Dr. Popper jump cue

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I am also curious about this cue. I saw the video on their website, and it looks like it's custom made to employ the darting technique, which I've never even tried. Which method for jumping is best? Jumping is one of my real weaknesses. I usually just use the full cue and don't even attempt to jump unless the cue ball is about 4 or more ball distances from the obstructing ball. Just never practiced it much, but I should...

madmiller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was selling those for Mark Dimick in Las Vegas for a week and had lots of time practicing with them.
It takes a little getting used to, but it's a very nice tool for close distance jump( when ob and cb half a chalk or chalk distance apart). You can do normal jumps with them too, but I prefer a regular jump cue for that.
And I couldn't jump closer than half a chalk distance with Dr Popper.
The best cue for really close jumps imo is Skipper- the one that Stefano Pelinga sells. I can jump a credit card or a tooth pick distance with it consistently.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I've used one a couple times. I don't like it and wouldn't recommend it. It such a specialty that is really not that useful to begin with. 9 out of 10 times there is a better alternative to a jump that close and even if it is your best play, there are WWWAAAAYYYY better cues that jump as close as that thing, that WON'T fall apart, get bent, crack the shaft, etc. With my Keith Easy Jump I have cleared full ball as close as 1". never in an actual match, only messing around.

I do not recommend for any practical application.

best,

Justin

madmiller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that I like about Dr Popper - that it never needs chalk, also it's very small and breaks down, so you can easily put it in your case. But one of the things that I didn't like is that if you shoot a lot of jump shots , it keeps unscrewing at the joint and sometimes the joint can pop out, especially after high jumps when you shoot a cue ball over a foot or two in the air. But it only happened when I was selling them and I jumped a lot of balls, a few hundred every hour. In a real game I don't think it would be a problem, unless you are a trick shot artist.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I was selling those for Mark Dimick in Las Vegas for a week and had lots of time practicing with them.
It takes a little getting used to, but it's a very nice tool for close distance jump( when ob and cb half a chalk or chalk distance apart). You can do normal jumps with them too, but I prefer a regular jump cue for that.
And I couldn't jump closer than half a chalk distance with Dr Popper.
The best cue for really close jumps imo is Skipper- the one that Stefano Pelinga sells. I can jump a credit card or a tooth pick distance with it consistently.

How do you make it go up and forward without the cb hitting the shaft twice when it's that close?

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed

I've used one a couple times. I don't like it and wouldn't recommend it. It such a specialty that is really not that useful to begin with. 9 out of 10 times there is a better alternative to a jump that close and even if it is your best play, there are WWWAAAAYYYY better cues that jump as close as that thing, that WON'T fall apart, get bent, crack the shaft, etc. With my Keith Easy Jump I have cleared full ball as close as 1". never in an actual match, only messing around.

I do not recommend for any practical application.

best,

Justin

I decided to pass on the Popper because it's so specialized and bought a Varney J/B, which allows me to use a traditional jump as well as a dart technique. With a good J/B you should be able to get an accurate jump to within a 1/2 ball. In a match I wouldn't feel too comfortable risking anything closer than that. There's a time and a place for jumping and kicking, and it's best to know when to do so, rather than forcing a situation and running into an issue. I think there's better value in a good J/B, or a dedicated jumper than with a Popper.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Call me old fashioned if you want, I think that for a jump cue to be legal it should at least bear more resemblance to a real cue than a fishing pole.

Just my $0.02

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Call me old fashioned if you want, I think that for a jump cue to be legal it should at least bear more resemblance to a real cue than a fishing pole.

Just my $0.02

Actually, Mark being a hunter fashioned the Dr. Popper jump cue from an aluminum arrow. But I imagine you could fish with it if ya wanted. Shoot it might even make a nice fencing foil!

I believe Mark would tell you it is definitely a specialty tool. I have seen him prefer his normal jump cue over his Dr Popper for certain shots. If you learn how to use the Dr Popper, it can be a valuable asset to carry.

Ken

dbldown

Banned
dr popper

The cue jumps really well up close. I can jump from an eigth to a quarter inch away. hard to use when sending the cb mountable far. Cue is technically not legal because the tip/ferrule is wider than the shaft above it. weighs 4 oz and is legal length of at least 40 inches.