meucci good and bad

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have a question......I've been looking at meucci and wanna buy one but something holding me back from doing it. I've heard a lot of bad review from pool players that I hangout with, Many different reason......The woods aren't as great like it used to be,the price is crazy for the look of the cues,it's very whippy(shaft) also shaft don't last long and crack.

Tell me the good and bad please y'all. Thanks....reply here or PM Me

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Run,Forest run.
There is no good only bad.
They are junk.
Sometimes people will say their Meucci has been great.
But the overwhelming majority of Meucci cues are junk.
I had one in the 80s when supposedly they were better made than today.
The ferrule cracked very soon after getting it then within a year it warped.
It did play very good until it fell apart.
Much better choices out there.

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meucci Quality

I bought a new Meucci from a large and very well respected dealer a few weeks ago. After playing with it for an hour or two, two cracks developed in the laminated shaft. Just returned it today.

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah That's what everyone been saying " don't buy it.....they're beautiful cues but shaft wise are no good and will crack sooner you have it in your hand playing with it" I thought wow and needing to have some people on azbilliards clarify with me on that.

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after many reviews in person and from here, I won't be buying a meucci until Bob Meucci mention about different shaft being made. I don't wanna buy different brand shaft for meucci. I play with original shaft that come with the cue. I own 2 schons and they been good to me. I just wanted to see what other says about meucci before considering buying one. Look like Bob Meucci need to work on shaft problem little more better.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned Meucci's for years and I've yet to run into one that was poorly made or that fell apart, de-laminated or twisted. I've got one 1984 that has a slight wobble in the shaft but the guy I bought it from used to leave it in the car winter nights and not bring it in at night. The cue was poorly taken care of and that's certainly not Meucci's fault.

I have taken slight wobbles out of lots of shafts from lots of different manufacturers due to improper care.

My absolute favorite shaft is the Meucci UW Pro (turned three times to 10.7mm and next is the Pro 12.5.:)

dulaney22

Registered
Got a nice 95-17 in today and shot 15 or so racks. Just got back into shooting a year or so ago from almost 20 of not so much. Needless to say when I used to play Meucci was king and when I got back into it I figured they still were until I got online. Well, saw this used one and pulled the trigger.

Really enjoyed the stick this afternoon. Whippy, vibrating and all lol. Shot well with it and brought back old feelings. Stick is still together in good shape and straight. Got all the spin I could ask for. In other words, they stick bid my command. My mistakes were my mistakes.

Unfortunately for the old Bushka knockoff, I bought a Frey sneaky a couple weeks ago. The Frey will be my player. Much easier to control the cue ball with it. Also prefer the stiffer hit. Too bad I didn't try one ages ago but where I am in Mississippi there wasn't anything but Meucci up the road by Memphis.

Anyway, this is a nice stick that I will keep in place of my Predator.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
It seems these days that Meucci is perhaps one of the most polarizing topics in pool/billiards. (We won't start on aiming systems or LD shafts). So ...

Good:
Back in my shooting days (70-80s), many of our locals (Pittsburgh PA., USA) who were considered good sticks, felt that Meucci was far and away the best you could get outside of a custom built cue. (There weren't as many competitors, and the Internet hadn't been given to us by Mr. Gore yet.) I think they still make a great *looking* stick. I personally liked the feel of the Huebler back then, so it became my main stick for over 30 years. They have put a TON of money into marketing, as well as promoting the sport and sponsoring various events. Apparently Bob (the old man) has always had an open door policy, and is approachable by just about anyone.

Bad:
Many of the older players seem to feel these days that the quality started going downhill in the late 80s or early to mid 90s. Inserts lifting, shafts splitting, ferrules chipping, and generally becoming a mass produced "cheaply" made cue. (while still commanding a higher price.) IIRC, Bob retired, or at least spent less time in the shop - and it got really bad for their reputation. I've heard (although I don't know myself) that he (Bob) got back into the manufacturing business in the last couple years in an effort to address the quality control issues. (Personally, I hope he is successful)

Meucci grew pretty quickly, and when the most recent "boon" hit (think 1986, Color of Money) .. the company grew and grew... and grew - to the point where the individual craftsmanship was basically lost. Now mass-produced on CNC machines ... they kick them out by the tons.

I think in this day and age, the bottom has dropped out of the market for these kinds of sticks - and people willing to spend $300 or more on a stick want a more personal touch.

Just all IMHO,
Ched

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't play well but the workmanship is flawless
jack
Meucci's? Think you got that backwards. I've shot with about 3-4 Meucci's in last couple years and all played great(no BlackDot shafts) but build quality was all over the place. Some are perfect and then one will be pure firewood. Warped, bad inlays, crooked pins, etc. Customer service is pretty bad also.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly, I'm the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to buying Meuccis - both old and new. I have a ton of Bob's cues and only one shaft (an old, old, classic) has any wobble.

Never had a problem with inlays, butt wobble, weight distribution, "hit", or customer service. Bob is a wonderful fellow more than willing to rectify any problem any customer of his runs into.

I love collecting and shooting Meuccis.