Keeping your chalk moist

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Is it very hot in your basement? Maybe the lights are hot too? Maybe it's multiple factors contributing to your problem. Humidity and heat? Just a thought.

Hmmm, I do tend to keep it warm down there.. I'm going to do some experiments and see what variables are effecting this.

The thread is 5 pages so clearly the pool world must know.

b

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I go to a local tobacco store where they sell disposable moisture packs to be used with pipe tobacco. They cost $0.99 and lasts 4-6 weeks. It turns hard when used up & does not leak. Ive used it for years with great success. Hope this helps.

Thank you - this is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'd have to imagine it last longer than a carrot, however it doesn't look as vegan.

b

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I personally prefer my chalk dry, but hey whatever floats your boat. :D

Any small piece of unglazed or broken ceramic can be soaked in water and will last a while depending on the humidity where you live. In a sealed plastic baggie, you can get days. You can buy a miniature terra cotta flower pot for a buck or so, break it up etc.
Old pipe and cigar trick. Mimics a clay brick in a humidor. :thumbup:

This is a great tip thanks.

I love Azb - long thread filled with nonsense, pseudo-science and a few actual useful tips.. My kind of place :)

b

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Chalk basically works like wood and will acclimate to it's environment. Billiard Chalk works between 0% and 12% moisture content... To wick or lose moisture it does require air movement so anything that will keep the chalk out of the air should do the trick of slowing changes down. Airtight of course being the best option. We ship in airtight boxes for that reason and have dustcaps that are also airtight.....

At 25% Humidity chalk is going to end up at about 3% moisture content... 50% Humidity it will get to around 6.5% humidity and at 75% humidity it's going to be close to 10%.. 100% humidity and you can have issues as the chalk will exceed 12% and that where it will start to miscue.

Chalk actually grips better with some moisture even tho that is counter intuitive and we ship at under 4%.. If you want to drive moisture out of your chalk simply toss it in the oven on 200 degrees F and leave it for 30 minutes to an hour....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Chalk basically works like wood and will acclimate to it's environment. Billiard Chalk works between 0% and 12% moisture content... To wick or lose moisture it does require air movement so anything that will keep the chalk out of the air should do the trick of slowing changes down. Airtight of course being the best option. We ship in airtight boxes for that reason and have dustcaps that are also airtight.....

At 25% Humidity chalk is going to end up at about 3% moisture content... 50% Humidity it will get to around 6.5% humidity and at 75% humidity it's going to be close to 10%.. 100% humidity and you can have issues as the chalk will exceed 12% and that where it will start to miscue.

Chalk actually grips better with some moisture even tho that is counter intuitive and we ship at under 4%.. If you want to drive moisture out of your chalk simply toss it in the oven on 200 degrees F and leave it for 30 minutes to an hour....

Good post Chris. And why I've never had an issue with any brand of chalk in my 35%-40% humidity controlled basement. If I got rid of my 2 de-humidifiers, I'd probably be at least 80% in the summer time. But, the chalk would not be the only thing moist at that rate.

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
anyone have any clever methods to store and keep chalk moist? I play mostly on my home table in my basement and i have a de-humidifier running to keep the room dry.
Yes - this is a lot of words about chalk, but man it's driving me nuts to have a pile of dust on my shaft... Thanks, b

Any updates willy?
You had several weeks for your Chalk test.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Anyone have any clever methods to store and keep chalk moist? I play mostly on my home table in my basement and I have a de-humidifier running to keep the room dry.

I've noticed that after about 3 days any chalk I have down there basically turns into dust. For awhile I tried every chalk on the market (except Kamui) thinking it was that. I've tried keeping the chalk in a ziploc bag and in my case when not using it and it doesn't seem to work. The humidity is around 45%.

I was wondering about a little piece of sponge in there, or something like that. The oddest idea I have come up with is to put a small piece of a carrot in my chalk ziploc. I know this sounds insane, but I've used carrots before to keep some herb from drying out.

Yes - this is a lot of words about chalk, but man it's driving me nuts to have a pile of dust on my shaft...

Thanks,

b

You should get a pack of chalk condoms, they are made to keep the moisture in and protect your chalk from dryness. Available at most pharmacies and many grocery stores, in multiple sizes and some are ribbed for your pleasure.......

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
You should get a pack of chalk condoms, they are made to keep the moisture in and protect your chalk from dryness. Available at most pharmacies and many grocery stores, in multiple sizes and some are ribbed for your pleasure.......

I hate those chalk condoms.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any clever methods to store and keep chalk moist? I play mostly on my home table in my basement and I have a de-humidifier running to keep the room dry.

I've noticed that after about 3 days any chalk I have down there basically turns into dust. For awhile I tried every chalk on the market (except Kamui) thinking it was that. I've tried keeping the chalk in a ziploc bag and in my case when not using it and it doesn't seem to work. The humidity is around 45%.

I was wondering about a little piece of sponge in there, or something like that. The oddest idea I have come up with is to put a small piece of a carrot in my chalk ziploc. I know this sounds insane, but I've used carrots before to keep some herb from drying out.

Yes - this is a lot of words about chalk, but man it's driving me nuts to have a pile of dust on my shaft...

Thanks,

b

I spit in my opponents chalk. I like to help him out.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to put a piece of lettuce in my wee,er, HERBS to keep it from drying out.:thumbup:

KWilliams

Registered
Try a Boveda 72% RH humidity pack inside a Glad freezer bag.

It holds humidity in cigars for months. Should work perfectly for chalk.

Last edited: