Ariel Carmeli Cues?

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I've seen some really nice looking Carmeli cues on the internet but have never had the chance to hit with one of his cues. Can somebody describe the hit of his cues and compare against other top cue makes. Im looking at getting one with an Ivory joint and a balance point ~ 18.5-19" from the butt. I currently play with an Espiritu and want a cue with more forward balance and a bit more feedback when striking the cue ball. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

pip9ball

Snap9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excellent cues

Since I only own 3 AC CUES I guess I might be biased......Just kidding...

To compare it to your current Espiritu.......Well there is no comparison........The AC is in my opinion 10 fold better......Firm hit.....Great Feedback......Tons of available cue ball action.......Excellent craftmenship.............Great Look and Balance.........

Actually I have owned many different cues, but fell in love with the feel of the AC cue...........

The closest comparisons I can give you(my opinion ofcourse):
As for the Hit/Feedback----closest to an AC--Franklin era Southwest
As for English capabilities----closest to an AC----Cognescenti(sp)
As for Look/balance---close comparisons----Southwest or a TAD

One of these days I will snap a few pics of my AC's and post them....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
pip9ball said:
Hi,

I've seen some really nice looking Carmeli cues on the internet but have never had the chance to hit with one of his cues. Can somebody describe the hit of his cues and compare against other top cue makes. Im looking at getting one with an Ivory joint and a balance point ~ 18.5-19" from the butt. I currently play with an Espiritu and want a cue with more forward balance and a bit more feedback when striking the cue ball. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

pip9ball

I've owned two. Closest comparisons are Cognoscenti and Southwest. The hit is somewhere between these two. Good quality workmanship, a little pricey for me tho.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My everyday player, my Ariel, is as good or better than any cue I've owned. Excellent feedback and nice build quality. Its point and shoot--firm but not overly stiff hit. AC has had really good shaftwood since the beginning of the year. I think they are some of the better playing cues out there. Pricing ain't bad at all for what you get. Build quality is better than ever.

Martin

pip9ball said:
Hi,

Thanks,

pip9ball

Attachments

• ACbocoteHoppe2.jpg
    ACbocoteHoppe2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,759

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I've owned two. Closest comparisons are Cognoscenti and Southwest. The hit is somewhere between these two. Good quality workmanship, a little pricey for me tho.[/QUOTE
]
i have 1 for now lovethe hit .got another coming soon .. i love the hit, stiff and on the mark...price is good if u go low u can find some lowenders somewere..

Purdman

Banned
My Experience

My friend has a set. Ivory, Ivory, Ivory. Nothing above the wrap comes together right. I mean even, it just don't look right. One is suppose to be a break cue. The tip flew off when tried. This is a $4,000 pair guys. They look pretty, but I would have to play with one for a while before I purchased. I sure as hell wouldn't buy one without seeing it in person. JMHO and limited experience.
Purdman:cool:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazznpool said:
My everyday player, my Ariel, is as good or better than any cue I've owned. Excellent feedback and nice build quality. Its point and shoot--firm but not overly stiff hit. AC has had really good shaftwood since the beginning of the year. I think they are some of the better playing cues out there. Pricing ain't bad at all for what you get. Build quality is better than ever.

Martin

That's a real sweet looking cue. Is that a bocote forearm?

I have never seen one in person but I know, speaking with other makers, that his cues are very good and that he is well respected.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
I have had about 10 of them and they all hit well. Have known Ariel since Best Billiard days, he is a good guy, won't let a cue out unless it's done right and he doesn't cut corners. He is a cuemaker though and his sense of time is somewhat warped, but for cues he makes a good a cue as anyone.

He studied x-rays of all the great cuemakers while at Best Billiards and knows a lot of the current makers. His designs are attractive in my book and they hit as good as they look. He makes a lot of cues for J & J america and they sell his cues in Taiwan also, hear a certain amount even go to Japan.

jazznpool

Gold Member
Silver Member
Koop, Thanks for the compliment on the cue. It is bocote forearm. I really like figured bocote. Its a great cue wood but I understand lots of people don't like the looks of bocote. One of the 2 shafts that came with this cue is best playing shaft I've owned ever.

Martin

Koop said:
That's a real sweet looking cue. Is that a bocote forearm?

I have never seen one in person but I know, speaking with other makers, that his cues are very good and that he is well respected.

pharaoh68

Banned
pip9ball said:
Hi,

Thanks,

pip9ball

Phillip-
Do not, and I repeat, do NOT go out and buy a Carmelli cue just because you've been seeing some nice looking ones here and there. Hit with several first. Also, examine every inch of his craftsmanship. Make sure it meets your standards. Don't just buy something because it looks nice and others seem to like it. I've played with several before and what I can tell you is this:

pip9ball said:
The closest comparisons I can give you(my opinion ofcourse):
As for the Hit/Feedback----closest to an AC--Franklin era Southwest
As for Look/balance---close comparisons----Southwest or a TAD

This is NOT true. Jerry Franklin is considered by many to have produced some of the greatest playing cues ever made. Firm hit and incredibly response... moreso than most if not all others. His cues are highly coveted and that is certainly not for their design as many were just plain 6 pointers.

As for the look, close comparisons are NOT Southwest or Tad. It is only within the last few years that Carmeli's points begin to line up. And, in his defense, he does quite a bit more design wise than Southwest. However, i have yet to see a single AC cue that I confused for a Southwest, and as for TAD, I'm not even sure that anyone could confuse the two. There is no comparison. Tad Kohara does some of the most intricate inlay work I have ever seen. Ariel Carmeli does good inlay work but they are A) not of the same caliber, and B) of a completely different style.

I am not trying to steer you away from Ariel Carmeli. I do, however, urge you to hit with cues by any cuemaker that you are considering investing in. I would hate to see you invest money in something that you've never hit with and have it turn out to be not quite what you expected. Maybe Carmeli is the guy for you. All I'm saying is make your own comparisons because as you can see, everyone will have different views on the same product. Some for it. Some against it. One man's whiskey is another man's wine.

Good luck in the search.

Pigcarver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:
My friend has a set. Ivory, Ivory, Ivory. Nothing above the wrap comes together right. I mean even, it just don't look right. One is suppose to be a break cue. The tip flew off when tried. This is a $4,000 pair guys. They look pretty, but I would have to play with one for a while before I purchased. I sure as hell wouldn't buy one without seeing it in person. JMHO and limited experience.
Purdman:cool:

Your friend should contact Ariel. If they are really as bad as you say, Ariel will make it right, and if he gives you even the briefest problem about it, PM me, and I'll go strong arm him for you.

Pigcarver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fart sniffer said:
I have had about 10 of them and they all hit well. Have known Ariel since Best Billiard days, he is a good guy, won't let a cue out unless it's done right and he doesn't cut corners. He is a cuemaker though and his sense of time is somewhat warped, but for cues he makes a good a cue as anyone.

He studied x-rays of all the great cuemakers while at Best Billiards and knows a lot of the current makers. His designs are attractive in my book and they hit as good as they look. He makes a lot of cues for J & J america and they sell his cues in Taiwan also, hear a certain amount even go to Japan.

I'm wondering who you are now....I worked at Best Billiards for about 2 years.

Snap9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AC-cues

As I posted above in my previous post-----IN MY OPINION......

Wow, Pharoah---------how to jump off the deep end.........Those were close comparisons..........Not exact.........And quite honestly I am not for sure if Ariel would even want his cues compared to them......I personally think his cues play better than the much desired Southwest cue........I think they look better than a Southwest cue too..........And as for your Tad inlay statement--------------it was a comparison---------Yes Tad does great inlay work------------and I know since I watched Ariel restore close to 10 TAD's almost 10 years ago..........

And onto another response.........Best Billiard was where I met Ariel long ago too........Spent many a day hanging out in that little cue shop where Ariel began his mastering of the cue arts...........

As for having problems with an Ariel..........He will go out of his way to fix any such problem with a cue he has built...........

As for points not lining up Pharoah------------I will call that absurd.........I have never seen one that he has built not line up............I am anal when it comes to nice cue sticks-----------Consider Ariel 10 times more anal than that...............He will not put something out there with his name on it if he would not play with the cue himself or be proud to have his name on it..................

I have an Ariel that is 10 years old has some of the sharpest points I have ever seen on a cue and guess what they all LINE UP............

With all that said------to the original poster-------if you do decide to purchase an AC cue I believe you will not be dissappointed........

jazznpool

Gold Member
Silver Member
I am confident enough in the playability and quality of the Ariel Carmeli cues that I have that I can offer 24 hour approval on the sale of a AC cue. I want you to be happy with your cue purchase and I will do what I can (within reason) to make that happen.

I've owned Gus Szamboti cues made for me, early South West, Scruggs, Joss West, Mottey and many other well made cues. The AC cue I use plays as good or better than any cue I've owned. The quality of build is excellent. I can't speak for AC cue quality from the past, but there have been notable improvements (custom veneers, shaftwood quality, new designs, etc.) over the last year. And, these improvements will continue.

Martin

pharaoh68 said:
Phillip-
Do not, and I repeat, do NOT go out and buy a Carmelli cue just because you've been seeing some nice looking ones here and there. Hit with several first. Also, examine every inch of his craftsmanship. Make sure it meets your standards. Don't just buy something because it looks nice and others seem to like it. I've played with several before and what I can tell you is this:

This is NOT true. Jerry Franklin is considered by many to have produced some of the greatest playing cues ever made. Firm hit and incredibly response... moreso than most if not all others. His cues are highly coveted and that is certainly not for their design as many were just plain 6 pointers.

As for the look, close comparisons are NOT Southwest or Tad. It is only within the last few years that Carmeli's points begin to line up. And, in his defense, he does quite a bit more design wise than Southwest. However, i have yet to see a single AC cue that I confused for a Southwest, and as for TAD, I'm not even sure that anyone could confuse the two. There is no comparison. Tad Kohara does some of the most intricate inlay work I have ever seen. Ariel Carmeli does good inlay work but they are A) not of the same caliber, and B) of a completely different style.

I am not trying to steer you away from Ariel Carmeli. I do, however, urge you to hit with cues by any cuemaker that you are considering investing in. I would hate to see you invest money in something that you've never hit with and have it turn out to be not quite what you expected. Maybe Carmeli is the guy for you. All I'm saying is make your own comparisons because as you can see, everyone will have different views on the same product. Some for it. Some against it. One man's whiskey is another man's wine.

Good luck in the search.

Last edited:

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that cue

jazznpool said:

Martin
Why do you have to revive old thoughts of that damn cue? Im messin with ya........that sure is a sharp looking cue.lol
pharaoh68 makes some viable points. One being that you shouldnt buy a cue without at least playing with one from the same maker. As far as qauility issues with AC I dont think that should be an issue. I have seen and played with several and I was very impressed with the overall cue. I am not an easy sell when it comes to cues. I will say that I would not be hessitant to purchase a cue from AC. Find one and play with one to see if they are the cue for you........................

Snap9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes Jay, Kerry did start out in the same shop. Interesting character I might add. First time I met Kerry I laughed for atleast an hour after I left the place. Very nice guy.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazznpool said:
Koop, Thanks for the compliment on the cue. It is bocote forearm. I really like figured bocote. Its a great cue wood but I understand lots of people don't like the looks of bocote. One of the 2 shafts that came with this cue is best playing shaft I've owned ever.

Martin

I love bocote and really love the look with ebony points. Very sharp looking cue.

My only problem is that I prefer SS joints and don't know how that combo would look?

Regards,
Koop

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Didn't Kerry Zyler start out in the same shop?
Kerry started as an apprentice to Hank Corsair.
He worked at Best Billiards while maintaining his full-time job as x-ray technician until BB was closed.
Kerry took x-rays of several cues from Adams to Szambotti.
He still has the x-rays in his garage.
He makes and does cues full-time now in Garden Grove.