Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm actually a bit surprised by the liberal pocket size and short shelf on your table. Some folks might call it an 8 footer with "buckets". I always envision Willy Mosconi running 526 balls on a table like yours. Is there a reason you practice and play on a table with these characteristics instead of a more challenging one? It looks like your room has quite a bit of space for a nine footer.
That is the table I bought when I was living in a much smaller place. If you have seen any of my older videos in the dark basement with stone walls, you'll recognize the table.

Also, an 8' table with big pockets is ideal for filming for pool DVD projects. It takes a lot less time to get footage on difficult shots that might require 10-times as many attempts on a larger table with tight pockets. The VEPS series I did with Tom Ross would have taken forever to film on a really tough table. The 8' foot size is also better when trying to get different camera angles for the DVDs.

I agree with you that the pockets on my table are "buckets" (although, they play a little tighter than they look, especially compared to my league's Valley bar boxes, where the corner pockets truly are buckets even though they are physically smaller and look much tighter with how they are cut).

I do have a goal of achieving a Doctorate of Pool within the next year. If I reach this goal, I'll post the 9' table videos. I think I'll be more proud of the Pool Doctorate than the Engineering Doctorate when I achieve my goal. Wish me luck.

Also a question about the stop shot drill in exam 1. It looks like you have the line directed off center slightly to allow you to roll over to the rail instead of shooting right to the back of the pocket? This makes a few of them not true stop shots. Had the rail not been there to bounce back off of the cue ball looks like it would have rolled out of the zone. Was this line off center or were you cheating the pocket to achieve this? Or did you just miss the stop shot? I thought stop shots stopped, not rebound off the rail? Did you use a laser to line it up? Inquiring minds want to know.
In the first version on Exam I, we actually required that the CB not touch the rail for a true stop shot, but we decided to go with the current version, where rail contact is allowed. Using the rail increases the margin for error, and smart players will know how to take advantage of this. That's part of the challenge with some of the drills ... sometimes "knowledge" and creativity can be helpful. We cover a lot of "hot tips" and advice along these lines in the BU DVD series. Another good example where you can increase your margin for error is the follow shot drill in Exam I. Deflecting the CB off the long rail above the side pocket is a much better approach, and playing to come off the end rail increases the margin for error with speed significantly.

Thank you for you input and comments.

Have you taken the exams yet? Should we expect your score (and video?) soon?

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I took Exam I on a 9' Diamond pro-cut and got a 65.

F1 (cut shot): 10
F2 (stop shot): 10
F3 (Follow): 8 -- I think I would usually get a 10 on this.
F4 (Draw): 6 -- The draw part of my stroke was pretty good, but I failed to hit the OB squarely enough a few times and went wide (instead of long or short)
F5 (Stun): 7 -- I got stuck on Shot 3 a few times.
F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Need to practice this one! Especially shot 4.
F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- I missed #1 twice! This is where I lost all my points. I should be able to get 8 out of the first four shots.
F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I think I set this up as a thinner cut than the sketch, which seems to make it a lot harder (but it makes Shot 5 easier).

On Exam 1, I think would average about 75-80 after maybe 2 or 3 more tries. I would expect to get 60-70 on Exam 2 with a bit of practice. I might just barely be able to defend my dissertation, so to speak.

Thanks for posting this.
Cory
After you get the score you want on Exam I, and after you take Exam II, please post your BU score so I can add you to the list in the first post of this thread. And if you have access to a video camera, please post the videos, in which case I can grant you a diploma and send it to you for free.

If you do as well as you predict, you can be the first BU Doctorate of Pool.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doc Dave watched all the videos on youtube , one suggestion. at the beginning of the 1st video you pitch the BU and what it is, does and why. thats the 3 key points to sell your wares. good job.
Thanks; although, I hope the videos also make it clear that we're not just selling stuff. One point of the videos was to show that everything people need to use the exams and rate themselves is all on the website and free. Only people who want an official diploma and/or instructional DVDs need to pay anything. I didn't mean to push the diploma/DVD marketing angle too much, but maybe I did.

Problem is at the beginning of the other 4 you repeat too much of that pitch. I know you have to have a explanation at the beginning of each video because people might not watch them in order or all at once-like i did. But its too redundant and should be edit down a bit on 2,3,4,5. Still explain Bu but in a more succinct manor.
I appreciate the input, but I'm done with video editing for a while. If people don't like the intro marketing blurb, they can easily skip it. I do that all of the time when I watch YouTube videos.

more importantly i like the "target pool" concept, i shoot practice drill likes that, i pot the ball thats automatic, i'm more interested in where the CB stops, shooting drills like that, is my favorite tpye of practice and effective when i'm working on pool and not mu stroke or other things.
I'm glad you like the target drills. I like them too. The target makes the position-play challenges much more fun and motivating.

over all yes very good, i hope it does well for you
Thanks!

Have you taken the full exams yet? If so, what was your score?

I was hoping more people would share their results and comment on how well they think the BU rating system works.

Thanks again,
Dave

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure the videos are stored as JPEG said:
My daughter got something figured out to shorten the time. I won't be the first Doctorate because I don't have a 9' at home, and I'm not going to set up the table at the pool room with stickers and pay over $8 and hour to do it there. If they saw me putting stickers on their poor equipment, they would have a fit. They're funny that way. The owner and mngr of one room, and the mngr of the other room know nothing about pool. He almost barred one guy for laying his cue on the table! (they lightened up on that one now, thank goodness!)

JC

Coos Cues
Also, anyone know the best way to upload videos to youtube? My camera has a memory card that I put in the computer to upload to my computer. That only takes a minute or two. However, when I go to upload that to youtube, they say it will take 8-9 hours!!?? I have it on my comp. as jpeg.

Download a free program called "freemake" found here:http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html

And follow the instructions on this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXm-OvW_jQ

That should get your video files down to a manageable size to upload.

JC

JC

Coos Cues
Have you taken the exams yet? Should we expect your score (and video?) soon?

Catch you later,
Dave

I'm stuck out of town for a while away from my "girlfriend" (that's what my wife calls my table). When I get back of course I will take the exam. But concerning the video. For the sake of keeping it real I understand folks would rather watch grass grow or paint dry than another player doing drills. I know I would.

JC

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Boy did I have a lot of fun with this. Not because I did well, quite the contrary...I was quite sure going into it that I would do poorly. I simply love the content and the structure.

I didn't even try to keep score, as I knew it would be bad. I spent about 90 minutes working on the drills from the first course.

F1 (cut shot): I did OK, for me. Still poor results, but I wasn't surprised.

F2 (stop shot): Again, OK for me, still not good.

F3 (Follow): 8 -- I felt that I did fairly well on this one, again for my ability. Which leads to....

F4 (Draw): 6 -- I did quite poorly on this one. Draw at distance has always been a challenge for me, and tonight was no exception.

F5 (Stun): 7 -- I was pleasantly surprised with how I did with this. Still wouldn't be a good score, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- This was my biggest surprise of the night. Going into it, I felt this would be my biggest challenge, and I did better than expected.

F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I didn't get to this one.

Realize that I am what I consider to be a mediocre APA 5. This was on a 9-footer with moderately tight pockets. After a couple more sessions of work, I will actually keep score for real, and post it accordingly.

I am really thrilled to have this material to work with, in this format. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get back to it some more. Thanks again, folks.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4

That damn wagon wheel was hard. I think I missed about 8 in a row at one point.

And seeing myself on video I see how bad my stroke is. :eek: It's kinda like when you hear a recording of yourself and you think "do I sound like THAT?"

This is my test 2, score 56. http://youtu.be/bUuq-0Y-R6k

I only got 3/10 on the safeties.

Total score: 132.

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dr. Dave. great instructions, and good spin on pool. I do apologize if i miss read it somewhere, but i would like the pro status degree to be reserved to actual field experience, in lieu of in home table achievement, such as winning a major local tournament couple of times, or competing with pros and winning some matches.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... anyone know the best way to upload videos to youtube? My camera has a memory card that I put in the computer to upload to my computer. That only takes a minute or two. However, when I go to upload that to youtube, they say it will take 8-9 hours!!??

Download a free program called "freemake" found here:http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html

And follow the instructions on this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXm-OvW_jQ

That should get your video files down to a manageable size to upload.

Here's a better place to download directly from freemake http://www.freemake.com/

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My daughter got something figured out to shorten the time.
What was it? Other people might be interested.

I won't be the first Doctorate because I don't have a 9' at home, and I'm not going to set up the table at the pool room with stickers and pay over $8 and hour to do it there. If they saw me putting stickers on their poor equipment, they would have a fit. They're funny that way.
I understand the $8/hour part, but the "little white donuts" aren't required ... they just make things easier. If you have the exam diagrams with you at the table, it's not too difficult to place the balls in the right places ... they don't need to be perfect.

I look forward to seeing you score and videos.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your Exam II videos are not viewable in YouTube yet ("still processing"). Do you know why this is the case? Regardless, I trust you.

Congratulations!!! You just earned the first of the three free diplomas. You are know have a "Master of Pool with Honors." PM or e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send the diploma to you.

FYI, I've added your info to the original post on the 1st page and on the official BU list of graduates.

Keep working and maybe you can reach the Doctorate level.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was it? Other people might be interested.

I understand the $8/hour part, but the "little white donuts" aren't required ... they just make things easier. If you have the exam diagrams with you at the table, it's not too difficult to place the balls in the right places ... they don't need to be perfect.

I look forward to seeing you score and videos.

Catch you later,
Dave

What she tried took less time, but it was basically unwatchable, was all pixelated until you got about 8 feet away from the screen. Going to try JC's method now, and hope to record the test today.

Practice run I got a 147 with the masters test. Was surprising low on a few areas I thought I would do better on, and did better in a few areas than I thought I would. Looks like a pretty good test of skill sets. Helps to see "reality" a little better.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm stuck out of town for a while away from my "girlfriend" (that's what my wife calls my table). When I get back of course I will take the exam.
Good. I look forward to seeing your score.

But concerning the video. For the sake of keeping it real I understand folks would rather watch grass grow or paint dry than another player doing drills. I know I would.
I agree completely, but the videos are required to make it official and to receive one of the three free diplomas. I hope you decide to post the videos.

The videos also provide proof that your score is legitimate ... not that anyone would doubt you. :wink:

I hope you get back to your girlfriend soon,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boy did I have a lot of fun with this. Not because I did well, quite the contrary...I was quite sure going into it that I would do poorly. I simply love the content and the structure.

I didn't even try to keep score, as I knew it would be bad. I spent about 90 minutes working on the drills from the first course.

F1 (cut shot): I did OK, for me. Still poor results, but I wasn't surprised.

F2 (stop shot): Again, OK for me, still not good.

F3 (Follow): 8 -- I felt that I did fairly well on this one, again for my ability. Which leads to....

F4 (Draw): 6 -- I did quite poorly on this one. Draw at distance has always been a challenge for me, and tonight was no exception.

F5 (Stun): 7 -- I was pleasantly surprised with how I did with this. Still wouldn't be a good score, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

F6: 6 (Pocketing) -- Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

F7: 8 (Wagon wheel) -- This was my biggest surprise of the night. Going into it, I felt this would be my biggest challenge, and I did better than expected.

F8: 10 (Grid target) -- I didn't get to this one.

Realize that I am what I consider to be a mediocre APA 5. This was on a 9-footer with moderately tight pockets. After a couple more sessions of work, I will actually keep score for real, and post it accordingly.

I am really thrilled to have this material to work with, in this format. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get back to it some more. Thanks again, folks.
I'm glad you enjoyed the BU Exams. Hopefully, they will encourage you to keep practicing.

Please post your total score (Exam I + Exam II) after you've practiced the exams some more. And if you have a camera and want a free diploma, consider posting videos.

Regards,
Dave

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave i havent taken the test yet, i'm in Germany and been playing some, i'd guess i could get 100 on it with a couple solid weeks of playing on a 9' box with 4.5" pockets, thats just a guess,

question can i take a few practice shots when i go from one shot to the next, i'm not worried about making the ball, i'm just wanting to get the feel for the speed right. or is a start to finish no practice during the exam exam, i cant recall the directions, I watched all 5 videos right when you started this thread.

i'm not really worried about my numbers, i know how i play, but i know people who would really like this and am very excited to share it with them. they are new(er) in pool than me.

very happy for you and a great plan you achieved here,

best
eric:)