Unwanted english

eNkel

Registered
Wanted to share a little bit more from my work now:

I lengthened my bridge length again

My head position was just "broken" I would say... I noticed this when I applied left or right english. With left english, my shaft appears at the left of my vision center, when I used right english, my shaft was at the right side, I think you know what I mean. So I changed this to have the shaft consistent on one side and it helps in being more consistent and more comfortable.

Changed completely to a pendulum stroke and damn... It is hard. Especially to have my upper arm still throughout the whole process gives me a hard time. One question:
Is it okay to have a slight elbow drop? The problem is with an open bridge. Especially on power shots, when the shaft hits the felt, it bounces off my V from my hand. When I watch Feijen as an example, I think he is doing exactly that.

Here a video from the side:
Cueball up and down four table lengths nearly straight
https://youtu.be/gMb8NPuCTks

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L09 mit Tapatalk

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thirst: Thank you guys for the detailed answers.
I want to add two points;
I was shooting with draw, the last stroke, which was straight in the video, was follow on the cue ball. The unwanted english effect is only so strong on draw, but sometimes a little bit on normal shots too.
And I'm learning with the PAT System and the books from Ralph Eckert, maybe this is clearing up a few things:

I was watching down the line on the foot spot, we have white lines so I have a target.

The elbow drop comes from the instructions in one of Ralph Eckert's books. When I don't use elbow drop, I dont have much follow through anymore. Not even half a diamond distance. But I know what you mean, because I can see it too. When I concentrate about less elbow drop when I stroke, it gets a little bit better, but I dont get good draw action anymore and the stroke gets "forced", if you know what I mean.

I will try this and report it.

Keep you guys updated and give you more videos. Thanks again!

Look out! The length of follow through is way mis-stated.Find your own follow through position and stay with it..

randyg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With left english, my shaft appears at the left of my vision center, when I used right english, my shaft was at the right side, I think you know what I mean. So I changed this to have the shaft consistent on one side and it helps in being more consistent and more comfortable.
It sounds like you changed from centering your vision over the CB to centering it over the stick. That means you're seeing more clearly where your stick is pointed, but maybe less clearly how the balls are aligned. I do it that way too, but I recognize the tradeoff and think it's best for me, especially since the way I aim is primarily about where the stick is pointing.

The problem is with an open bridge. Especially on power shots, when the shaft hits the felt, it bounces off my V from my hand.
I use an open bridge and my shaft bounces off the V with just about every shot except centerball (yep, even with draw). It can be distracting, but otherwise it doesn't affect the shot. I've learned to ignore it.

I recommend not trying to hold the shaft down in the V with your grip hand because that can add grip interference to your stroke. I think you should probably let the shaft bounce if you can learn to ignore it, and otherwise use a closed bridge.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
In reference to the first video only, I didn't watch any others.
What I'm seeing is as your hand meets your body your hand arcs away from your body, then after your hand passes your body you're back online. Depending on your stroke speed, this arc is shorter or longer.

When I was beginner pool player at 4, my dad taped a weighted string just above and centered over my eyes. It then draped on (just touching) the center of my nose. As long as I kept my head level and didn't rock fore/aft, the pendulum didn't swing much. It helped me keep a steady head and let my arm do the swinging.

Decades later a pool mate shot with his head a good 15-25 degrees tilted. To correct him I'd say, "Mike, you're painting again" and he straightened up. Now he's on the upper east coast (US) and I hear, shooting much better.
More POWERS to you Mike. ;)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
In reference to the first video only, I didn't watch any others.

What I'm seeing is as your hand meets your body your hand arcs away from your body, then after your hand passes your body you're back online. Depending on your stroke speed, this arc is shorter or longer.

When I was beginner pool player at 4, my dad taped a weighted string just above and centered over my eyes. It then draped on (just touching) the center of my nose. As long as I kept my head level and didn't rock fore/aft, the pendulum didn't swing much. It helped me keep a steady head and let my arm do the swinging.

Decades later a pool mate shot with his head a good 15-25 degrees tilted. To correct him I'd say, "Mike, you're painting again" and he straightened up. Now he's on the upper east coast (US) and I hear, shooting much better.

More POWERS to you Mike. ;)

That’s why I always wore a hat to keep my hair out my face because if I didn’t I had that propensity to cock my head.....I teach a plumb head to students....this is how we use our eyes all day everyday.

That cocked head causes the nearsies.....nearly make everything....but don’t make nothing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro