Congrats and welcome!

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rules queation!
I hit down on the cue ball to loop around a ball to get a good hit when snookered. Becauese I am hitting down if the cue ball leaves the cloth after contact with my tip even though I jump over no part of the snooker is that a 7 point foul? I always thought it to be a foul.
Thanks lots
Nick :)

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Hi Nick,

I pretty sure that is not considered a foul. I've seen it done in pro snooker a gazillion times and a foul was never called.

gr. Dave

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
No. It is not a foul. The rule has changed subtly over the years. As long as you don't avoid hitting any part of a ball you would otherwise have hit by leaving the bed of the table it is OK. You can even leave the table completely - bounce off the lightshade - as long as it comes to rest on the bed of the table it's legal. I think we've all had forced balls pop out of corner pockets and run along the top of the rail to drop into the centre pocket at one time or another.

Similarly if you hit the object ball above the centreline my understanding was that it's OK as long as the cue ball doesn't continue over that top of it - ie it falls back to your side of the ball. It may be that this was changed and it's now ok as long as you hit any part of it on the way over. I don't have a copy of the latest rules.

Boro Nut

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jump shots too!

I thought you could not shoot jump shoots at all. You say allowed or not?
Thanks

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Hi Nick,

A jump shot is not allowed, it is a foul.
A masse / piquee shot where the white bounces slightly is allowed, as long as you don't jump over any part of the obstructing ball.
I have never seen a foul being called for playing a masse/piquee, whether the white bounces or not, as long as the cueball hit the correct objectball first.

gr. Dave

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Okay, a couple of questions( I'm brand new to this type of pool)

1. is snooker going to suck if a friend and I play it on a 9 footer with regular pockets

2. do you break the rack like you would in straight pool

3. am I going to need a different triangle for 2 1/8 balls, will they be all loosey goosey if I use a regular triangle

Thanks, Jake << possible future snooker fiend

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Okay, a couple of questions( I'm brand new to this type of pool)

1. is snooker going to suck if a friend and I play it on a 9 footer with regular pockets

2. do you break the rack like you would in straight pool

3. am I going to need a different triangle for 2 1/8 balls, will they be all loosey goosey if I use a regular triangle

Thanks, Jake << possible future snooker fiend

1. It's not going to suck, but it will be nothing like the real thing either. Without a 12 footer, you'll never truly experience a long-pot, or tight pockets
2. Yes
3. Pool-triangle will probably do the trick, as will your hands.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
okay another question

what kind of point deduction penalties are issued for each foul

Jake

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
nick serdula said:
I thought you could not shoot jump shoots at all. You say allowed or not?
Thanks

Jump shots are a fouls, but you need to understand the definition of a jump shot. It's only a jump shot in snooker when it involves jumping a ball.

Boro Nut

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
okay another question

what kind of point deduction penalties are issued for each foul

Jake

Generally, the value of the ball on, or the ball fouled, whichever is the higher, with a minimum of 4 points.

Example:
Ball on is red. Striker hits red but causes blue to be pocketed. Penalty 5 points - value of the blue incorrectly pocketed.

Ball on is red. Striker hits red but goes in-off. Penalty 4 points - (minimum penalty).

Ball on is pink. Striker hits the pink but pockets a red. Penalty 6 points - value of the ball on (pink).

Yellow is potted scoring two points but is incorrectly respotted (ie not correctly placed on it's appointed spot). Striker pots red without noticing. Penalty - 4 points (minimum penalty - value of the ball incorrectly spotted).

Being snookered after a foul the striker nominates the blue ball in place of the green (the ball on). Striker cause the blue to bounce and come to rest off the table. Penalty 4 points (minimum penalty - value of the ball on) as the blue is considered to be a green.

Red has been pocketed, but striker then fouls (eg touches a ball) before a colour has been nominated. Penalty 7 points - value of the black (assumed to be ball on).

The first impact of the cue ball governs all strokes for all games (snooker and billiards) so if you are on a red and hit it, but then the cue ball glances off the black into the pocket, the penalty is 4 points (in-off the red) not 7 points (in-off the black).

If a foul is not called/awarded before the next stroke is played, it is condoned. This includes the instance of playing when a ball has been incorrectly spotted. All points scored up to the foul being awarded are scored to the striker.

Boro Nut

Last edited: