1991 Munich Masters

kiss shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well - I really do not remember the shot itself, but...:

Back in 1991 there was a big international tournament in Munich.
That was the tourny where Jeff Carter lost in the finals to Earl Strickland.

There was a lot side action going on.... - ...like:

- Toni Deigner & Thomas Engert were playing Mike LeBron (Mike won),
- Ralf Ma hustled Oliver Ortmann in straight pool (went out even(!),
- ...lots to tell, but here is the nice little story about the Miz:

On one of the warm up tables there was a japanese guy (I don't remember his name) trying a pretty hard shot over and over again. But without success!

In the meanwhile a big fat guy in an Hawai shirt and bermuda shorts came along and was watching the japanese guy...
I just thought: "Oh man - why does that tourist risks disturbing the japanese guy?!?"
I almost went crazy when this fat tourist headed the japanese and asked him, what he was trying there... (Man - I was mad!)

After a short explanation the "tourist" took the japanese's cue and executed maybe 3 or 4 times in a row a perfect shot!!!

H@lly shit - after a short while somebody came over and told me that was Steve Mizerak!

That was the moment I started to hesitate before judging somebody! :wink:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Well - I really do not remember the shot itself, but...:

Back in 1991 there was a big international tournament in Munich.
That was the tourny where Jeff Carter lost in the finals to Earl Strickland.

There was a lot side action going on.... - ...like:

- Toni Deigner & Thomas Engert were playing Mike LeBron (Mike won),
- Ralf Ma hustled Oliver Ortmann in straight pool (went out even(!),
- ...lots to tell, but here is the nice little story about the Miz:

On one of the warm up tables there was a japanese guy (I don't remember his name) trying a pretty hard shot over and over again. But without success!

In the meanwhile a big fat guy in an Hawai shirt and bermuda shorts came along and was watching the japanese guy...
I just thought: "Oh man - why does that tourist risks disturbing the japanese guy?!?"
I almost went crazy when this fat tourist headed the japanese and asked him, what he was trying there... (Man - I was mad!)

After a short explanation the "tourist" took the japanese's cue and executed maybe 3 or 4 times in a row a perfect shot!!!

H@lly shit - after a short while somebody came over and told me that was Steve Mizerak!

That was the moment I started to hesitate before judging somebody! :wink:

Mere details, but actually, the big tourney in which Jeff Carter lost in the finals against Earl Strickland was the World 9-Ball Championships in Bergheim in 1990 (I was there, and so was Mizerak, and I do seem to remember that shirt you're talking about, although he may have worn it with regularity back then). The Japanese pro you're thinking of may be former World 9-Ball Champion Takeshi Okumura. As to the Brunswick Munich Masters, Francisco Bustamante was the winner in both 1990 and 1991.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Mere details, but actually, the big tourney in which Jeff Carter lost in the finals against Earl Strickland was the Word 9-Ball Championships in Bergheim in 1990 (I was there, and so was Mizerak, and I do seem to remember that shirt you're talking about, although he may have worn it with regularity back then). The Japanese pro you're thinking of may be former World 9-Ball Champion Takeshi Okumura. As to the Brunswick Munich Masters, Francisco Bustamante was the winner in both 1990 and 1991.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.i[/i]

That's the way I remember it, too...didn't attend either year, but I was stationed in Germany at the time and remember Busty was entered in that tournament as "American" and had been playing over there for awhile...the German leagues (amateur and pro) had quotas on the number of Americans that could play in various events, so having a Filipino player of his caliber carried as an American rubbed us the wrong way...not that I wouldn't love to claim him as an American, especially for Mosconi! :grin:

kiss shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mere details, but actually, the big tourney in which Jeff Carter lost in the finals against Earl Strickland was the World 9-Ball Championships in Bergheim in 1990 (I was there, and so was Mizerak, and I do seem to remember that shirt you're talking about, although he may have worn it with regularity back then). The Japanese pro you're thinking of may be former World 9-Ball Champion Takeshi Okumura. As to the Brunswick Munich Masters, Francisco Bustamante was the winner in both 1990 and 1991.

Yep - you're right! It was in Bergheim :)
And yes - it was Takeshi!

Thanks - now I remember again... :)

And you know what - just the day after the finals I met Jeff Carter back in Frankfurt hustling against a friend of mine. He took a house cue and ran 6 games in a row!!!!!!

nickinswiss

Bustamante won the first masters, the second went to Tom Storm from Sweden, who beat Bustamante 3-2 sets

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti