA and 3-Chshion. Wherever and Whenever you can.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
id like to see an effort to promote ALL carom and not just 3c

ive said it so many times, i think 3c is far to difficult complex a game to introduce the general public to
not that the small games aren't challenging

but they can get the concept much quicker and start smacking the balls around sooner without having a brain freeze

straight rail easy concept,touch the other balls with yours, keep em close
1 cushion easy concept ,1 rail before touching both balls, keep em close

we also need more small tables to help grow in this aspect

cant shove teens on giant tables playing 3c

start em small tables, start em on straight rail

korea and belgium can becuase they have the infostructur, the talent, to be able to teach kids properly

Last edited: