Attn: Brunswick Titlist guru's I need some info

Killer Miller

LM Cues
Silver Member
I came across this most excellent find the other day and have been trying to gather info on it. So far I've found this info:

Ebony Hoppe cues are the most rare, followed by Braz. Rosewood then P.H.

During the war, brass was not used on the cues. They needed brass for aircraft and ammo.

This original shipping tube does not have a Zip Code. Zip Codes started in 1947. So in my opinion, this cue is from 1941-1947.

This cue actually rolls VERY good. I will put it on my lathe and spin it later.

No cracked rings.

The Hoppe ring is Ivory, both ferrules are Ivory ( I cleaned them up just to verify)

The points don't match up, 2 high -2 lower. They are however in excellent condition.

I've seen these tubes(alone) go for $125.00 + in better cond.

Questions are:

What is this package worth?

Any idea of exactly what year this was made?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 462

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
The joint and the label are better ways to date your great collectible, and guys far better equipped to date and value your cue than I so I'll leave it to them, but the use of zip codes dates to the early 1960s.

Thanks

Kevin

Killer Miller

LM Cues
Silver Member
OOPS!
I was given bad info. I see through Wikipedia the Postal Zones were in effect 1943-1963. So Is there a way to date this cue?

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
OOPS!
I was given bad info. I see through Wikipedia the Postal Zones were in effect 1943-1963. So Is there a way to date this cue?

Hang in there, there's about 137 guys who can date that cue accurately and about 4000 willing to state their opinion. Send a PM to Tate.

Kevin

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The 1940 census doesn't show a clearfield ave or Rd 2 in Norristown. So I would be looking after that.

JV

Killer Miller

LM Cues
Silver Member
Kevin, I definitely have the curly B on the sticker. According to your buddys website it is ?-1945 so it is looking better.
Thanks
Larry

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This is an amazing find.

Just a word of caution - it does look like ebony to me but oxidized rosewood can look just like ebony. You have to hold it up to the light, sunlight is best - rosewood will cast a reddish color, ebony stays black or shows black with brown streaks.

Can you show a picture of the forearm signature? I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like but it will help to see for myself.

Chris

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Kevin, I definitely have the curly B on the sticker. According to your buddys website it is ?-1945 so it is looking better.
Thanks
Larry

Larry

What about the Hoppe signature?

That's not Tate's site, although the site owner credits his knowledge. He must be working to ignore us in our time of need. Imagine that.

Kevin

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
This is an amazing find.

Just a word of caution - it does look like ebony to me but oxidized rosewood can look just like ebony. You have to hold it up to the light, sunlight is best - rosewood will cast a reddish color, ebony stays black or shows black with brown streaks.

Can you show a picture of the forearm signature? I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like but it will help to see for myself.

Chris

That's what I'm talking about.