3C shot question

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After years of playing pool, I've settled into one pocket. Then I've been bitten by the 3C bug, and am converting over to carom considering how happy this game makes my brain feel lol. I also love the community of people.

Anyway, I plan on getting a table, and I am refinishing my basement to fit a full-size 5x10. In the meantime I do not have access to a table regularly. I've been playing 3c on virtual pool 4, and though it doesn't do much for me execution wise, it has been very helpful in helping me learn and identify the correct shots and angles. The UNDO feature is golden for practicing. Mentally I've seen a big improvement in the past month between watching as many matches as I can and playing VP4 casually.

I've attached a shot I can not figure out. Any help on this one??

Thanks

Nate

Attachments

• shot1.jpg
    shot1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 222

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Bank the white into the yellow and that will send it into the red

I've done it a few times

Attachments

• IMG_20170815_212727.jpg
    IMG_20170815_212727.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 220

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It's a pretty tough position

Or you might try something off the red,
Long short, red, long Yellow
has a built in safety if you miss the yellow and leave him snug in the rail

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could play it off the yellow with right draw as a natural (bottom, left, top, red). You might have to elevate to get it long enough. The top players frequently will elevate a lot if the first object ball is close and they need to stretch an angle.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
would this work??
off the yellow
bob is this the shot you meant??
3c wwyd4.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Long rail, short rail, off the yellow....hard.
Three ways of making it...three, five, or seven rails.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
would this work??
off the yellow
bob is this the shot you meant??
View attachment 467493

Larry; you have a better chance by playing a, 'Kiss shot' off the right side of the yellow!

To play as Bob described, you will need to play a, 'Pique shot!'

The CORRECT shot is 3 cushion off the red ball.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Hard and thick for that one right bill?
More than half a ball

I didn't even seen it
Simplicity

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry; you have a better chance by playing a, 'Kiss shot' off the right side of the yellow!

To play as Bob described, you will need to p lay a, 'Pique shot!'

thanks bill

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To play as Bob described, you will need to play a, 'Pique shot!'

That is what my hack arm wants to do too...a long natural off the L) side of the red.

Even in straight rail, a 3railer counts.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And here is the natural off red. There is a kiss you have to avoid.

CropperCapture[42].jpg

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
And here is the natural off red. There is a kiss you have to avoid.

View attachment 467529

No kiss if played CORRECTLY!

Two thirds ball!

A little secret on these types of shots when the CB is close to the cushion, and you need to draw the CB the first long cushion, (as diagrammed).

"Grip the cue 2-3" forward on the butt, it helps to perpetuate a short downward stroke, which is needed here!"

Nokissnatural.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No kiss if played CORRECTLY!

Two thirds ball!

A little secret on these types of shots when the CB is close to the cushion, and you need to draw the CB the first long cushion, (as diagrammed).

"Grip the cue 2-3" forward on the butt, it helps to perpetuate a short downward stroke, which is needed here!"

View attachment 467533

You are showing the cue ball arriving at the red with follow as you can tell by the angle between the cue ball and the red ball. Was that your intention?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
You are showing the cue ball arriving at the red with follow as you can tell by the angle between the cue ball and the red ball. Was that your intention?

The CB actually bounces off the left side of the red ball in a straight line to the ensuing cushions! You need ti keep the OB and the CB on a short leash to score. The CB has to maintain that downward thrust thru the red ball,

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about VirtualPool, but the best simulator I've ever found is here:

http://laurent.buchard.pagesperso-orange.fr/

The page is in French but the actual .zip file you'll have to download and extract is here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/laurent.buchard/billard6.zip

It's then literally just a Windows .exe file you double-click, doesn't even require installing.

The physics are amazing and I've been using it for years. Fantastic tool.

I have no idea if me posting a link to some executable file violates any forum rules, I guess delete this if so.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I can reach the white maybe left handed, got to keep an eye out for double hit. The shot may be off the red but I was looking at going off the white with outside spin. Definitely not off white with inside that would have to be artistic masse. Correction I looked from another angle off the red for sure.